IGNORED

Best 1050 Upgrade

Larry

What is/was the "Best" 1050 upgrade?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is/was your favorite?

• Happy (including Clones that would run Happy software)
    • Super Archiver
    • MegaSpeedy
    • US Doubler
    • Speedy (all flavors -- mini, Super, regular, etc.)
    • Duplicator
    • Other (1050E, SuperMax, etc.)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

(USA, and I'm a "Floppy Junkie!") For me, Happy!  I had already used an 810 Happy, and also used the 810 Happy/Archiver software for "reluctant" titles.  Always was a fan of the track buffers! And for my money, Happy offered the greatest flexability.  My issue with the Super Archiver is that the different skew was required to use UltraSpeed. So that means that all my old disks would need to be reformatted.  Not appealing with hundreds of disks!  And once again, the Archiver conversion came to the rescue with the 1050 Happy/Archiver software which could then have the Super Archiver loaded.  My only regret about the 1050 Happy is that the Customizer was never released for the 1050.  Although I don't use floppies much anymore (mostly APE for me!), a 1050 Happy with the Controller is still my absolute favorite drive!

I was an Indus GT user, but after I got a 1050 with a US Doubler clone I found this to be a more useful and compatible drive.  Personally I never needed a drive to copy protected software.  I know the track buffering mode is also a bonus with more sophisticated solutions, but my vote is the US Doubler--it's a must have.  Cost effective and compatible with very little downside (is there a downside?).  Generally a simple install as well.

MegaSpeedy and BitWriter... You can't have just one!

Therefore I can not vote...

They need to have a baby and name it MegaBittySpeedy 1050 !!!!

heh silly time follows

SuperMegaBittySpeedy1050 !!!

oh wait they doing ultra these days... UltraMagaBittySpeedy 1050....   just to be trendy....

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, macsonny said:

Hands down the Mega Speedy enhancement. Allows you to select from ALL of the drive upgrades in a single unit although I do tend to default to the Happy 1050 configuration when using Mega Speedy ?

it does all but the bitwriter, Mega Speedy doesn't do that as it's very involved, hence my statement above ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__

I have a Happy (Atarimax) and an 810 Archiver / Chip and used to have a Happy clone (Lazer) but I'd love to have a Mega Speedy just to have 99% of the available mods in one drive.. The bit writer sounds fun, but apart from what Doc said, I have no clue about it..

My fave, Happy 1050 but if I ever get a Mega Speedy then that will be my fave..

Just read up on the Bit Writer, nice but overkill for me..

Edited by Mclaneinc