IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB stopped working

myriadcs

Hello Everyone

I have Atari130XE and U1MB installed ~3 years ago. It was working fine until today. After powering on Atari, I just got brown screen. I checked all connections and no joy.

Just to be sure all is ok with firmware, I've re-flashed with latest one (although before doing that i read current firmware and it was already up to date).

To rule out Atari issue, I disconnected U1MB, installed original MMU and ROM and.. it works. Reconnected U1MB, checked all cables, seems be ok but issue persists.

FPGA issue maybe?

20220511_190223.jpg

20220511_190212.jpg

Reprogram the FPGA and then the Flash...

double check sockets and ribbon cables...

I've seen enough scrambled FPGA/flash/as well as ribbon cable connection issues to last several lifetimes with these.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Also a simple test would be to feel the CPLD with power applied. If it's scorching hot, then the CPLD is no good. It's actually quite easy to destroy these if 5V accidentally gets connected to any of the I/O meant for external connection. However in your case this probably didn't happen, since it was working fine for several years. But maybe due to a bad ribbon cable connection, something still happened. Anyway feeling the CPLD is an easy check.

1565646542_U1MB_bottom(copy).thumb.png.795c7d5916687a0d18f3845d426c710c.png

Edited by mytek

Xilinx is not getting how so I guess it's working ok.

I think only last step left: programming CPLD but it will take me a it longer, need to prepare correct connectors.

I was able to easily program Flash under Linux, I hope it should also be possible to program Xilinx without resorting to Windows machine?

46 minutes ago, myriadcs said:

I hope it should also be possible to program Xilinx without resorting to Windows machine

It should be, since a Linux version of Impact is provided by Xilinx, but if you figure out how to install the cable drivers on a Linux machine and actually get a working toolchain, please let me know, since I tried and gave up at the driver stage a few weeks back. Ended up running Windows 7 in a VM.

The drivers were a bear for windows as well, my cable used the older data rate and the driver was buried on the official site. I had to install the ginormous beast a couple of times in order to have the correct driver with required newer software.

Make sure you have plenty of memory and hard drive space.

Edited by _The Doctor__