IGNORED

Amiga CD32 RGB help

NAMSS Gamer

I have an NTSC Amiga CD32 modded to output PAL or NTSC via switch and have the Kipper riser that includes RGB video. I just got the RGB to SCART cable for Amiga computers plugged from the Amiga to my RetroTINK 5x and although the picture mostly works, I’m annoyed by the video having some effect on the screen. I need some help on this before I can install my TerribleFire 330 device I just got along with the cable. Can anyone help me fix the video, please?

34D398B9-4748-4C73-B63A-46B603DA45DC.jpeg

03A29BF9-0141-4F77-A8A9-CEA0BCF511DA.jpeg

Not sure, but looks like it could be interference from the CD32's power supply or your video cable if not shielded well. I've had CD32 supplies (the serviceable style, not the original brick with the faux cooling fins) that have produced such distortion, even when using nice shielded cables though. Including RGB.

If you don't have spare/different power supplies and different cables to swap out, I'd start by moving any video cables away from any power supplies. Including the wall wart types as shown in the pic above. 

And maybe try adding some ferrite ring EMI/RFI magnets to the ends of your video cables if you have some laying around.

4 hours ago, save2600 said:

Not sure, but looks like it could be interference from the CD32's power supply or your video cable if not shielded well. I've had CD32 supplies (the serviceable style, not the original brick with the faux cooling fins) that have produced such distortion, even when using nice shielded cables though. Including RGB.

If you don't have spare/different power supplies and different cables to swap out, I'd start by moving any video cables away from any power supplies. Including the wall wart types as shown in the pic above. 

And maybe try adding some ferrite ring EMI/RFI magnets to the ends of your video cables if you have some laying around.

Got the video to work. It was an aftermarket power supply that i was using and the original power supply that came with the CD32 eliminated the artificial effect. I think the other power supply wasn’t providing enough power.

Good to hear! Is your aftermarket supply one of the modern switching supplies (laptop style small rectangular brick) by chance? They can be noisy. IIRC, they provide a little more amperage though, so shouldn't be a power problem per se. Last modern switching supply I looked into actually provided a little more voltage on the 5v rail, but think it was still within tolerance. 

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Good to hear! Is your aftermarket supply one of the modern switching supplies (laptop style small rectangular brick) by chance? They can be noisy. IIRC, they provide a little more amperage though, so shouldn't be a power problem per se. Last modern switching supply I looked into actually provided a little more voltage on the 5v rail, but think it was still within tolerance. 

It wasn’t a switching laptop cable. I mean I got the power supply from an ordinary ebay user because I felt the original supply is old and may break in the future. But I guess I’ll have to return the other supply and get a much better replacement if I’m gonna use the TF330.

1 hour ago, NAMSS Gamer said:

It wasn’t a switching laptop cable. I mean I got the power supply from an ordinary ebay user because I felt the original supply is old and may break in the future. But I guess I’ll have to return the other supply and get a much better replacement if I’m gonna use the TF330.

Okay, but a CD32 + TF330 + CF card is just fine with the original/stock power supply. Been running such a setup for years.

Noise like that is typical of a switching PSU that has excessive levels of noise. It doesn't necessarily mean it's not providing enough power. A decent switching PSU shouldn't produce that noise. I've occasionally seen that sort of thing (and similar audio noise) when using PicoPSUs with laptop chargers. Switching the charger for another solved the issue.