IGNORED

In Development: A New ADAM Computer System Quick Preview Inside

DannyVdH

@KeatahThe modified emulator will get a signal when a cartridge reset has been given, then it reads the cartridge directly into memory. So yes on the fly.
@HDTV1080PAt the moment it will read cartridges from 8K till 32K , SGM will be a futher step and it could be an extension through usb port, don't know it yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DannyVdH said:

Today I am so happy, China has moved so fast that I have already received my PCB's, within the week, unbelievable!... and with the weekend just around the corner, it makes my day!

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

Yes the China companies and Chinese employees in general make high quality products at fair prices. So I am guessing that this ADAM product might be released sometime in late 2022?

Just now, DannyVdH said:

In about a month I want a fully working prototype, and yes I will try to get a full system in late 2022.
It depends on how the programming goes, but I have a really worked out plan!, I'll do this kind of work for about 30 years!

No rush, 2023+ is also fine with me. It will be nice to have the worlds first ADAM computer clone on the market that in theory should be more powerful then the original 1983 ADAM. I am guessing firmware updates will be offered by SD or USB stick. The HDMI output will be nice. Back in 1983 the complete ADAM computer cost $800, and this ADAM should be more affordable for the average person.

Updates come directly from my server through a hosted website about this system. 
The only thing I don't know at the moment is how I'm going to get it to the public, 
maybe I'll use kickstarter for it, they give me the option not to invest it all myself.

16 minutes ago, DannyVdH said:

Updates come directly from my server through a hosted website about this system. 
The only thing I don't know at the moment is how I'm going to get it to the public, 
maybe I'll use kickstarter for it, they give me the option not to invest it all myself.

If there was an ethernet port on the board, then a firmware update could be done directly over a wired home network to the firmware update sever, with a menu option labeled firmware update in the ADAM BIOS menu. Without a networking option the only other way for firmware updates is SD card or USB stick. I am guessing this new ADAM system might cost $300-$500+. But the price is something you might not announce until release date.

It has an ethernet port and even bluetooth on board, so that won't be a problem. 
The price will be maintained after a fully running system, I will try to use good but not too expensive materials so that I can get the price as low as possible.
One of the things to be able to significantly reduce the price is to get a volume together.
I'm a technical man, not really a commercial one, so I still have a lot to build on that. 
Approaching the large mass of enthusiasts is not that easy.
Maybe you all can help me a  little on this way by bringing it to your sources.
It's not for the big bucks, but I'm trying to get out of the many expenses when this comes out.
It will also be open source, so no one will have to buy it, they can make it themselves.

• Like 2

For some reason I thought the board had two RJ12 ADAMNet connectors. That is awesome that the board has one or two RJ45 ethernet connectors. So is one of the rear jacks a RJ45 ethernet jack and the other rear jack a RJ12 ADAMNET jack? It must be since you mentioned it has ethernet and the original posting says ADAM keyboard can be connected.  

Edited by HDTV1080P

Even more, 2 x RJ12, one for adam keyboard and the other free adamnet port.
And one 1Gb ethernet RJ45 port.

Two usb and one USB-C

Audio jack

HDMI port

Power connector 12V - 3A

On de side 2 x DB9 joysticks

IMG_0999.thumb.JPG.dc7727132c4e9a8052ee506e48a411d0.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

Edited by DannyVdH
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, DannyVdH said:

Even more, 2 x RJ12, one for adam keyboard and the other free adamnet port.
And one 1Gb ethernet RJ45 port.

Two usb and one USB-C

Audio jack

HDMI port

Power connector 12V - 3A

On de side 2 x DB9 joysticks

IMG_0999.thumb.JPG.dc7727132c4e9a8052ee506e48a411d0.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

Thanks for the more detailed pictures. Having two RJ12 ADAMNET jacks is awesome. I am on a 100% 1GB home network and offering 1,000MB ethernet is a nice feature for firmware updates and maybe one day web browsing. So real awesome to have two RJ12 jacks and one ethernet jack. Plus the original Coleco controllers can be used with the two DB9 jacks. A standard power jack is also very nice. 3 USB ports is nice (2 USB and 1 USB-C). Looks like USB 2.0 was used instead of the faster USB 3.0. While most people will use HDMI that will pass both audio and video, offering a analog audio output allows people to use a HDMI to DVI adapter for older displays that only have DVI.

It looks like there is one big black expansion port for future use plus a couple of smaller black ports and a couple of green ports. Some of these might be able to be used to add future hardware using a ribbon style cable coming out the side or top of the case.  

17 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Next I would love to see an Atari 5200 version of this with the same full backwards-compatibility as this only for the 5200.

Technically a core could be created for any 8 bit videogame and computer system from the 80’s. Not sure if 16 bit cores can be created for 90’s videogame and computer systems. But in theory a Intellivision, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, TI/994a, Commodore, and many other cores could be created. But it is a lot of work for a programmer to create additional cores in software, and maybe charging $50+ for each core downloaded over ethernet would be needed.

So, if there was in the far future an Atari 5200 core created, then using a SD card in the front SD slot to play rom images would work. However making a cartridge adapter that accepts Atari 5200 cartridges would be much more work.   

Edited by HDTV1080P

3 hours ago, HDTV1080P said:

Technically a core could be created for any 8 bit videogame and computer system from the 80’s. Not sure if 16 bit cores can be created for 90’s videogame and computer systems. But in theory a Intellivision, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, TI/994a, Commodore, and many other cores could be created. But it is a lot of work for a programmer to create additional cores in software, and maybe charging $50+ for each core downloaded over ethernet would be needed.

So, if there was in the far future an Atari 5200 core created, then using a SD card in the front SD slot to play rom images would work. However making a cartridge adapter that accepts Atari 5200 cartridges would be much more work.   

I would pay for a core as long as she runs on an SD card (I already have all my games on and can always upload more onto one) and can use even OEM 5200 controllers, the rest of what I'd need would be am HDMI or old school RF and a power supply (yes even the newer 5v USB power adapters) that's prety much it.

Hi, I looked into Atari integration as a lot of hardware I've made can be used for it.
So there is a high probability that integration of Atari 400, 800, 600 XL, 800XL, 130XE, 5200 will be the next add-on in this system.
Please wait, I'm still working on a first working device before taking all these steps.
what I mean, I'm not at the end of the tunnel.

ADAM+ the most advanced soft & hardware emulation system.

ADAM+ ADDONS.png

• Like 6

Some say it will be a regular emulator like so many, I can say for sure it isn't, first of all it will be built very naturally to match the ADAM,

of course with the linux based power computer you have a lot of more options, this is what I want to get out of it to set myself apart from the rest.

This will be the add-ons, the so called big '+'! ?

• Like 2

Very good progress today, adam keyboard, joysticks support is already working.

Next on the list, drive and menu structure OLED display, drive based on ADE but with many personalized menu functions.

Then it is the turn of the cartridge.

bdb44e4f-2bd3-4a3e-a25c-671e742e3368.jpg

• Like 8