IGNORED

Star Raiders - Warrior difficulty completed with NO SHIELDS! No-hit game.

Ocelo

So I've posted before about how much I love Star Raiders and previously live-streamed a "Star Commander Class 1" game. After sharing that with my Dad and my Uncle, they said "Well, that's good, but can you beat Warrior difficulty with no shields on?". I said that seems ridiculous, but apparently my Uncle had done this in the past. Challenge accepted!

Here's a YouTube video of my livestream game where I complete Warrior difficulty with _no shields_. I take no hits. Despite this perfect game, because of the lower difficulty my final score was still only Captain Class 5 (which seems crazy).

For what it's worth, they said that completing "Commander" difficulty with no shields must be impossible. I tried that for a couple of games, and made it to 7 or 8 kills with no shields on. I agree that it seems impossible, but maybe we'll keep trying. :)

• Like 11

I think I tried for the perfect game maybe once or twice - or at least did the shield minimisation strategy.  Gave it up after inadvertantly smacking into a stray asteroid.

The guide there doesn't seem to mention - I'm fairly sure it does apply - how well you centre the cursor within the sector on the Galactic Map before warping also seems to have bearing on how accurate your arrival will be in relation to enemy ships.

Also, if you get the starbase surrounded message during warp (rare but does happen) you generally want to disengage and go there - you'll often be able to land in an empty sector by steering the aiming cursor away from the centre during the warp, which is helpful in being able to go where you're needed without being destroyed while on the map (just aborting the warp usually gets you nowhere and just wastes the energy)

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1