IGNORED

*SOLD OUT* Atari VCS $99.99 all in bundle at Gamestop

jgkspsx

I know it's probably a fire-sale and all, but if Atari had gone in at $99.99 as the MSRP, they wouldn't be able to make the things fast enough.  My long-standing opinion is that $100-$150 is the sweet spot for these devices.

I don't feel like the casual person will care if it's a computer, a console, or whatever; the cost is going to drive most non-in-the-know folks away.

• Like 4

In addition to GameStop, Amazon and Best Buy have them. Now, I have no idea how many they have, but from what I've heard, I seriously doubt they're flying off the shelves. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else have a fire sale eventually. It just depends on the timing. I'm going to start checking every couple of days at other online realtors and watching for bargains.

• Like 2

Further proof that had Atari managed to get the MSRP to this sweet spot, they would have sold en masse. $400 was just madness - and while many say "the specs for the PC internals warrant that" - the idea should have been to forget specs when designing a system to play games from 1978 and build an affordable retro box from the get-go.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 2:24 AM, Myths said:

Further proof that had Atari managed to get the MSRP to this sweet spot, they would have sold en masse. $400 was just madness - and while many say "the specs for the PC internals warrant that" - the idea should have been to forget specs when designing a system to play games from 1978 and build an affordable retro box from the get-go.

I think this is pretty misguided, there was never a price point where this system would fly off the shelf, if they launched it at 100 bucks it still wouldn't have sold even a million units, the entire project was a misfire because they had no idea what they actually wanted to do with it. It's essentially a pc in a box that has a few modern games and a bunch of old games, while not really being great at either.

Atari isn't really a desired household name at this point just like Sega isn't really, and I love both so that's hard to say, the only way this device could have had a future is if it did something truly special, but at least it released, I got one during the 99 dollar sale just because I collect Atari but have no intention of even turning it on, just figured if I collect all Atari platforms it would make sense to have one.

Edited by goldenpp72

On 4/21/2022 at 4:01 AM, digdugnate said:

I know it's probably a fire-sale and all, but if Atari had gone in at $99.99 as the MSRP, they wouldn't be able to make the things fast enough.  My long-standing opinion is that $100-$150 is the sweet spot for these devices.

I don't feel like the casual person will care if it's a computer, a console, or whatever; the cost is going to drive most non-in-the-know folks away.

Yeah I would’ve grabbed one for $99.