IGNORED

ColecoVision Launch Date?

Does anybody remember what the exact official launch date for the ColecoVision here in the US (at least as far as where the East Coast and Midwest US are concerned)? I say it was on July 20, 1982.

If I know right, in addition to the pack-in that was Donkey Kong, these were the four other launch titles to ship out initially:

Venture (Exidy) (cat. no. #2417)

Lady Bug (Universal) (cat. no. #2433)

Cosmic Avenger (Universal) (cat. no. #2434)

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (Peyo; administered in the US through Wallace Berrie & Company) (cat. no. #2443)

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981
  • Like 1

At my age I can barely remember 2 weeks ago much less 35 years.

All I can recall is that there were 3 Kiosks at Jefferson Wards in Miami 167th street

There was the Intellivision, TI 99 4A and the Colecovision.

I played Smurf, Donkey Kong and I think Mouse Trap.

I got the Colecovision that Christmas because I begged and pleaded.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

I tried to search a few newspaper archives without much luck.  This page (with sources listed!) mentions that the console was released in New York and Boston "around the end of July 1982" and was eventually rolled out nationwide (after a separate Chicago/LA launch) by Sept/Oct. of 1982.

Even better, it has a list of cartridges by month, also with sources listed.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, ColecoFan1981 said:

Does anybody remember what the exact official launch date for the ColecoVision here in the US (at least as far as where the East Coast and Midwest US are concerned)? I say it was on July 20, 1982.

If I know right, in addition to the pack-in that was Donkey Kong, these were the four other launch titles to ship out initially:

Venture (Exidy) (cat. no. #2417)

Lady Bug (Universal) (cat. no. #2433)

Cosmic Avenger (Universal) (cat. no. #2434)

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (Peyo; administered in the US through Wallace Berrie & Company) (cat. no. #2443)

~Ben

Sounds about right.

My first games were Venture, Carnival and Zaxxon.  I had a neighbor that had Mouse Trap and Lady Bug. 

I was still mostly asking for Intellivision games early on.  When Turbo was released, I wanted that, but I still don't have it to this day.  :(  LOL

On 5/4/2022 at 6:03 AM, Falonn said:

I tried to search a few newspaper archives without much luck.  This page (with sources listed!) mentions that the console was released in New York and Boston "around the end of July 1982" and was eventually rolled out nationwide (after a separate Chicago/LA launch) by Sept/Oct. of 1982.

Even better, it has a list of cartridges by month, also with sources listed.

According to that website, the release dates they give to both Mr. Do!'s Castle and Q*bert's Qubes would again mean, according to Norman G. Sippel's history of the CV, that they were among the rarer titles released for the system. However, this also means there are inaccuracies in Joe Huber's CV FAQ, such as the CV stopping production during the spring of 1984.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

You are VERY close. According to 'Coleco The Official Book' the very first announcement was in June 1982 and it was officially released in August 1982. No exact day in August was given and the people that worked on the book say it remains unknown as of 2016. It took almost 3 years to develop with I think 3 prototypes before the final launch machine. 

Edited by cimerians