IGNORED

1008 K Axlon Compatible Board w/Base RAM and no soldering

reifsnyderb

Early testing on the 1056 Board for the 400 is positive.  SpartaDOS X runs, Bank tests show the banks and that they are functional, the BASIC cartridge shows the RAM, and the most important thing is it passes the M.U.L.E. test.  Since this all works, the /S4, /S5, RD4, and RD5 lines must me working correctly.  Pictures and more information coming soon.

• Like 1

The first picture shows the mainboard jumpers that have to be soldered on and the second picture shows the 1056 Board for the 400.  These jumpers are the same jumpers required by the Atari 400 48k upgrade that Atari made.  Resistors R4 and R5 as well as a couple OR gates from U41 add the circuitry omitted from the 400 for /S4, /S5, RD4, and RD5.

mainboard_jumpers.thumb.JPG.6e21ddcc68d3531d38891aa109adfa30.JPG

1056_board_400.thumb.JPG.11dd36c4bb2bf3b5e2a4373621777423.JPG

Edited by reifsnyderb

I have a dormant website that was going to be used for something machine tool related and decided to re-purpose it because Wordpress and Woocomerce was already on it.  It is http://www.5cfab.com  

(5c is related to 5c collets...used in machining.)

At the moment, I have parts for 18 1056 boards (for the Atari 800) and 4 1056 boards (for the Atari 400) and put them up on the website.  Backorders are allowed but allow about 3 weeks to ship if they sell out as it takes up to two weeks to get the boards made and in stock.

Edit:  1056 Boards for the 400 are posted.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1

Just checked out the website - Nice! I really wish everyone would do something like that for the upgrades they sell. It seems like people love to do the pre-order threads instead here on AtariAge.

And it's pretty darn slick how you did the memory upgrade for the 800, with that extra plug-in jumper board.

Great job ?

Now if I only had a 400 or 800 - perhaps someday i will ;)

• Thanks 1

Nice. Something seem slightly wonky with your paypal code...it did not auto populate address from paypal's response, but otherwise as mentioned it's really cool that you did this. Y'know, maybe we should have a selling site set up for AtariAge members that we could use easily for thiings like this, both sellers and buyers. Someone would have to admin it, but that's wouldn't be too much of a burden nowadays if it were kept simple.

Anyway, great work.

1 hour ago, danwinslow said:

Nice. Something seem slightly wonky with your paypal code...it did not auto populate address from paypal's response, but otherwise as mentioned it's really cool that you did this. Y'know, maybe we should have a selling site set up for AtariAge members that we could use easily for thiings like this, both sellers and buyers. Someone would have to admin it, but that's wouldn't be too much of a burden nowadays if it were kept simple.

Anyway, great work.

I'll have to check and test paypal a little more as I am not sure why it didn't populate the address.  Having a selling site, like you mention, is an interesting idea.  I think there would be a lot to work out regarding payments and how to handle any inventory, for example.

I am going to start shipping on Monday.  Thank you!

Brian

After I put together the board I run different tests on it.  On each board I've been testing the memory banks, making sure the reported bank information is what is expected, and letting M.U.L.E. run for a little while to make sure the main 48k is working correctly.

966450791_banktesting.thumb.JPG.c23ee1998922c1656b7b7aa03acb6372.JPG

1 hour ago, reifsnyderb said:

After I put together the board I run different tests on it.  On each board I've been testing the memory banks, making sure the reported bank information is what is expected, and letting M.U.L.E. run for a little while to make sure the main 48k is working correctly.

It's always good to ensure they pass the M.U.L.E. Test!  ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

New to this.  What is the M.U.L.E. Test?   Program available online somewhere?

With the Side3 cartridge I can't test the 16k at $8000-$BFFF.  But since M.U.L.E. uses the 48k of base RAM I can run M.U.L.E. for a while to make sure it's working properly.  If M.U.L.E. doesn't load and run properly for a little while I need to check the solder connections.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess with this stupid chip shortage it was bound to happen.  The AS6C8008 1MB chips are out of stock and might be back in 3 months.  So, after a brief search I found a 512k chip (IS61C5128AS-25HLI)  that might work out and there are currently a lot in stock.  Unfortunately, to adapt the 1056 board to 2 of these chips I had to use up a couple spare OR gates and an inverter.  I think it will work and will order the boards and chips soon.  If this chip works with the 1056 board it will be a good alternate chip.  Other than the size, it appears that it has an access time of 25ns as opposed to 55ns for the AS6C8008.

1290633888_1056boardR3.thumb.JPG.ebf81604ba3af671a67e2c4e03adfdc4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

The AS6C8008 1MB chips are out of stock and might be back in 3 months.  So, after a brief search I found a 512k chip (IS61C5128AS-25HLI)  that might work out and there are currently a lot in stock.  Unfortunately, to adapt the 1056 board to 2 of these chips I had to use up a couple spare OR gates and an inverter.  I think it will work and will order the boards and chips soon.

Boy you sure don't like to sit still and smell the roses :)

I know I'm guilty of creating a lot of upgrades for the A8, but I do tend to only work on one at a time to completion, including testing and revisions before i move on to the next project. Seems like you've been juggling several at the same time. Not that this is a bad thing - just an observation.

3 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

I guess with this stupid chip shortage it was bound to happen.  The AS6C8008 1MB chips are out of stock and might be back in 3 months.  So, after a brief search I found a 512k chip (IS61C5128AS-25HLI)  that might work out and there are currently a lot in stock.  Unfortunately, to adapt the 1056 board to 2 of these chips I had to use up a couple spare OR gates and an inverter.  I think it will work and will order the boards and chips soon.  If this chip works with the 1056 board it will be a good alternate chip.  Other than the size, it appears that it has an access time of 25ns as opposed to 55ns for the AS6C8008.

1290633888_1056boardR3.thumb.JPG.ebf81604ba3af671a67e2c4e03adfdc4.JPG

This is exactly why Atari had variations in ....   well.... everything.

I love this shit, btw just order 1 of each, thanks 

6 minutes ago, mytek said:

Boy you sure don't like to sit still and smell the roses :)

I know I'm guilty of creating a lot of upgrades for the A8, but I do tend to only work on one at a time to completion, including testing and revisions before i move on to the next project. Seems like you've been juggling several at the same time. Not that this is a bad thing - just an observation.

?     Next up is to make a new cable up for final testing of that CPU/video board for the 400.  I think it's fine but the it appears the cable has a bad audio wire.    ?