IGNORED

Season 12 ~ MAJOR LEAGUE ~ 3 Strikes Knockout Tourny

Vocelli

19 minutes ago, Jason_Atari said:

Vocelli you didn’t update my super breakout scores.

Corrected.

Thanks for keeping me straight... let me know if anything else is wrong.

I will be doing an update after I get off of work at 2pm.

THANKS!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Good game all. Even tho it’s curtains for me, I’m pretty pleased that I made it to the major league. Good luck to those remaining! 

Ya done good making it this far fakecortex! You were definitely one of my favorite folks to chat about the games with this season and I'll be looking forward to gaming with you again when the next season of the HSC starts up! :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

UPDATE Completed... Hope all is correct. Let me know otherwise.

PM's sent to those who are picking the games.... already heard back from 3 Players.

I will keep everyone informed as soon as we have a match.

Thanks!

Vocelli

• Thanks 2

Looking at the first picks... NO Matches

Looking at the 2nd picks and the first picks... we have a Match! Xenophobe!

Kermit picked Xenophobe 1st and AtariSphinx picked it 2nd.

Looking at the 3rd picks and comparing to the first 2 picks.... no matches.

Looking at the 4th picks and comparing them to the first 3 picks... no matches

Looking at the 5th picks and comparing them to the first 4 picks... we have a match! Klax!

JasonHRB picked Klax 1st and SkippyBCoyote pick it 5th.

Now on the the 6th pick... We have the last match!  Roadrunner!

Kermit picked Roadrunner 6th and SkippyBCoyote picked it 5th.

Thanks Guys!

Xenophobe

Klax

Roadrunner

ALL RED CARTS!

• Like 2

It's going to be a competitive couple weeks. 

If my count is right looking at the overall standings, we have:

8 players with no strikes

2 players with two strikes

7 players eliminated (4 strikes from the first round)

Good luck everyone.  Now let's run up those scores :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Vocelli said:

And on that note.... You may start Round 2.

(It is going to be tough for me... not too good at any of these games)

I think I might be joining you through the exit door this week. I need to be in the top half for all three games to survive to the next round. I think I'm pretty good at one of these games, but at best middling at the other two. .......and I don't think middling will get me in the top half of this field ???

• Like 3

Best of luck to everyone!  Looks like each game chooser at least got 1 choice.

Looking forward to playing Xenophobe and looking to improve on Road Runner.

KLAX will definitely be a challenge for me as never good at timed puzzle games. Will see how it goes!

Regardless I am very impressed at the execution of these red label games.  Surprisingly well done.  I would have thought Atari at that point would be pushing out inferior games given their state.

• Like 1

Xenophobe: 401600

I'll get the ball rolling for this next round.  It would not surprise me if at least one of us hits rollage on this game this week.  @oyamafamily was the only one to roll the score during the season, but there were several mid-six figure scores.  It's just a matter of not having a game end prematurely by getting hammered by a couple snotterpillars and/or having your weapon disintegrate at the worst possible time.

image.thumb.png.a4b5722184a1312fb59f5ea4c006894a.png

• Like 6

Xenophobe: Rollage (1M)

My strategy is to clear each space station as quickly as possible, preferably before too many game-ending snotterpillars start showing up.  With the possible exception of the first board or two, I don't purposely avoid shooting aliens in an effort to pick up more hardware.  There will always be more hardware on the next board and you get some of your health replenished at the end of each board.

Some tips to clear boards more quickly:

• Jumping is faster than running.  It can also help you avoid getting hit by an alien that spawns at the edge of the screen.
  • If you notice any easy-to-kill aliens spawn as you leave a screen, backtrack to kill them.  Each board ends after you've killed a specific number of aliens regardless of their strength or difficulty to kill.
  • Don't waste time waiting for or bombing the aliens that roll up in a ball.  Just move to the next screen and look for an easier target.  Shooting the aliens head on rather than from behind prevents them from rolling up in a ball in the first place.
  • My weapon of choice is the Poofer Gun.  It has short range, but is the most powerful.  Snotterpillars only require two hits.  All other aliens are killed in just one hit.
  • Avoid hitting the bug which disables your fire button until you enter an elevator.  This happens if you fire a shot, but leave the screen as the alien is getting killed.  Having to run to the elevator to restore your weapon is a real time-waster.

In addition, I also keep track of where the better weapons are located to quickly re-arm if my weapon explodes.  I usually mentally note something like "3R2" meaning floor 3, right two screens from the elevator.  I think the placement of weapons is the same (i.e. not random) for each of the eight different stations if you want to memorize locations. 

image.thumb.png.db35a2d8c25fe4317d96d2a2ffd7d254.png

image.thumb.png.b4f49c43c95136b6fcfc58acafb94f1a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

A score on Klax. This is probably my favourite late 2600 game, and the one of the three in this round I think I'm strongest at. I hope that this is enough to get me in the top half, as I really need to be concentrating on the other two if I'm going to make the next round 

Klax (08-18-1990) (Atari) (Prototype)_1.png

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Jasonhrb said:

A score on Klax. This is probably my favourite late 2600 game, and the one of the three in this round I think I'm strongest at. I hope that this is enough to get me in the top half, as I really need to be concentrating on the other two if I'm going to make the next round 

Klax (08-18-1990) (Atari) (Prototype)_1.png

This is a very impressive score - more than 40k higher than any other score I've seen so far anywhere for this game, whether it be from the season or on Twin Galaxies.  It looks like part of the difference in score is from bonuses associated with warping, so you may have uncovered a better strategy and path through this game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1