IGNORED

Age of jag users on this forum?

sirlynxalot

Age of Jaguar users on this forum?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Age of Jaguar users on this forum? (In years old)

• 10 to 19
    • 20 to 29
    • 30 to 39
    • 40 to 49
    • 50 to 59
    • 60 to 69
    • Older than 69

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I have two distinct experiences with the Jaguar, but the first one was a letdown.

It was during the height of the system, when finding a console was nearly impossible. A friend I knew who worked for EB Games called me, and said that 1 Jaguar console had come in.

I raced down to the Mall and bought the console with a copy of Alien vs Predator.

When I got home and hooked up the console, it wouldn’t produce a picture or any sound. I was livid. Unfortunately, I couldn’t replace it with another unit because EB only had that one console I bought, and Kaybee was sold out. I didn’t get my hands on another console until I found AtariAge in 2016, where a member here sold me his system for a very good price.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

When I got home and hooked up the console, it wouldn’t produce a picture or any sound.

I think I would have cried.

We built my brother a gaming PC from parts we got at one of those "Computer Shows" at the fairgrounds back then. Wouldn't boot after ~2hrs of build time. We raced back down to the show with the assembled PC, went to the vendor all indignant, and he looked at it, pressed down on the PCI cards, turned it on, and it booted. We were both very embarrassed and thankful. The cards just hadn't been seated well enough, and the system worked great for years after that. I can't imagine the anguish if that system had never worked though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I saved for months and bought 2600 and Pac-Man (which I enjoyed despite initially being aghast when I played at friend's house prior to purchase) in 1982 in city 45 minutes away. It didn't work, and we couldn't return to store until following weekend. Turned out to be power supply.

My initial 5200 ($89 at Wal-Mart in fall 1984) also didn't work, but that store was in hometown at least so I could get immediate replacement.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I think I would have cried.

We built my brother a gaming PC from parts we got at one of those "Computer Shows" at the fairgrounds back then. Wouldn't boot after ~2hrs of build time. We raced back down to the show with the assembled PC, went to the vendor all indignant, and he looked at it, pressed down on the PCI cards, turned it on, and it booted. We were both very embarrassed and thankful. The cards just hadn't been seated well enough, and the system worked great for years after that. I can't imagine the anguish if that system had never worked though.

I ended up buying a Neo-Geo Aes w/ Nam 75, Magician Lord, and a few weeks later, Samurai Shodown. I managed. Lol

Thank you for sharing that story. My father would build PCs for my brother and I as well. We were all tech heads. I miss those days and my baby brother so much.

• Like 5

On 5/12/2022 at 4:25 PM, Editorb said:

I saved for months and bought 2600 and Pac-Man (which I enjoyed despite initially being aghast when I played at friend's house prior to purchase) in 1982 in city 45 minutes away. It didn't work, and we couldn't return to store until following weekend. Turned out to be power supply.

My initial 5200 ($89 at Wal-Mart in fall 1984) also didn't work, but that store was in hometown at least so I could get immediate replacement.

It is interesting the re-history lessons we get on the game, yeah it didn't look exact to Arcade, but nothing on Atari 2600 was expected ro look exact to arcade, it wasn't even considered a disappointment it was cool it was being thrown in with the 2600.

Ms pacman, a few years later showed yeah 2600 could do better, but it's like comparing super Mario bros 1 to Super Mario bros 2 and 3, you expect better looking games as they progress.

I always thought pacman was superior to Ms pacman, because speed of game, pacman was fast Ms pacman looked good but was a slower gsme-- that was my 5 yr old review, happy my dad talked my baby sitter into letting us have the Atari and 30 or so games in 84/85, and loving going to flea mkts and buying games for a buck a piece as everyone had old games, relatives would hand you a bin laying around in the basement for free, it was a great time to ? 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 9:27 AM, Jag64 said:

The Dreamcast still hurts. Unlike the Jag, where I bought it crazy discounted after it was discontinued, I got the Dreamcast in the summer of '00. Can't say I was burned though. Sega's infighting (SOJ vs SOA, etc. etc.) doomed the Dreamcast, but what a run it had. I still play games on my DC pretty frequently. Headhunter, even some 2K sports games for nostalgia. Lifespan was WAY too short, but Seaman, Space Channel 5 .. still love those unique gems. (Rhythm not being so "unique" now in NA).

I've got three Jaguars and three Dreamcasts (original I play, the black sports in the box, and a NIB one from the late run with Sega Classics packed in). I did turn the Jaguars on last summer when I found them in my barn. Even played some Tempest 2K (which I am TERRIBLE at). I might not enjoy Jaguar games, but  sure as heck went through a phase of buying the stuff. Because I find Jag stuff in every box I open. Usually with junk and misc stuff, but after seeing the prices lately, holy crap. I need to care for the Jags better, lol.

1226088291_Screenshot2022-05-08at09-23-292021-08-08jpg(JPEGImage30244032pixels)Scaled(23).thumb.png.5bb1c28ab8b082067170b52ef0c7d787.png1529222781_Screenshot2022-05-08at09-25-082021-07-12jpg(JPEGImage30244032pixels)Scaled(23).thumb.png.b3ebc95feda990ba66ade2270a4475de.png

Honestly, if the Jag brings no joy, and your coll ebaying, their is some definite money on the table...probably one of best times to get out of jag, buyers have never paid more for systems and games

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pete5125 said:

Honestly, if the Jag brings no joy, and your coll ebaying, their is some definite money on the table...probably one of best times to get out of jag, buyers have never paid more for systems and games

Absolutely selling them. Planned on it last summer, but then never got around to it. Then the prices went up more. Now it's like a stock situation. While people are buying NFTs or digital tokens as investments, the Atari Jaguar is a tangible, rare item. I thought finding three in my barn was cool. Then I found out how few actually exist. THEN I see all these broken ones, and the "uniqueness" of the Jaguar just keeps going up. I'm definitely selling all the Jaguar stuff (and other Atari stuff, AlucardX). When? The combination of seeing the Jaguar's value continuously rise combined with no rush/incentive/need to hurry makes me slow af when it comes to selling stuff. Probably how I ended up with a barn of this garbage in the first place, lol. Maybe someone will shoot a "wow offer" to me one day that warrants me driving to the post office. (Or stopping at it. I drive past it a lot.) Either way, it's almost a sin for me to have all these Jaguars, controllers and games when I don't use/want/need 'em.

*Some cats might just offer to buy them for a crazy amount in the hopes it'll shut my stupid *ss up and give me less reason to pop on with all my sweetness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've told this before on another site, But i was introduced to the Jaguar during my junior school days between 5th and 6th grade via YouTube, and my dad bought my first Jaguar console bundled with Cybermorph + Doom. It was in my 10-19 years. I'm currently 25 and i plan to save up money to buy a Jaguar once again in the future...

Edited by KidGameR186496
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Also I think there was an interesting point raised earlier in the thread about the cost. I paid £60 for mine back then with a copy of Chequered Flag, and my dad said I'd overpaid for it. I then got T2K and AvP boxed for about £25 each (boxes were a bit natty but still not bad) and went through quite a few other Jaguar games spending about £10-£20 on either loose carts or certain boxed specimens when they cropped up, and with a bit of patience after three years I'd gotten a decent spread. But nowadays I can't imagine anyone being able to do that, and in part I think the goalposts have changed. The costs of everything has gone up exponentially in the last few years, especially with *the event*, which would absolutely deter a lot of people, but I think the sheer number of mini consoles with accessibility and cost effectiveness probably makes a difference as well. My PS Classic has a permanent place in my front room, whereas the actual PSX I own with around 100 games on it stays upstairs, because it's just easier. Compared to a few years ago, when if you wanted to get into a console and wanted that Authentic Experience (tm), you'd have to get the machine and a load of games. Now I don't know if that makes the physical product more of a premium, akin to a vinyl record vs a CD or whatever, but it's definitely an observation. Plus emulation on the whole had improved in a recent years.

I also think the exposure has changed, youtube content has somewhat moved away from straight reviewing consoles and games into more video essay stuff, though that might just be my algorithm as opposed to everyone else's. I guess there's a lot of information out there about these consoles and computers now, it's not new content. 

Edited by LianneJaguar64
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LianneJaguar64 said:

I also think the exposure has changed, youtube content has somewhat moved away from straight reviewing consoles and games into more video essay stuff, though that might just be my algorithm as opposed to everyone else's. I guess there's a lot of information out there about these consoles and computers now, it's not new content. 

I think the homebrew scene has caused a shift from "OMG!!! AVGN!!!! THIS IS ARSE!!!!!" to "where can I buy a Jaguar for under 11tybillion $$$$?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 1:08 AM, CyranoJ said:

I think the homebrew scene has caused a shift from "OMG!!! AVGN!!!! THIS IS ARSE!!!!!" to "where can I buy a Jaguar for under 11tybillion $$$$?"

That doesn't really explain the price of CD units. When was the last time a CD homebrew came out?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes when the poll is three+ years old it'll make sense to take it with a grain of salt.  I just figured this would be one of those topics that's interesting for a few weeks and would then sink into obscurity rather than become the official forum census ?.  I've already gotten what I wanted out of this, proof of my hypothesis that the forum skews towards middle age rather than a 20s/30s crowd 

I had been a member on Compuserves "Go Atari" forum from around '89 on, and was very excited to get my hands on the new Atari Jaguar from the time I heard rumors of its existence.  Does anyone else remember the early gossip that it might involve video overlay over VHS? I remember a guy named Dimitri on the forum, I think that was it, who seemed to have a lot of inside information.  It was very exciting to get the Jaguar and I thoroughly enjoyed Cybermorph and T2k as my first games.  Then Raiden which was also excellent.  I don't remember any attitude of Atarian's thinking that Atari was gonna take over the world or anything, but friends in college loved to play it and check out the games. It was a surprise to most people that it even existed, so it had a certain "What the hell is this" and "I had no idea they were still in business" quality from people who visited my apartment. The Brutal Sports football was a very popular game as was Val D'Isserre snowboarding, which was such a pleasant surprise release at the time.  Being an Atari fan from the mid 70's beginnings, I just loved it regardless of it's level of success.  

By '95 when the CD add on came out, playing with the custom programming on the VLM became my favorite aspect of the system.  It was excellent for adding unique visual flare to music and amazed most people who checked it out. In fact, at Auburn I sold VHS tapes with two hours of VLM performance along to local music at Wildman Steve's record shop, perhaps as many as 3 copies were sold. :) I worked at the college radio station and used the VLM at many internal events, one memorable one was a listening party for SP's, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Rayman, AVP, Doom.  I will always consider the Jag fondly. 

• Like 5

Back in the day I put in a massive order with VGLQ before their shipping prices skyrocketed.  Anyone else order from them?  I bought the Jag for the game AVP and I was not disappointed.  Still one of the most atmospheric and immersive game experiences of my life.  I always liked it that there was no in-game music as it helped in my opinion with adding tension.  Still hoping that Rebellion will put out one more Aliens related game.  Would like to see what they could do as it has been 12 years since their last AVP game released.   

• Like 1

I've never ordered from them, as I recall, but I totally agree about AvP.

The first time that facehugger jumped on me and I didn't know to shake

it off! Ugh!  :)

The tracker. Who would have thought that a "ping" sound could be so

menacing and tension inducing?

I'd also love to see a good, solid, well-thought out followup to the original.

That my friends, would be awesome...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

I've never ordered from them, as I recall, but I totally agree about AvP.

The first time that facehugger jumped on me and I didn't know to shake

it off! Ugh!  :)

The tracker. Who would have thought that a "ping" sound could be so

menacing and tension inducing?

I'd also love to see a good, solid, well-thought out followup to the original.

That my friends, would be awesome...

It'd need to retain the Xenomorph A I from Rebellion's original PC AVP title, not the game from 12 years ago, aimed at the casual Gamer. 

The Xenomorph should never be your standard FPS fodder, it's an absolute breed apart.