IGNORED

In Development: A New ADAM Computer System Quick Preview Inside

DannyVdH

Working at full speed developing the hardware & software

Some on the feature,

Emulated ADAM/Colecovision based on Marat Fayzullin's Colem emulator. (thanks for developing this piece of software)

runs on a Latte Panda Delta powerful single board computer quad core operated with Linux lite / openbox.

The software emulator is a modified version that works with all newly developed hardware.

A custom built-in drive based on John Lundy's ADE is coming. Navigation will be controlled with a thumb joystick.

Cartridges can be connected, they will be 32K and above. (needs further development)

The original ADAM keyboard can be used or standard USB keyboards.

Adamnet is supported for external hardware communication. (usually working, needs further development)

This system is still under development, a lot can still be added or changed.

All feedback is welcome!

ADAM@e_INSIDE.thumb.png.4bff8a22007b92a4c2921893c7aa7f95.png

• Like 14

Our little brave hero gets a new name, The system goes beyond just one system, hence this name change. Now he continues as "ADAm@tion" Progress is in full swing... pcbs are under construction, hope to start next weekend, meanwhile software is in the works. I will thank everyone for all the replies, I will try to answer all questions asap. All feedback is welcome.
ADAm@tion_FINAL1.thumb.png.e3faed0da06db8cb13eabd0b9c2e6cbe.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Colem is a great emulator, because I add homemade hardware to it and try to get as close to the real thing as possible, there are quite a few changes in this emulator.
Hardware such as the ADE drive, in this system it also undergoes many additions.
At the moment it is built on running an ADAM computer, but by selecting from the menu screen you can choose between different systems. MSX1,2,2+ is one of them.

Other systems will follow. First things First, let this compact system do its job.

I also take inspiration from the converted DS ADAM emulator, there is a lot of improvement over the Colem emulator.
There's a lot to research, reprogram, add stuff and so on, so it's going to be a while before this project is done.

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask, I will try to answer them as soon as possible.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

I presume this can play Colecovision cartridges, both original and homebrew?

20 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

And for quite a few homebrew games, will it also support the SGM?

As far as I understand, the answers are YES and YES. Will have to wait for DVdH to chime in for verification.

• Thanks 1

I made my first prototype housing. I hope to receive all ordered parts next week..

Haven't used the right colors yet. When my materials are in I'm going to put him in his Adam shirt.
Have already stripped the linux os system completely and have a startup time of 5 seconds.

It will be a full embedded system with the hardware.

I will try to be compatible if possible. The built-in drive will run almost anything like the real thing.
Anything not yet supported will be under investigation.

Build-in electronics are ADAM real keyboard, ColecoVision Cartridges at the moment 32K, ColecoVision real Joysticks, Modified ADE drive to load
en save all your ADAM software. You can also use a standard usb keyboard. 
Support for MSX1,2 and 2+ , more emulations will be added in the near future.
The modified ADE drive will be extented with a menue where you can choose between the different systems.

IMAGE 2022-05-08 183813.jpg

• Like 5

This depends on how it evaluates further, there appears to be a lot of interest in it, this in itself is very pleasant. 
There is still a lot to be developed and then I have to see if I can stay within all the rules. Still a long way to go 
before I can think of a production run like kickstarter and the others, but it's on my mind. 
The price setting is also an important point of attention. It shouldn't make me rich, but I should be able to cover my expenses. 
Also quite an exercise.

untitled.39.png

• Like 6

My minor nitpick is about the name. I actually love the name ADAm@tion and from a graphic design standpoint it looks great, but as a social media guy, I know that having the @ symbol as part of your name is going to make it difficult for anyone to discuss this on any social media platforms. Please give some consideration to that.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

The name has been finally chosen, ADAM+ thanks for all the responses. Currently writing completely new drive software tailored to the new hardware. My pcbs should arrive next week. I have to say that the single board computer does an excellent job, even with pixel expansion (EPX). Makes your pixelated screen that little bit more finished.

19967368_ADAMFINAL.thumb.png.33c405675b70602bd1fc8f605537a77c.png

• Like 5

This looks like a very neat ADAM clone to use. Very cool that original game cartridges, ADAMNET keyboard, and ADAMNET disk drive will be supported. Looks like there is some expansion slots also. This could end up being more powerful than the 1983 ADAM with 100% backward compatibility. Also HDMI output.

I would be very interested in this system if released in either software form or combo hardware software.  

• Like 1

With a new operating system and patches to existing Smartwriter and other Coleco and third party software, this new ADAM computer should support native 80 column color with USB printers and keyboards. Also a 2MB or large memory expander should be natively supported.  

I hope this project becomes a reality since it would be the very first ADAM clone released.

1 hour ago, HDTV1080P said:

I would be very interested in this system if released in either software form or combo hardware software.  

This brings up a good point which I was already thinking about but was holding off on asking seeing as DVdH has his hands full already with development, but hear we go…

Would this enhanced software emulator be available one day to download to use on other systems and be portable to other operating systems for those that don’t want to buy or build an ADAM+ system?

• Like 1

Some people would purchase this to own a high-end ColecoVision system that supports literal physical ColecoVision cartridges plus rom images from the SD card. The ADAM computer runs many of the SGM games also since it has the extra memory built in. Only games that require the SGM sound chip would need to be emulated in software. So this ADAM should in theory be 100% compatible with SGM games when released as long as it emulates the SGM sound chip.

I would have called this system something like “EVE the ColecoVision ADAM compatible computer system.”  

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Thanks 1