IGNORED

OOZY THE GOO - Gaiden

vhzc

Hi guys.

Hi want to share the first demo of my new project: OOZY THE GOO Gaiden.

It is based on my another game Oozy the Goo Slime Quest, but is not direct port, and like in that one the goal of the game is to pass the maze in the given time. The remaining time is considered your score and there is not lives, so you can die over and over until the time runs off (yay!)

The first demo has only 20 screens/1 floor, but it is playable and has all the main elements of the game (score, game over screen, etc).

Surprisingly I still don' t have a flash cart for 7800, so all my testing is made using the A7800 emulator, so as usual testing on actual hardware will be greatly appreciated.

Only NTSC for now.

oozy_the_goo_gaiden_demo1.a78 <-- Current ROM

DEMO 3

- Really close to RC stage.

- 60 screens/3 floors

- Lot of cosmetic changes, as usual.

oozy_the_goo_gaiden_demo3.a78 <-- Current ROM

DEMO 4

- A couple of new screens, changes on some screens and correction of some bugs.

- Lot of cosmetic changes, as usual.

oozy_the_goo_gaiden_demo4.a78 <-- Current ROM

0000.png.417a064cb5940086adaab6fad31be14b.png

0011.png.017928eb8975e3f959153117fb6b8e51.png

0003.png.25e3302b34d06060f89bb19f628db819.png

0001.png.82d60dccccd470491f6c195c9b14116b.png

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

On 5/9/2022 at 6:41 PM, alucardX said:

Your art is always great and plays to the strengths of the 7800 very nicely.

I second this! Characters & animation look fantastic. Played through it today - super fun game! Loved all the small details. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A sloppy playthrough - but completed demo 1, nonetheless.  Boss challenge was a nice one and loved that the code changes every time you play:

image.png.c3f90c58af92dafddc26e24eaa5ddf64.png

Very enjoyable so far with enough maze for a challenge, but not enough to be frustrating.  It is very well balanced with action puzzle problem solving.  Another winner in development; very much looking forward to updates.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Trebor said:

Having a blast so far.

Amazing the expression that is able to be conveyed through just the eyes and eyebrows.

Ran into a slight bug, able to pass through a wall as demonstrated below:

image.png.5cdf8d828a66705f8bcf36e07d48abdf.png

Thanks for reporting! It will be corrected in the next build.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 8:00 PM, vhzc said:

Thanks for reporting! It will be corrected in the next build.

I found a similar bug that may be related to the one reported by Trebor above.

I was standing on the very left side of the screen pictured below, the boss touched me, pushed me through the wall into the room in the screenshot below that and died there. After that I  had to navigate back to the boss.

- James

image.thumb.png.ef4f19f24e861a9a505afcc9b1043f13.png

image.thumb.png.d8928b9b0b96d4109c5db9bcb6edd1c1.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I found a similar bug that may be related to the one reported by Trebor above.

I was standing on the very left side of the screen pictured below, the boss touched me, pushed me through the wall into the room in the screenshot below that and died there. After that I  had to navigate back to the boss.

- James

image.thumb.png.ef4f19f24e861a9a505afcc9b1043f13.png

image.thumb.png.d8928b9b0b96d4109c5db9bcb6edd1c1.png

Thanks for reporting!. I also have encountered with that bug myself and It should be corrected for the next build.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Demo 3...

FLOOR2.PNG.d393b943f02ace16b3e9bc35ccf9df1f.PNG

FLOOR2TOO.PNG.a9f5e7a49b78ea067d7be4131f3b423e.PNG

Double the GOO!

FLOOR2TIMES3.PNG.11576541b189f0964c1390a7d0a7d7d9.PNG

Not making it beyond Floor 2 just yet, but this title keeps you coming back for more OOZY adventure!

VHZC putting out addictively awesome games, and here is no exception.  Cosmetically, I just absolutely love it when I witness the first take on something like the timer area and think, "That's great as is", but here comes the polish and it's even better than before. 

The changes to the walls and the aforementioned timer made me feel like I went from a futuristic alien race prison, to a sort of alternate medieval or ancient period of time, dungeon setting. Really a fantastical change, though I enjoy both environments, the current one, since Demo 2, seems more fitting for the type of deaths and overall layout. 

Love the bugged out eye expression in the square when poor OOZY becomes splattered.   The mine cart ride is a blast and gives off a little bit of a Bagman meets Indy TOD vibe. 

I'm a bit sloppy and rushed, but the challenge still comes across as very well balanced.  The puzzles, action, and adventure are combined in such a great mix here.  My only gripe may be not having enough time, but I'm putting that on me for now, as I carelessly die way too often.

• Like 4

I've got to find the optimized routes in this game. I was able to make it far enough to get the key on level 3 but then ran out of time shortly thereafter. And that 2nd level boss still kicks my butt!!! 

Really liking the new graphical overhaul @vhzc! Although I have noticed some slowdown in some parts. But nothing that detracts from the game at all.

• Like 3

On 6/27/2022 at 3:45 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've got to find the optimized routes in this game. I was able to make it far enough to get the key on level 3 but then ran out of time shortly thereafter. And that 2nd level boss still kicks my butt!!! 

Really liking the new graphical overhaul @vhzc! Although I have noticed some slowdown in some parts. But nothing that detracts from the game at all.

Only the 2nd boss?

The game looks great, but is damn heavy. I only see a few rooms....This damn flash....i cannot beat.

4 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Only the 2nd boss?

The game looks great, but is damn heavy. I only see a few rooms....This damn flash....i cannot beat.

I've actually been able to beat demo 3 since I posted that. In fact, I found an issue with the game while playing that I've already discussed with @vhzc so he can get it corrected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Oozy the Goo - Gaiden on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

After Dark:

(WATCH IN 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1