IGNORED

Season 12 ~ MAJOR LEAGUE ~ 3 Strikes Knockout Tourny

Vocelli

On 5/1/2022 at 6:27 PM, Vocelli said:

~ New lists will be submitted.

~ The TOP 4 Ranked players who have not been eliminated will submit lists. Both Gravitar and Super Breakout cannot be submitted again.

My only decision now is whether the next round will be:

1 Game 2 Strikes

2 Games 2 Strikes

1 Game 1 Strike.

So people won't lose interest.... I don't want this Tourny to last too long 

At the risk of making things more complicated, would you consider 3 Games with 1 Strike, but give us two weeks to play? 

The second week for this first batch of games really increased the competition and gave everyone more time to improve their scores.  At the end of last week, I think my Gravitar score was 3rd place and now I'm wondering if I'll stay above the strike line given the level of play we've seen this week.  During the season, we typically have 10+ days to play since games are announced Thursday and scores aren't due until Sunday a week and a half later.  One week with this tournament format gives us at most 6.5 days to play considering you'll need part of Monday for the game selection process.

In terms of tournament length, my proposal is clearly more aggressive than the 1 Game/1 Strike/1 Week option.  It may even be more aggressive than (or at least comparable to) the other single week options considering that any player going into next week with two strikes is at risk.  Surviving the next round would require a solid performance on three different games.

As the tournament winds down and there are only a few players left, you'll probably want to switch to 1 Game/1 Strike/1 Week to eliminate the possibility of a tie among the top 3.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kermit73 said:

At the risk of making things more complicated, would you consider 3 Games with 1 Strike, but give us two weeks to play? 

The second week for this first batch of games really increased the competition and gave everyone more time to improve their scores.  At the end of last week, I think my Gravitar score was 3rd place and now I'm wondering if I'll stay above the strike line given the level of play we've seen this week.  During the season, we typically have 10+ days to play since games are announced Thursday and scores aren't due until Sunday a week and a half later.  One week with this tournament format gives us at most 6.5 days to play considering you'll need part of Monday for the game selection process.

In terms of tournament length, my proposal is clearly more aggressive than the 1 Game/1 Strike/1 Week option.  It may even be more aggressive than (or at least comparable to) the other single week options considering that any player going into next week with two strikes is at risk.  Surviving the next round would require a solid performance on three different games.

As the tournament winds down and there are only a few players left, you'll probably want to switch to 1 Game/1 Strike/1 Week to eliminate the possibility of a tie among the top 3.

I like that proposal.

We can give it a try and see how it works.

We can change next season if this doesn't work out well.

But... I do like this style of tournament much better!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vocelli said:

I like that proposal.

Sounds like the next two weeks will be some pretty fierce competition! So the top players from this first three strikes tournament round will be the ones picking the three games for the next round? Just trying to wrap my head around how the top players will be determined since there's more than one game being played this round and some players might finish high in the rankings in one game but not the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Sounds like the next two weeks will be some pretty fierce competition! So the top players from this first three strikes tournament round will be the ones picking the three games for the next round? Just trying to wrap my head around how the top players will be determined since there's more than one game being played this round and some players might finish high in the rankings in one game but not the other.

The Highest Four Ranking Players (By Regular Season Rank) not eliminated... will be submitting lists to choose the next games.

That is why Regular season matters.

• Like 2

I know this isn't like the usual showdowns, but I haven't had a lot of time to play, and even then I'm nowhere near achieving my previous scores.

So I'm choosing to concede now.

Best of luck to all of you in the next round.

@Vocelli

Thank you again for doing not one, but TWO tributes to my mother.  It means a lot to me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/7/2022 at 10:58 PM, kermit73 said:

On 5/8/2022 at 1:09 AM, Vocelli said:

I like that proposal.

@Vocelli, I like this idea, but with one caveat. If we're going to go with this approach, I think it needs to be done from the first week for future seasons. As it stands, we have a situation where people who get strikes this week will be eliminated after being in the bottom half twice, while anyone who didn't get a strike this week would only be eliminated after being in the bottom half three times. That doesn't really seem fair (I admit this only dawned on me when  I woke up to find myself having  "missed the cut" for super breakout, but I think it's still true on a general level).

Going "three games, one strike per game" from the start in future seasons would address this situation. I'd actually suggest that the structure should be retrospectively changed for this season too, so only one strike per game is issued for this weeks games. That way, all strikes are of equal "value", and so the competition is fairer as a result. This would of course mean nobody was eliminated this week, but that would probably even itself out pretty quickly if people are at risk of three strikes every week (with faster eliminations as a result). 

I appreciate though that you do a heck of a lot to keep this competition running, and I think we all understand that this tourney format is a work in progress (with some inevitable quirks that will need ironing out). The format is definitely an improvement imho , and If the change I suggest is too much aggravation from your perspective (or you just don't agree with me on the fairness issue, that's fair enough. Like (I'd hope) everyone who plays, I'm really grateful for the work you do keeping HSC running, and I don't want to appear critical or make your life more difficult 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jasonhrb said:

@Vocelli, I like this idea, but with one caveat. If we're going to go with this approach, I think it needs to be done from the first week for future seasons. As it stands, we have a situation where people who get strikes this week will be eliminated after being in the bottom half twice, while anyone who didn't get a strike this week would only be eliminated after being in the bottom half three times. That doesn't really seem fair (I admit this only dawned on me when  I woke up to find myself having  "missed the cut" for super breakout, but I think it's still true on a general level).

Going "three games, one strike per game" from the start in future seasons would address this situation. I'd actually suggest that the structure should be retrospectively changed for this season too, so only one strike per game is issued for this weeks games. That way, all strikes are of equal "value", and so the competition is fairer as a result. This would of course mean nobody was eliminated this week, but that would probably even itself out pretty quickly if people are at risk of three strikes every week (with faster eliminations as a result). 

I appreciate though that you do a heck of a lot to keep this competition running, and I think we all understand that this tourney format is a work in progress (with some inevitable quirks that will need ironing out). The format is definitely an improvement imho , and If the change I suggest is too much aggravation from your perspective (or you just don't agree with me on the fairness issue, that's fair enough. Like (I'd hope) everyone who plays, I'm really grateful for the work you do keeping HSC running, and I don't want to appear critical or make your life more difficult 

We will keep our current format this season.

Next season I will examine everything fro this season and make changes for next years 3 strike tourney.

Thanks for all the ideas!

• Like 1