IGNORED

838-IO Plus PREORDER is UP!

Shift838

All,

I have opened the 838-IO Plus preorder on my site...

Below is the information:

Please read the shipping info at the below link.

I do have 3 REV A cards left if users don't want to wait for the preorder boards to come in.  Email or PM me and I can get them out.  First come first served.

Click ME to preorder --> 838IO Plus REV A (fwscart.com)

Demonstration Video: 

Info:

838-IO Plus PREORDER

This is a preorder only.  Preorders will be closed on May 2, 2022 @ 9:00 a.m. CST.

Shipping:

Please ensure you select the right shipping method with the appropriate amount of insurance for the items you purchase.  If you only use for example USPS Priority mail and $50 standard insurance and you spent $500 then it is only insured for $50 and I will not cover anything other than what was insured.

If you want additional insurance than what is offered you can go ahead and checkout and email me at shift838sup@gmail.com with your name and order number and how much more you want to add.  I can invoice you via paypal for the additional amount to add.

Boards and parts will be ordered on May 3, 2022 and will take around 2 weeks to be received.

Orders will be filled based on order number. (first in, first out).

Card Information:

All cards will be tested before being shipped on the below TI-99/4A test system:

• TI-99/4A
  • 32K CARD
  • FDC
  • TIPI
  • IDE Hard Disk Controller
  • 838-Speech

This unit replaces the original Texas Instruments Flex Cable Interface card.

This replacement removes the firehose type cable and elephant foot connector that plugs into the 99/4A console side port with a vertical standing interface utilizing a DB37 twisted paired cable that plugs in from the back to reduce desk real estate.

Allows for expansion within the side port connector with an optional 32k expansion card to free up an extra slot on the PEB. Additional expansion cards are currently in design mode.

• 3D case not included but can be added to order. Please allow one day to print
    • Case Option #1 : Standard Case smooth, no racing edges (like racing stripes) - All black Case with printed identification labels
    • Case Option #2 : Standard Case with Racing Edge cuts (all black case) with printed identification labels
  • Cable not included, must be added as option.
  • 32K expansion module not included must be added as option.

I have verified cables will work with 3, 4, 4.5 and 5 foot lengths in a twisted pair configuration.  If you elect not to purchase the cable from me please let me know so I can provide you the wiring diagram and what type of cable to buy. 

Standard off the shelf molded DB37 cables will not work longer than about 3 feet.

If you want to print your own 3D case I can provide the STL files for printing, just get in touch with me.

PEB-Board.jpeg

IMG_3062.jpeg

cable.JPG

32k.jpg

CASE1.JPG

CASE1-2.JPG

CASE2.JPG

CASE2-1.JPG

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 5

Ordered.  Both it and the speech card.  Can't wait to take it for a spin.  Will probably do a review when it arrives. 

This is (at least) two really exciting things for me: 

1) A PEB connectivity solution that allows me to place the TI-99 and PEB connector within a 19" rack, which is where most of my hardware normally lives. 

2) An extra long, non-flat PEB cable (ordered the 5' cable) which allows me to place the PEB on a separate rack from the console itself. 

48 minutes ago, videofx said:

Thank you sir!

Pre- ordering!

Here are the 2 cases I am offering.  One smooth and one with the grooves..

Link below:

http://shift838.99er.net/downloads/838IOPCASES.zip

i use Cura to print on my Ender 5 plus

material PLA

Standard quality

20% infill

nozzle temp 200 

bed temp 60

.2mm layers

use a Brim

Edited by Shift838

Case information:

This file contains both the smooth and the ridged case for the 838 IO Plus side port card.

These cases will fit both the SMD and through-hole versions of the card.

The case will be tight and will take a small amount of manipulation to get the IOP Side Card PCB to go in.
Usually around the 44 pin edge connector and then the top right of the card to snap it in to align with pcb mount holes.

Case Assembly Parts:

8 x M3 knurled inserts.  ones that are 3mm deep
4 x M3 machine screws 8mm length
4 x M3 machine screws for pcb 32k pcb mounting
4 x m2 machine screws for IOP pcb mounting to case
4 x m2 nuts
4 x m2 lock washers

Printer Settings.

Layer Height : .2mm
Initial Layer Height : .2mm
Infill : 20%
Bed Temp: 60C
Nozzle Temp: 200C
Flow : 100%
Speed 80mm/s
Build Plate Adhesion: Brim

• Like 1

Oof, that support in the switch well is gonna be hard to get out. >.<

You should turn off supports, and enable bridging instead.

You should also use an xacto to clean off the remaining bits of brim on the back half. The ribs line up between the back and the sides. The thin window of material in the model is to prevent the brim generation routine from generating brim inside the ribbed areas. It is meant to get cut off after printing.

Edited by wierd_w

Oof, that support in the switch well is gonna be hard to get out. >.  
You should turn off supports, and enable bridging instead.

You should also use an xacto to clean off the remaining bits of brim on the back half. The ribs line up between the back and the sides. The thin window of material in the model is to prevent the brim generation routine from generating brim inside the ribbed areas. It is meant to get cut off after printing.

I actually had an outer brim that didn’t touch this case. So there’s no brim to clean up. It’s just the way it printed it.

About the support piece - it was super easy to pop out.