IGNORED

Flash Cart recommendation?

@rocketmonkey101  Welcome to AtariAge.:)

Ya best starting point is to see the newbies and returning Atarians pinned topic thread at the top of the forum. There is a comparrison table that outlines the basics for the main devices. As you'll appreciate asking someone to list the attributes and pros and cons of all of them is a pretty tall order but hopefully you'll be able to glean what you want from that thread. Also use the search function on AtariAge as there are years of posted topics with lots of discussion and info in them.

There is also AVG cart which is very good and very popular.  Some carts allow for flashing of game libraries and single games, others have SDcard slots in them and some have the latter and can do a hell of a lot more. (AVG and SIDE3 for example).

I own SIDE3 and also AtariMaxflash carts. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

8 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@rocketmonkey101  Welcome to AtariAge.:)

Ya best starting point is to see the newbies and returning Atarians pinned topic thread at the top of the forum. There is a comparrison table that outlines the basics for the main devices. As you'll appreciate asking someone to list the attributes and pros and cons of all of them is a pretty tall order but hopefully you'll be able to glean what you want from that thread. Also use the search function on AtariAge as there are years of posted topics with lots of discussion and info in them.

There is also AVG cart which is very good and very popular.  Some carts allow for flashing of game libraries and single games, others have SDcard slots in them and some hae the latter and can do a hell of a lot more. (AVG and SIDE3 for example).

I own SIDE3 and also AtariMaxflash carts. 

Oops sorry my eyes must have glossed over that pinned topic.  I will check it out!

Bottom line... Everyone has a favorite.  Everyone is going to tell you their favorite is the best.

But the real question is how are you going to use it?  You just want a big cart full of games?  Something that will emulate a HD?  Planning to do development work (so you need a HD and potentially a language cart emulated too?)

Also, this question has been asked and answered (and fought over) about a million times before.  Searching for some of that might provide insight as well.

• Like 1

You also should mention the machine you'd be using it on.

For example... if all you wanted was something to load a lot of games onto, and you were going to be using it on a 1200xl, or a 400/800... that might influence the recommendation as some of the options require an unholy pact with the forces of darkness to fit in those machines.

Are all carts even available with all the parts shortages?  I thought I read the AVG cart is out of stock.  I recently emailed AtariMax about stock of their carts (want the Colecovision one) and have not heard back.

Fortunately I have my SIDE3 and love it.  And backups I have the FujiNET and SDrive2.

I'm curious about the BackBit Pro cart as well.  That works with XL/XE machines with the appropriate adapter.

• Like 2

It looks like most of the carts are out of stock due to shortages. I think I maybe found 1 at VCC that is available?  After looking around it seems like the AVG Cart is probably most up my alley. It seems to do the most things and well. I think between that and a FujiNet I should be able to do most anything I can think of. This will be used on a 600XL. I need to get on a waiting list somewhere I guess.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:07 PM, Tillek said:

Bottom line... Everyone has a favorite.  Everyone is going to tell you their favorite is the best.

I hardly think that's true!  I own a Side2, Side3, AVG Cart, Ultimate Cart, MyIDE II, MaxFlash, The!Cart, and SIC!, in addition to things like the OSS 5-in-1 carts, SIO devices such as various incarnations of SDrive, SIO2SD, or FujiNet, and PBI devices such as the Turbo Freezer, yet, I have no favorite and agree that it all depends on what someone needs and how it is to be used.

And now I'm beginning to think I may have a bit of a problem with compulsive buying.

• Like 1

I went through the same process about 6 months ago and ended up with the AVG cart though the Fujinet was a close second.  The AVG cart is just so darn easy - there is nothing I cant easily get up and running with the thing.  My only compliant is understanding the myriad of options and what combination of keys to hit in order to change images/options/etc.

The Fujinet has advanced quite a bit in the last 6 months - Im not sure what I would get today but dont regret the AVG cart at all.

My interest is to have an easy way to load images/carts/etc up and play and AVG does it with no hassle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The big problem at the moment is supply, people may end up having to alter their choice based on lack of stock. Looking at the choices of cart tell me that you won't be disappointed at whatever cart you get, I have a soft spot for the AVG and it's incredibly useful, but as long as the cart loads a majority of files (ATR's will always be iffy without something like the SIO lead for the AVG but XEX, cartridge stuff gets the job done) then they all work well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAC! said:

I've compiled comparison table of the different options here. What's the best option depends on how you plan to use it.

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart

Absolutely the truth and the way to go..

I favour the AVG as the Swiss Army knife of carts BUT if a simpler less featured cart will do what you need then think of that plan. 

Nice list JAC!

On 5/12/2022 at 7:51 AM, Goochman said:

I went through the same process about 6 months ago and ended up with the AVG cart though the Fujinet was a close second.

Im not sure what I would get today but dont regret the AVG cart at all.

Well, there is definitely overlap between these two devices. However, only one will allow you to run cartridge images. If you want to run CAR images, you'll need an AVG Cart or one of the other flash carts. SDrive-MAX and FujiNet can't run CAR images. Most cartridge titles are available as xex or other images these days though, so that may not be an issue for most users.

Edited by bfollowell