IGNORED

A.R.T.I. [Done]

Muddyfunster

A.R.T.I. (Archaeological Rescue Team International)

LATEST DEMO IS AVAILABLE HERE

Play on JS7800 HERE

A.R.T.I. was released in limited numbers at PRGE2023 and is also available in the VCS store. 

A.R.T.I. is available in the AtariAge store now!

A.R.T.I. is also available on the VCS store for the VCS and a digital version is available

A.R.T.I. is inspired by the classic 2600/C64/A8 game H.E.R.O. by Jon Van Ryzin. H.E.R.O. 

Objective

You are Arty's new apprentice. A bunch of explorers and adventurers have got themselves lost in South America and you need to go and rescue them.

There are additional on-ROM instructions accessible from the title page. 

Controls

Left & Right - Run / fly left and right.

Up - Activate the jetpack

Fire 1- Laser

Fire 2- Dynamite

A.R.T.I. supports SNES2Atari and MEGA7800 to give addition control options and the ability to pause from the controller.

Scoring 

Rescuing a lost explorer or adventurer will earn you 1,000 points.

Destroying a wall is worth 75 points

Killing any critters or beasties is worth 50 points

Bonus points are awarded for each stick of dynamite remaining and for remaining power, when making a rescue.

An extra life is awarded at 20,000 points

Demo

A 10 level demo is available below. 

Please note the demo is currently designed for NTSC machines and is not fully optimised for PAL machines yet- there may be speed glitches etc.

A.R.T.I. Compatibility 

image.png.d57ec2dcdf5e2ff2a1bc5c58f50894ce.png

• A.R.T.I. is tested and working great with Dragonfly, GD7800, MiSTer, A7800 V5.2 or better and JS7800 & 7800DS Emulators
  • A.R.T.I works with most Emulators but has some issues with BUP System (Some POKEY notes are off key) and Legacy ProSystem based emulators (some graphical glitches and POKEY notes are off).

Plans

• All done!

Credits & Thanks

@sramirez2008 @-^CrossBow^- @Trebor for their testing and feedback - fantastic as always!

@RevEng for help with compression and answering my never ending stream of questions!

@Synthpopalooza for some Pokey Perfection

@mksmith for helping to get the tunes into the game!

@ZeroPage Homebrew for showing the demo on the stream

Media 

0003.thumb.png.a6a709d0cb7760fceb3d3a756b2bfd7d.png0004.thumb.png.f3f6ddf4a4a31d811dc8058abd801160.png

0006.thumb.png.c927b1bdab01b6e6c3f40d4b8ba3b470.pngimage.thumb.png.269389fa23d6acdbbb01c953a31dc88f.png

image.thumb.png.4d3df2808d816ac74ca64f0bc3e97c70.pngimage.thumb.png.46cf229ae33e45c3df7d39cd8e479f3e.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

Something about the dialogue and look reminds me of the book Heart of Darkness.

I'm not familiar with that one. For the character, his dialogue is very cheesy and over the top "stiff upper lip" parody dialed up to 11.

12 minutes ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

can HERO be beaten? Or does it trip levels? 

I think after level 20 it just cycles screens from levels 12 onwards but randomly.

1 hour ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

Will your version have an ending Lewis? 

Nothing set in stone yet Vinnie. My current thinking is when you finish the classic levels, you unlock the "plus" levels which will be the all new levels. I'll also likely add in a level select feature like the original.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Also thanks @Andrew Davie for pointing out the spelling error on "archaeological" ! :) 

You're welcome!  The game looked amazing.

I have one suggestion - during the transition to a dark screen (I saw this when J. went off the bottom of one screen, into a "black" screen). I thought it might work if you started a fade-to-black on the first screen when the player gets below a certain point but before the screen switch. In other words the lower you go the darker the current screen gets (but never fully dark), and then you switch to the new screen.  I don't know if this would work (and of course the same going back the other way).  But i thought it worth mentioning.

Congrats on the swell piece of work; I loved the mayan-feel of the artwork.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Credits & Thanks

@sramirez2008 @-^CrossBow^- @Trebor for their testing and feedback - fantastic as always!

@RevEng for help with compression and answering my never ending stream of questions!

@ZeroPage Homebrew for showing the demo on the stream

Thank you so much Lewis for letting us debut A.R.T.I. on ZPH last night, the controls and visuals are already incredible. I can't wait to play it again on the stream further into development!

- James

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I thought it might work if you started a fade-to-black on the first screen when the player gets below a certain point but before the screen switch. In other words the lower you go the darker the current screen gets (but never fully dark), and then you switch to the new screen.

Thanks Andrew, that's actually a really neat idea. I'm not sure how well it would translate in game but I'll give that a look. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

I watched the ZPH twitch feed. I love the fact that the trapped explorers sometimes look like famous peeps like Indiana Jones and Lora Croft. 

Jolly good show. 

The similarity between these wayward souls and other famous peeps is purely coincidental, Vinnie old chap :)