IGNORED

2600 (Darth Vader) with static sound and no color.

TonySoprano

I have a 2600 that is just static and the color is well off, there is a hint of color when you power it on, but it fades to dull b&w like color. There is no sound at all, it is all static. I've tried Channel 2 - 3, and different power supplies and RF switch boxes. Anything I can check inside the machine? I have no problem desoldering/soldering any chips etc. as long as I know what I'm looking for.

http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/schematics/Schematic_2600A_High.html

There is a schematic there and I found the Sound Adjustment' date=' but I don't have a proper allen key to adjust it yet.. Dunno if that will work[/quote']

baring the allen key.. you can probably just use a tiny little electonics terminating skrew driver to work that pot.

you might want to squirt soem contact cleaner in there as well.. in fact.. clean the entire board.. it can only help

There aren't really any specific adjustments for just the sound. what you can adjust is the RF tuner. That is most likely what is causing your static like sound and could have been part of the color problem as well. I had a CV that would only do BW and had nothing but static. I little turn clockwise I believe on the RF bar and boom...Sound is crystal clear. Didn't fix the BW problem though. I ended up having to basically resolder almost all the points I could find on that CV. At some point something I did worked, because I have color again on my CV.

Anyway, I would adjust that RF tower and see if you can get the sound back.

:)

Good news!!

I did some more experimenting tonight and I managed to fix it by just reheating each of the pins on the TIA chip. I guess there may have been a loose contact somewhere...i also checked the schematic and resoldered any of the parts specific to the Pin 13 on the TIA. Seemed to work as now I have sound...

I changed the pots around again with the sound working, and nothing seemed to change at all. What do those pots actually adjust???

I changed the pots around again with the sound working' date=' and nothing seemed to change at all. What do those pots actually adjust???[/quote']

I'm only aware of one pot on the 2600...it adjusts the chroma delay for the video. There is also a variable inductor near the RF section. It adjusts the RF carrier frequency, ie the VHF broadcast frequency of the 2600. What you should do here is make sure your tv is fine tuned properly (while watching a broadcast show) and then switch to the atari and adjust its RF inductor until you get the best picture. I've never needed to adjust the audio inductor. But part of what the RF section is doing is mixing (in the signal processing sense...ie multiplying or modulating) the audio into the RF signal, creating the required audio sideband. When demodulating the signal, the receiver expects the audio sideband to be at a specific frequency relative to the RF carrier. The audio inductor adjusts the distance (in frequency) between the carrier and the audio sideband.

Long answer to a short question. :)

-Chris

PS. Be sure to use a PLASTIC tool when adjusting those 2 inductors. If you use metal tools, they'll interfere with the inductor's magnetic field and it'll be really tough to get the inductor adjusted to where you want it.