IGNORED

Drop in your Atari mojo?

Mclaneinc

Hey @TGB1718:

image.thumb.png.6561c1f76b4ea4a7e2d00feeb9de04ea.png

Damn am I cruel or what?!! ;)

Was worth every pennny. Casing is in fantastic condition.  

Fry Drooling (Futurama) | Reaction GIFs

Thanks for the ST emulator heads up.  I must check out the AA ST section.

I also have a broken Atari Jaguar that needs my attention. Crashes a few seconds into most games. I've ruled out the usual red screen of death bad cart connector issue with it. It can crash on game title screen for most games but Zool 2 plays the entire 1st level with no issues. Reckon it's an IC RAM or related issue. Anyways - I digress.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

I haven't actually fired up any of my 80's retro systems in over a year, except for testing them, as I've been busy either restoring, upgrading, modding or repairing about a half dozen systems in that time. I'm still working on them, but I jump around and do a little bit to one and then move on to another and do a little bit and so on, instead of seeing one through to completion at a time, just because I want to keep doing my electronics hobby, but I get bored working on the same system when I have lots to do to them. Anyway, eventually I'll be finished and then I'll actually start using them again and playing all the games, downloaded and purchased physical copies that I've been buying through all of it but have not even played one yet!

But when my systems are all up and running, and nothing to do on the hardware side of the hobby, it goes in cycles. I may not feel like touching them for months and then I spend months doing nothing but using them in my spare time. Or it may be because with a dozen computers and consoles to play, it goes in cycles for days, weeks or months where I'll play one or two and not touch the others, instead of taking turns with them all when I am in the mood for binge gaming; I usually binge-game on one or two systems at a time, anything from the 70's to current day.

But I never give them up unless forced financially as from previous life experience I know eventually I will want them and be interested in using them or working on them again. I've repurchased several systems several times over the years because I thought I was so disinterested anymore that I didn't want it anymore, then a few years later, there I am, missing it and purchasing another! And that's harder to do these days too, because you are talking hundreds of dollars at once, selling or buying, instead of $50 a pop like it was in the first decade of the 21st century! It's great when having to sell, but not so much when you decide you want it back, but have to pay ten times what you sold it for a few years back! So I keep them, I know eventually my interest will return, it always does, it's all in cycles for me.

39 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Try SteemSSE emulator, not as complete as Altirra, but a good emulator all the same.

and please stop talking about your 1200XL ? else I'll have to go for a lie down and have a little cry ?

Yeah @Beeblebrox! quit talking about your 1200XL! It's time for me to talk about mine!:evil:

20220427_134137.thumb.jpg.aca013f6d41c6108ea6f06cf2903f84a.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

Try SteemSSE emulator, not as complete as Altirra, but a good emulator all the same.

and please stop talking about your 1200XL ? else I'll have to go for a lie down and have a little cry ?

Then you're probably not going to like it when I resume posting about my Super 1200XL ;)

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

I also have a broken Atari Jaguar that needs my attention. Crashes a few seconds into most games. I've ruled out the usual red screen of death bad cart connector issue with it. It can crash on game title screen for most games but Zool 2 plays the entire 1st level with no issues. Reckon it's an IC RAM or related issue. Anyways - I digress.

I got one of those :) but mine works, again, never really use it, just sits out in a garage store room, think it's only

been powered up once in the past 15 years or so, was amazed it still worked.

@TGB1718  Cool. I have a working one too - the original one I bought when I was in my teens. Still have the original receipt for it. I had the JagCD unit too at one point. Sold it maybe 20 years ago. Pity as they are worth £1000-1300 on Ebay currently and are like gold dust.

I bought this broken Jag last year cheaply as an untested on Ebay and took a gamble. I am sure I'll fix it up at some point. 

DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D are classics on the Jag.

2 hours ago, mytek said:

Then you're probably not going to like it when I resume posting about my Super 1200XL ;)

How super? Mine is pretty super...it has a real PBI port for one...

But lots of mods and upgrades and it's not done yet. One of these days I'll rewrite a blog about it in my AA profile, I used to have elsewhere and update it. I've already given it a place-holder of coming blog attractions...

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

@TGB1718  Cool. I have a working one too - the original one I bought when I was in my teens. Still have the original receipt for it. I had the JagCD unit too at one point. Sold it maybe 20 years ago. Pity as they are worth £1000-1300 on Ebay currently and are like gold dust.

I bought this broken Jag last year cheaply as an untested on Ebay and took a gamble. I am sure I'll fix it up at some point. 

DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D are classics on the Jag.

Cool! I get to show off to you again! Of course I've had mine since 1995, everything still works perfectly.

20220427_163223.thumb.jpg.4b1fe7a7a512007835cdb6c3d0969957.jpg

20220427_163913.thumb.jpg.53690a69dd18bc2ccd24e32a1928bd66.jpg20220427_164015.thumb.jpg.9f2e22e9ff2c7633294a1101c16521ad.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Niiice. I like the custom colours and matching controllers.  ?

Thanks. I painted them over 20 years ago, still use it frequently and the custom paint job has held up very well. I also have another standard controller I never painted and the unpainted pro-controller is one of the reproductions so I could save having to use my real pr-controller and wearing it out.

I used to have a second Jaguar and two copies each of Battlesphere, Doom and Aircars, but I rarely ever had the opportunity to play linked with someone, so I sold it and the second copies of the games back in 2005. I still have the Jaglink though, just in case I ever do get together with another Jag owner who has one or more of these games...of course with my Skunk board I can supply the second copy of the game. The Game Drive won't work with the Jag CD attached or with anything connected to the back like Jaglink, so the Skunk board still has it's uses.

Edited by Gunstar

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@mytek  Super 1200XL?!?!?:lust:

image.thumb.png.98cf58827a962c0ae22f4fe94dc5c189.png

LOL :rolling:

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

How super? Mine is pretty super...it has a real PBI port for one...

But lots of mods and upgrades and it's not done yet. One of these days I'll rewrite a blog about it in my AA profile, I used to have elsewhere and update it. I've already given it a place-holder of coming blog attractions...

Oh it's not going to have all the bells and whistles or a PBI, but it will be very well equipped none the less. Think of it more as one of the Super friends, with yours actually being the Superman of 1200XLs ;)

1 hour ago, mytek said:

LOL :rolling:

Oh it's not going to have all the bells and whistles or a PBI, but it will be very well equipped none the less. Think of it more as one of the Super friends, with yours actually being the Superman of 1200XLs ;)

Oh, Okay, but Since I'm not yet done with all of the upgrades, I might consider my 1200XL like Superboy,,,when it's finished then Superman.;)

• Like 1

Lol, but I do mean it, if my slightly down in the dumps thread (although I'm not actually down in the dumps) can generate fun and pride in our machines then I'm more than happy, I still love my gear and the whole razzmatazz of gaming, I just am not interested in picking up a pad at the mo. A phase or that's it, I have no clue but I can't imagine I won't get back behind the pad as it were :) 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 6:03 AM, mimo said:

Yeah, right now.

Had a massive heart attack 3 weeks ago, lucky to be alive but seriously considering getting rid of all my Atari stuff. Just no appetite for it anymore, funny I thought that my rehab would include some Atari time 

Sorry to hear about your health.  However, our hobbies do need to be put into perspective.  While I have loved Atari all my adult life, there will come a time when I will let it go. 

I've never had this happen - a time where I didn't want to play around with my Atari stuff.

There was a time, when I took DarkForce offline for a few years that I was a little despondent

but that was because of the waning interest in BBS's in general due to the arrival of the Internet.

After discovering telnet and restarting, that despondency went away fast...  :)

It's a really rare day when I don't do at least -1- thing Atari...

On 4/27/2022 at 7:03 AM, mimo said:

Had a massive heart attack 3 weeks ago, lucky to be alive but seriously considering getting rid of all my Atari stuff. Just no appetite for it anymore

Very sorry to hear it. I am battling a more-than-fare-share of critical medical conditions in my family lately (not me... I am as healthy as... er... well... I haven't changed.) Anyways, we are dealing with the depression that comes post medical. Hard thing is that my family could not see it as depression... just a lack of desire... a lack of "color" or "vibrancy" in things that used to be exciting. I wouldn't unload it all just yet. Give yourself some time to heal from more than the heart attack.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:59 AM, Mclaneinc said:

Has anyone in here had a time when you just are not touching your machines, there's no drive to play them, does it go?

Absolutely. Pack it all up nicely and put it all away... a few months later it will be spread from one corner of your house to the next... at least that is how it is for me. Though, I am not a huge fan of games... I enjoy them, but I am probably not a "gamer."

22 hours ago, mytek said:

What keeps me going is developing new hardware for the A8.

And this is what brings me back and what I spend the most time playing with. I couldn't develop hardware --- but I consume the stuff others build. I enjoy putting it through its paces, chaining it together, talking to the developers and submitting bug reports. In all this I have learned more about Atari than I ever thought I could.

Also, I have thanked many a Atari hardware/software developer; and many have said that my interest and participation helps drive them to continue to develop! 

In the end I will run out of things to buy or money to buy it with. I will reach a peek of what my brain is willing to learn about Atari. Life will get in the way. Other things will be more important and there just won't be time. This will inevitably lead to me starting to feel bad that my components are gathering dust... I will clean them up... pack some/most/all of it away... and come back with a vengeance at some time in the future.

Now if I could just afford some of @mytek 's stuff! That 576nuc looks freaking amazing!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 5:59 AM, Mclaneinc said:

Has anyone in here had a time when you just are not touching your machines, there's no drive to play them, does it go?

Like I said, I have no wish to get rid of my gear and not fed up with stuff, just not interested in doing...Feels very weird..

I honestly had something like a 5-10 year dry spell where I felt like I was done with Atari stuff. I had acquired everything I could reasonably acquire, and the other stuff was too expensive to justify and could be played via emulators anyway, so with nothing to collect I started losing "the buzz." I turned that around a few years ago and got back into checking the site regularly and buying/playing homebrews, and I keep that going by reviewing them for my YouTube channel. I'll always love Atari, it was the first console I ever played as a kid, but it's also natural for the interest to increase and decrease due to other things in your life taking precedence.