IGNORED

Commando from C64 with Atari + VBXE sources, is it possible and how fast?

shanti77

On 5/12/2022 at 2:35 PM, MrFish said:

Speaking of source code... source for the 7800 version is available. It's similar to the 8-bit version, in many ways (both developed by Sculptured), but also superior in a lot of ways. I'm not sure the 7800 version has as many levels as the 8-bit version, though.

Commando (7800) - Source.zip 572.63 kB · 3 downloads

Nice! Maybe the music from the 7800 version could be ported to the XEGS cartridge one. Could be possible?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wilheim said:

Nice! Maybe the music from the 7800 version could be ported to the XEGS cartridge one. Could be possible?

I don't see why not. The only catch is that the 7800 version uses all four POKEY voices for the music (with TIA doing the sound effects). So, sound effects on the 8-bit version would need to use some sort of multiplexing; probably best to multiplex with the percussion.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good Boss...Looking real good... Hopefully someone will come through with the music, the Hubbard track can be done, Warhawk on the Atari shows that..

Sorry mods, thought the image was just pure fun...But you are the boss..

Edited by Mclaneinc

3 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

With this sort of accomplishment being achieved, is it possible to convert C64-only games (like Ultimate Wizard, Space Taxi, Dino Eggs, etc) over to the Atari 8-bit platform?

The only issue I can imagine would be sprite ability, I know very little re the VBXE, I have no clue if it offers more sprites. Wizard, is just Jumpman with more sprite usage. The other two should be no real hassle if someone wanted to pick up the gauntlet. Space Taxi from memory, would not be a tough game to convert looking at the playing of it. 

But let's not forget, so much is possible, but only if someone has the time and ability (and skills) to do any ports.. There's a million and one games we would love to have on the Atari from other systems, but real life makes that a nice dream in most cases..

commando05062022.zip

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

The only issue I can imagine would be sprite ability, I know very little re the VBXE, I have no clue if it offers more sprites. Wizard, is just Jumpman with more sprite usage. The other two should be no real hassle if someone wanted to pick up the gauntlet. Space Taxi from memory, would not be a tough game to convert looking at the playing of it. 

But let's not forget, so much is possible, but only if someone has the time and ability (and skills) to do any ports.. There's a million and one

games we would love to have on the Atari from other systems, but real life makes that a nice dream in most cases..

Commando VBXE with 8 levels today 05/06/2022. All thanks to the great Shanti77.

commando05062022.zip

• Thanks 3

given my assumption that VBXE gives a serious amount of extra capability, can i ask why you have just lifted the graphics from the c64 arcade SE version unedited?
are they just placeholder?
I ask because I know that if i had had the opportunity to use c64 colour ram instead of complying with the legacy graphics code of commando 1985, the SE version would have looked very different to how it does.
I am assuming vbxe gives significantly more opportunities than just colour ram would.

@STE'86basically it's a C64 graphics emulation using VBXE. In the code, I only make corrections for graphics, music and controls. Of course, you could redraw the sprites and boards here, but then you would have to make significant changes to the code. You can improve the shapes of the sprites quickly, because they are written in the hires anyway.

I was able to add sprite masking (behind trees, under a bridge).

commando07062022.zip

Edited by shanti77
  • Like 10

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Commando on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:
(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 1

Thank you for this great VBXE version. I played it on original hardware.

Unfortunately I have a small graphic background error. The font from the title picture shines through the scrolling playing field.

This is on both 8 level versions, from 05 and 07 June. In the 4 level version from June 1st this "error" is not.

The "error" is also not visible on Altirra, only on the original hardware with VBXE.

I hope you can see it in the photo.

Cfaulty.jpg

CTitel.jpg

5 hours ago, shanti77 said:

@Yellowman interesting, the background is color 0, but I have transparency turned off. I will fix this, just delete the text or change the dlist. Maybe @phaeron would know why you can see this text.

It looks like this might be an undocumented interaction between overlay priority and the hires PF1 logic. Try setting the xcolor bit and see if that makes a difference -- it disables the PF1 luma split in ANTIC hires.

• Like 1

Pretty sweet title screen. :)

IMG_2052.jpg.fcebef05d3bc2a1eee2c09aa66f93c4f.jpg

There appears to be some ghosting text after the initial game itself starts to boot up (ignore the vertical lines - that's noise from my crappy GBS8220 scan doubler).

IMG_2053.thumb.jpg.28d634b680d23cf5c2670e4c41061912.jpg 

IMG_2054.thumb.jpg.87609a7a05e42ca35c6dfcf244295799.jpg

Game play is nice and fluid, however, and very fun. I do wish I knew how to throw grenades though - the 7800 version is nice because of the console's dual fire buttons. I didn't read back in the thread to see what I missed however. 

(Actual hardware: 1088XLD beta build, configured as PAL + VBXE through GBS8220 scan doubler and running on a 19" Dell SVGA CRT).

EDIT: I guess the ghosting was already noticed. Sadly, the fix seems to not have worked - I also don't see anyone discuss how to throw a grenade. I seem to have done it a couple times by accident but I don't know what combo of joystick+button triggers it. 

18 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Hold down the button.

Thanks. That sure makes the gameplay a little bit awkward at times - it would be nice if there was an option to support a Genesis pad or other similar 2-button controller. Maybe I've just played too much of the 7800 version.

Gameplay is otherwise nice and fluid - I think collision-detection with some of the environment objects (rocks, trees) is a bit tougher than the 7800 version, but hit detection with the player and enemy shots seems more forgiving, so perhaps it's a wash.