IGNORED

Atari 800 Joystick Port 1 Problem

I recently picked up an Atari 800.  Upon testing further, it seems to be working fine except for the joystick port 1.

When a plug in a known good joystick, the ship in Atari Blast or any other game will move to the far right and not move.

What should I look at checking first to fix this?

POKEY chip?  It generates sound just fine, but this chip also reads the joystick ports, correct?

It's compatible with a number of different PIA chips, including from various Atari systems (any C01495) or even the W65C21N, at least for the most part (not in a 576NUC+ if you want to be able to program the PIC while the PIA is plugged in).

On 5/6/2022 at 11:10 PM, Panther said:

It's compatible with a number of different PIA chips, including from various Atari systems (any C01495) or even the W65C21N, at least for the most part (not in a 576NUC+ if you want to be able to program the PIC while the PIA is plugged in).

It's weird, because I pulled the 800 PIA and plugged it into the 1200xl and it wouldn't boot at ALL.  I put the original 1200xl PIA back in and the 1200xl booted fine.

Later machines use PIA bits for memory banking so if it's problematic can stop the computer working totally.

800 would likely work without the PIA even present though be unable to use just about any external peripheral except paddle knobs.

Edited by Rybags

It is possible to have a partially functioning PIA... A side dead, B side fine, vice versa and other aberrations.... also note that not all PIA's are created equal... I had made mention of this previously and some members did a study on them right on down to how bit banging peripherals on the I/O ports (joystick ports) was more or less effective.

That being said I'd still check the passive, support components, and the pokey. The I/O ports (joystick ports) touch a number of paths... no harm in checking the connections and connectors either.

Edited by _The Doctor__