IGNORED

Drop in your Atari mojo?

Mclaneinc

6 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Mclaneinc  :grin:

5x15 episode 15 homer simpson GIF - Find on GIFER

Hah! That's exactly how my Vizio remote is like...the battery door keeps popping off.

Anyway we all go through periods of just not wanting to play any game at all, especially myself.  I've just been too busy lately between taking online cert classes and working an overnight job where I hardly have time to even watch online videos.  Plus I let my Game Pass subscription laspe till I feel like playing console games again, whenever that is.

The worse thing you can do is force yourself to play games if you don't feel like it, then it stops being a fun hobby and becomes a miserible chore.  Even game streamers hate their jobs from time to time...

41 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

Now if I could just afford some of @mytek 's stuff! That 576nuc looks freaking amazing!

Thank you :)

You could dramatically lower the bar, by learning how to solder electronic components to a PCB and build your own. But I do understand that this would require quite a leap for someone that has never picked up a soldering iron before. My plan as I previously mentioned is to set my grandsons up with their own 576NUC+ systems, but I also intend to teach them how to solder, just like I did for my son. Eventually if they show enough interest I'll pull out some bare boards and let them have a go at it themselves. My son who's now a diesel engine mechanic and works on construction equipment, found the ability to solder to be a very positive asset in what he does for a living, so it goes much beyond what just started out as a hobby.

6 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Love how the thread has turned from me being bored with gaming (at the moment) to people showing the love for their machines, I really, really like that, if my boredom can make others enjoy more then I'm super happy with that.

Thanks for starting this topic. I think you weren't the only one getting a bit bored, and this gave us something to pull us out of it, and getting us talking and sharing :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mytek said:

Thanks for starting this topic. I think you weren't the only one getting a bit bored, and this gave us something to pull us out of it, and getting us talking and sharing :)

The initial intention was to see if it was me being an idiot (normally the case) but anything that promotes group sharing is a great 2nd prize..

20 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

The worse thing you can do is force yourself to play games if you don't feel like it, then it stops being a fun hobby and becomes a miserible chore.  Even game streamers hate their jobs from time to time...

I did force myself a bit, but only to see if it was a game type I was bored with, turns out it was just having a play in general that stopped appealing to me. Really odd for me as I always have liked playing a game, I don't have every game going but a nice selection across consoles as well as lots of emulation stuff and computer hardware.

As said a few times, I'm sort of glad it's not just me, hopefully my head with switch back over but if it does not, I certainly won't force myself to play, that would drive me around the bend. What is weird is that I watched a couple of longplay video's of games I have been circling around deciding to buy or not and I really enjoy watching them being played, but it didn't spark me in to wanting to pick up a pad.... Oh hell, a gaming voyeur, sounds sleazy :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

But I do understand that this would require quite a leap for someone that has never picked up a soldering iron before. My plan as I previously mentioned is to set my grandsons up with their own 576NUC+ systems, but I also intend to teach them how to solder, just like I did for my son.

When the kids are old enough... put on a cup of coffee and I will stop by for lessons too!! Lol!

Old dog... new tricks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If anything, my obsession with Atari / Commodore / Intellivision / Coleco / Odyssey / coin-ops / etc. etc. has only grown, which is really saying something, as I've always been an old-game fanatic. Well, they weren't old when I started playing them, of course. There was just never a long period when I stopped being into them.

Maybe it's because it's not all I do (music, writing, etc.), but I'm sure such variety is generally true for everyone here.

Learning more and more about how to program well over the years has also probably kept my enthusiasm from waning.

It's just such a part of who I am. I love this stuff madly. It's difficult to articulate, but then, here, I probably don't have to. :)

I want an A8 mini console.

I've been playing my Neo Geo ASP, PC Engine mini, Evercade VS (tons of Atari Intv games), & Retron 77.  An A8 mini console is over due.  A mini XEGS would be perfect (says me only, no doubt), but if one's ever made it'd likely be modeled after the 800XL, which I could live with. 

Firing up a prepackage emulation box with the look and feelz is a decent experience with minimal tinkering and cost.

8 hours ago, suspicious_milk said:

I've been playing my Neo Geo ASP, PC Engine mini, Evercade VS (tons of Atari Intv games), & Retron 77.  An A8 mini console is over due.  A mini XEGS would be perfect (says me only, no doubt), but if one's ever made it'd likely be modeled after the 800XL, which I could live with. 

Firing up a prepackage emulation box with the look and feelz is a decent experience with minimal tinkering and cost.

I'd love an AtariXL maxi or mini (as long as it supports a USB keyboard) for when parts for these machines are either gone or too expensive. At the moment I'm not playing with the machines but my love for them is just the same as it always was, Atari is a big part of me, I sold them for a living, made a load of friend both in the scene and the industry and so on and so forth, the Atari and later other machines are ingrained in me.

14 hours ago, Chris+++ said:

If anything, my obsession with Atari / Commodore / Intellivision / Coleco / Odyssey / coin-ops / etc. etc. has only grown, which is really saying something, as I've always been an old-game fanatic. Well, they weren't old when I started playing them, of course. There was just never a long period when I stopped being into them.

Maybe it's because it's not all I do (music, writing, etc.), but I'm sure such variety is generally true for everyone here.

Learning more and more about how to program well over the years has also probably kept my enthusiasm from waning.

It's just such a part of who I am. I love this stuff madly. It's difficult to articulate, but then, here, I probably don't have to. :)

Chris, you are totally right, you don't need to articulate it, 99% of us are just as smitten with the gear. It's also nice to see someone who has love for a wide range of gear and makers, as I have said for ages, go where the good games are, never deprive yourself of quality gaming just to keep and affinity to a brand (it's not like the Tramiels did :) ) 

May your love of these old games and machines never wane, despite my loss of mojo I still love the gear and the games, I'm just not into playing at the moment (although I played a game on the Switch last night for a little while, so maybe there are signs of life :) )

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 6:59 AM, Mclaneinc said:

Has anyone in here had a time when you just are not touching your machines, there's no drive to play them, does it go?

I have no wish to get rid of my gear and not fed up with stuff, just not interested in doing...Feels very weird..

My kids' first video game consoles were Atari computers.  My wife and I were enthusiasts and, as a family, we loved a lot of games.  While I own a lot of carts and disks, my 'breakthrough moment' came when I put all our favorites on an Atarimax cart.  All of a sudden, I had an instant on console with a vast library of games.  I keep that system in a duffle bag and bring it to work from time to share with young people who have never had the pleasure.

But, like you, I have not had my hardware out in some time.  I plan to sell most/all of it once I retire.  I now have all of my favorite games on a Legends Ultimate Arcade.  It's also instant on, has great controllers, and plays better versions of some of my favorite games.  I can also emulate other machines on the LUA.  Of course, the games we love on the Atari were attempts to capture the magic of the games we played in an arcade and the LUA has those as well.

9 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Chris, you are totally right, you don't need to articulate it, 99% of us are just as smitten with the gear. It's also nice to see someone who has love for a wide range of gear and makers, as I have said for ages, go where the good games are, never deprive yourself of quality gaming just to keep and affinity to a brand (it's not like the Tramiels did :) ) 

May your love of these old games and machines never wane, despite my loss of mojo I still love the gear and the games, I'm just not into playing at the moment (although I played a game on the Switch last night for a little while, so maybe there are signs of life :) )

Thank you, sir, and yes, one certainly goes through phases. The brain's a funny one -- your interests will swing toward one thing and naturally away from something else, but then swing back a couple of months or years later, when the ol' synapses align that way. I think that's just life. What's important is to do what you please, to use the rhetorical "you," live in the moment and not let anyone persuade you that there's anything wrong with whatever you feel like doing (unless it hurts someone else, of course, which our pursuits certainly don't).

Macca has a great saying that I like to cop: "The heart always goes to the warmest place." I tend to add, "If you let it." :)

• Like 1

On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 5:59 AM, Mclaneinc said:

Has anyone in here had a time when you just are not touching your machines, there's no drive to play them, does it go?

As said, I just am not feeling it at the moment,

I think some new user creations every now and then can help keep the ole Mojo going. Maybe something like:

mcl1.gif.2022808ce31fea654b9a303bd1da8d09.gif

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 9:26 PM, suspicious_milk said:

I think an Atari XEGS HDMI dongle with wireless peripherals and an SD card for games would be very nice.  Like this...

Amazon.com: Bandai Namco Flashback Blast Console - Electronic Games : Toys & Games

With old gear - I'd say keep it.  I wish I kept my old Atari 800 - but had to sell it to afford moving onto the next best thing.  Now I want an Atari 800 - and a 400 because I think these old machines were just great for their time, and beyond.

While I don't play games anymore, more due to lack of time - I still like to work to some Atari graphics, but lack of available time is the killer at the moment.

Something I like to do, is to collect all of the BASIC programs that draws pictures - all together, and create some new ones.  It was hit and miss, when I did do them and need to start trying again at some future time.

You need to fire up the old hardware a few times over the year, so as to keep it running alright.  I can't fix the Atari 800XL I'm using and know it's lonely for company.  I'll have to satisfy my longing for a 400/800 one day - when I can find a suitable one I can afford.

Harvey

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just broke my gaming duck, saw Miner 2019'er on the C64, purchased it (5 dollars) and been playing that. As you might guess, it's a Miner 2049'er game but actually sanctioned by Bill Hogue himself. Really nice level, but rather hard I'm still stuck on level 2 (seriously). Don't see any reason an Atari version could not be done, except for the use of multiple sprites on some screens (from gameplay footage on the site).

Is my mojo back, I'd class it as my health bar building up but not near full strength as yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Just broke my gaming duck, saw Miner 2019'er on the C64, purchased it (5 dollars) and been playing that. As you might guess, it's a Miner 2049'er game but actually sanctioned by Bill Hogue himself. Really nice level, but rather hard I'm still stuck on level 2 (seriously). Don't see any reason an Atari version could not be done, except for the use of multiple sprites on some screens (from gameplay footage on the site).

Is my mojo back, I'd class it as my health bar building up but not near full strength as yet.

Cool, I saw that the other day.

I don't have a crummydore but I'd love to see it ported to the Atari at some point.

My mojo still non existent

1 minute ago, mimo said:

Cool, I saw that the other day.

I don't have a crummydore but I'd love to see it ported to the Atari at some point.

My mojo still non existent

Having seen more screens via the review video, I now reckon it would be a hard port, it's not all about clearing the floor, there's so many moving platforms and bit machines that I reckon would be a bugger to remake on the Atari, BUT I'll leave it to a programmer to give a more reliable thought on a possible port.

Any way, you are supposed to be taking it easy (boring, I know). No game gymnastics for you just yet :)

Lol, looking at that groups releases there is nothing Atari, so not going to hold my breath.

I will probably buy the download if my MiSTer ever arrives ?

Managed a 3 mile walk today, so making good progress.

I did think about bringing my 600xl downstairs the other day, but it felt like too much effort.

1 minute ago, mimo said:

Lol, looking at that groups releases there is nothing Atari, so not going to hold my breath.

I will probably buy the download if my MiSTer ever arrives ?

Managed a 3 mile walk today, so making good progress.

I did think about bringing my 600xl downstairs the other day, but it felt like too much effort.

Top man re the walking, something my waist wants me to do but my knee's disagree very strongly :)

As for the games, it's something the C64 has taken to very well, digital downloads are a strong source of decent games, yes there's free stuff like on the Atari, but I like to be able to offer a few quid to a dev that has worked hard, I wish more Atari devs would do what a lot of the C64 ones do and put up a digital download where they set a recommended price (normally very cheap), but you can pay whatever price you want, even zero. I think a lot of folks on here would happily pay and maybe add a few quid, while others with less money could still get it for free.

• Like 2

Interesting thread.  I thought I was the only one that had a recurring case of the "Atari doldrums!"  Weeks go by and I never turn on my hardware.  Then followed by a brief flurry of activity, etc.  But it will never be like in the 80's and 90's for me.  New hardware usually spurs me into action, but it keeps taking a bigger "fix" to motivate me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

but it keeps taking a bigger "fix" to motivate me.

Quick! Get into rehab. :D

I'm quite sure that what makes my hobby rewarding is not getting enough of it. --- Like an old car you are taking years to fix up... the point is not to have all the work done.

It seems that the COVID shutdowns gave a lot of people more time with their hobby and I am seeing more and more people taking time away. This might be gaming, mod-ing, programming, learning, etc.

Personally, my family and I moved in November of last year. In the new home I was to have a permanent place to setup and keep all my Atari related stuff. I thought how wonderful it would be not to drag it out and put it away. --- Can you see where I am going with this? --- Turns out its nice to have it handy, but it was awesome and exciting "finding the time" and never having quite enough.

A few months ago I went wild and bought a bunch of Atari things I wanted... it was great, but now less rewarding. I've capped my spending intentionally to force myself to draw this out. 

Its a flaw in my personality. Sometimes I might consume too much of a good thing until it makes me sick. 

• Like 1

I'm just getting back in to A8s at the moment and really enjoying it.   I've got a ton of ATR multi boots and am going through them one at time and looking at games i've never played in Years!

I've kept my 810 Happy in a cupboard for years (400 died years ago),   then recently EBAY happened :) 

I forgot how I loved some of the games I played so much.   It will calm down but at the moment i'm loving it!

Preppie 1 and 2 tonight!

• Like 2