IGNORED

U.S. model Mega STE & Falcon just went up for auction!

These aren't my auctions, but I know others are looking and I'm not in a position to bid on either, so I thought I'd pass them along. It's pretty rare that we see auctions for U.S. model Mega STEs or Falcons, let alone both at the same time, but that's what I stumbled onto today. They're both from the same seller, so maybe it's a collector selling off part of their collection. Who knows? I just wanted those that might be interested to know.

Good luck!

Mega STE

Falcon

I would suggest people steer clear on this one.  I'm guessing these are in bad shape.  Most telling is the Falcon doesn't have any pictures of it "working"...

I'm thinking this bad photography is by design... his other auction photos aren't that bad.  And those big black patches in the picture of the Falcon's bottom are really suspicious.

Also looking at the feedback, one specific comment was that he packed and shipped a retro item poorly even after a request made to be packaged well.

I mean, if you like gambling, go for it, but I've been doing this awhile now and all the warning signs are there.

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

I would suggest people steer clear on this one.  I'm guessing these are in bad shape.  Most telling is the Falcon doesn't have any pictures of it "working"...

It does look to be in very bad condition and that's just on the outside, hard telling what lurks under the hood. The STe is listed and shown as functional but the Falcon just powers up? Definitely seems suspicious..

2 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

It does look to be in very bad condition and that's just on the outside, hard telling what lurks under the hood. The STe is listed and shown as functional but the Falcon just powers up? Definitely seems suspicious..

Well, define "functional"?  One of the clearest messages (the only actual screen shot, we don't even get a desktop!) from the Mega STE is that the floppy doesn't work, and he clearly shows he has an actual disk (and it's clearly a 720k, not a HD an ignorant person tried by accident), so... to me, that's a huge alarm!!!!!

• Like 1

I saw the Mega STE listing as well. I had sent a note to the seller asking if he can provide better photos since the photos on the auction are so terrible. His other auctions photos aren't great by any stretch, but they're better than this listing. I can't believe someone would post those photos intentionally and think, "good enough!" unless they are trying to hide the actual condition.

I doubt I'll get a response from the seller, but hey.. Worth a shot I guess.

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Just seen this on Ebay UK, never seen one of these before, didn't know they existed

Is that a reasonable price ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185271884741?hash=item2b23109bc5:g:Wr8AAOSwhCBh8mBd

Doesn't ship to U.S. (for me), missing front panel piece.... I don't think it's worth $3,200 but to someone else it may be. Though I gather it would have sold by now if that were true. Otherwise, it seems to be in really nice condition. Not showing pictures of the keyboard may be leading onto its lack of photo genetics to make an appearance in the listing though lol

1 hour ago, Clint Thompson said:

Doesn't ship to U.S. (for me), missing front panel piece.... I don't think it's worth $3,200 but to someone else it may be. Though I gather it would have sold by now if that were true. Otherwise, it seems to be in really nice condition. Not showing pictures of the keyboard may be leading onto its lack of photo genetics to make an appearance in the listing though lol

I think if it shipped to the US it would have sold by now.

Charging only $20 for shipping on the Falcon isn't enough.  It needs to be double-boxed and padded to ensure it isn't damaged in shipping.

I hope whoever wins the auction will insist of that kind of packing for the shipping.

As a side note, my backup Falcon which I bought 10 years ago had been stored in a garage or something and had dirt and debris in the back of the case and obviously had been sitting on its side where rain had been able to pool down in the back side of the it.

After a full teardown and complete cleaning it has run fine every since.  I never would have thought it when I got it.  But then again, it was around $500 so not near where this one is going.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Charging only $20 for shipping on the Falcon isn't enough.  It needs to be double-boxed and padded to ensure it isn't damaged in shipping.

I hope whoever wins the auction will insist of that kind of packing for the shipping.

As a side note, my backup Falcon which I bought 10 years ago had been stored in a garage or something and had dirt and debris in the back of the case and obviously had been sitting on its side where rain had been able to pool down in the back side of the it.

After a full teardown and complete cleaning it has run fine every since.  I never would have thought it when I got it.  But then again, it was around $500 so not near where this one is going.

Well, just to reference one of my comments above, one of the complaints against this guy was that he shipped out some retro stuff (didn't specify if it was computers) and they had requested extra care on the packaging.  He packed it poorly and it arrived broken.

So..... Yeah, no way I'd pay this guy Falcon $$$.

I just noticed that he cancelled the Mega STE auction and put up a new one with much better pictures, though still no pictures of it actually running, with an image on the screen. He just says everything turned on and powered right up. Well heck, technically, if you turned the power on and you saw an LED light up, that would be powering right up, but that doesn't really mean it's actually running properly, or at all.

3 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I just noticed that he cancelled the Mega STE auction and put up a new one with much better pictures, though still no pictures of it actually running, with an image on the screen. He just says everything turned on and powered right up. Well heck, technically, if you turned the power on and you saw an LED light up, that would be powering right up, but that doesn't really mean it's actually running properly, or at all.

Very curious/concerning is that he left out the picture where it was "running" but was showing a floppy error message.

Huge red flag for me.  That's outright deceitfulness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bfollowell said:

The Falcon auction now says currently sold out, so I'm not really sure what that means. There were at least ten bids on it the last time I checked on it, now it's just gone. Yeah, both of these auctions are really weird and suspicious.

Wonder if someone desperate offered him a ton for it... or if he got reported?

12 hours ago, bfollowell said:

The Falcon auction now says currently sold out, so I'm not really sure what that means. There were at least ten bids on it the last time I checked on it, now it's just gone. Yeah, both of these auctions are really weird and suspicious.

6 hours ago, Tillek said:

Wonder if someone desperate offered him a ton for it... or if he got reported?

Seems like an odd thing with eBay but you have to click it then it takes you to the final auction end... I can't believe someone would pay $1,650 for that mess.soldit.thumb.JPG.cd11d14986b5d4ba7fbab653a677148b.JPG