IGNORED

Re: TI-99/4A stock controllers

GameGirl420

Lately finally trying out TI-99/4A games using the stock joysticks,and noticed it doesn't work on all games.

Doesn't work with Moon Patrol,but other games like Burgertime the controller does work. Frustrating cos I hate using the keyboard on a game like Moon Patrol.

Why is that!? Anyone else notice?

Edited by lushgirl_80

35 minutes ago, lushgirl_80 said:

Lately finally trying out TI-99/4A games using the stock joysticks,and noticed it doesn't work on all games.

Doesn't work with Moon Patrol,but other games like Burgertime the controller does work. Frustrating cos I hate using the keyboard on a game like Moon Patrol.

Why is that!? Anyone else notice?

try the other controller, some games use 2 instead of 1

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Moon Patrol (and IIRC, the Parker Brothers games) reverses the designation of the two joysticks--2 is 1 and 1 is 2. A very small number of other games also did this.

It'd probably have helped if there was any way at all to identify the joysticks externally. A 1 and 2 molded onto the controllers would've done wonders for this problem.

• Like 4

I did understate it, lol. To elaborate then, caps lock engaged (down) prevents the joystick from responding to the Up movement. Another of the TI's little quirks. Since programs are entered in CAPS, it would make more sense to have the joysticks response match that. But nooo, they gotta be backwards about it. It does catch some newbies and even us old-timers will forget to check for that.

At least it can be circumvented with a diode or two added to the keyboard if one wants to open up the console and modify it.

Hope I didn't overstate that!

whistling.gif

• Like 3

Tried it again tonight with Moon Patrol, and still doesn't work :(.  I made sure to use both controllers,that game still doesn't work with the controllers,but weird the same controllers can play other games like TI Invaders and Burgertime.   

1 hour ago, lushgirl_80 said:

Tried it again tonight with Moon Patrol, and still doesn't work :(.  I made sure to use both controllers,that game still doesn't work with the controllers,but weird the same controllers can play other games like TI Invaders and Burgertime.   

Is it an original cartridge copy or might you have a defective .BIN image?

On 4/25/2022 at 6:24 AM, SkyPilot said:

"Don't forget, caps lock up.", anyone understating the meaning was probably a TI'er.

...or as Freddy says, "Alpha Lock Ausrasten!" Which I think was originally meant as "release" but now apparently translates as "freak out." Freak out your Alpha lock!

(I will confess that I returned not one, but two pairs of TI joysticks to Toys "R" Us in 1983 because I didn't realize that the alpha lock needed to be up).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

My solution is to not use the TI keyboard!  I have a Logitech keyboard that works great with two of my TI-99/4A consoles.

RetroBill/fdos

Bill, do you have the schematic for that adaptive? I wouldn't mind trying to add a 101 to my TI. I've got lots of parts to maybe make something.. I guess I'd leave my TI kybrd intact but disconnected and run a cable out. If you have something we could throw the topic into SNP or start a thread for it. Ty

Edited by GDMike

17 hours ago, GDMike said:

Bill, do you have the schematic for that adaptive? I wouldn't mind trying to add a 101 to my TI. I've got lots of parts to maybe make something.. I guess I'd leave my TI kybrd intact but disconnected and run a cable out. If you have something we could throw the topic into SNP or start a thread for it. Ty

I have these both as blank pcb's and assembled units..and a special ribbon cable to make install easy 

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have these both as blank pcb's and assembled units..and a special ribbon cable to make install easy 

Oh .?? Ok. I was watching some videos about the teensy and it's ability and see it was interesting but I know it was still missing something between the TI and teensy. I assume that's what you have pretty much.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:24 PM, XLERB said:

(I will confess that I returned not one, but two pairs of TI joysticks to Toys "R" Us in 1983 because I didn't realize that the alpha lock needed to be up).

I've installed the diode fix in my console. Then it doesn't matter which way you have alpha lock. The joysticks work anyway.

• Like 5

On 5/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, GDMike said:

The VA has been driving me crazy this month, so I'm glad others responded to your request.  Although my method uses a USB to a 4 port KVM solution; only 3 ports in use right now.  Hopefully once I have my SNUG TI-99/4P operational?  However I have a request for you, if you can spare the time I could use one or two of your...  Oops, when I have the time I will PM you this request, as I have 3 more VA appointments this month, and one with my bank, so probably not until June.

• Sad 1