IGNORED

Need SIO And Power For Atari 810

Maybe, certainly wouldn't use it on a 1050, it's only about 1/2 the power requirements for it.

Might be ok for the 810, I would have thought an 810 would be rated at 15.3VA (same as 800 PSU) and this is 13.5 VA.

Maybe someone with an 810 PSU can tell you for definite what the rating off the label is.

2 hours ago, Panther said:

I believe the lowest output power supplies that came with 810 drives were 18 VA, so that will probably work fine.

According to the FAQs Atari later determined that the 810 required a minimum of 21W for reliable operation, and also eventually specified 19W for the 400/800.

9 VAC 15.3 VA 1.7 A Max:18.5W Power Adaptor Atari#CO14319(unit)/CA014748(box - indicates 9.5 VAC 1.7 A) 400,800,822,850,1200XL,1010,1020 NOTE: This was also original equipment for the 810 disk drive, but Atari later determined that the 810 required more power (21 W) for reliable operation. This power supply is not recommended for disk drives. NOTE also that this power supply is only barely adequate for the 400/800/1200XL computers: Atari eventually specified the power requirement for the 400/800 at 19 W.

I have a couple of C014319 which I will only use with an 850/1020, I blew the fuse in one that came with my 1980 8K 400 after it was upgraded with a Mosaic 64k "RAM-Select" board.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BillC said:

According to the FAQs Atari later determined that the 810 required a minimum of 21W for reliable operation, and also eventually specified 19W for the 400/800.

Hence my concern about the linked PSU, unfortunately the people who sell these things really have no idea

about electronics, they see 9V AC and determine it's ok for everything Atari. I wonder how long you could use

it before you start smelling melting plastic :)

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Power supply output is 13.5 VA?  Is that correct? Is this a switching PS or?

No, it's not a switching PSU, it's a simple step down transformer, all power regulation is done

inside the 810.  

See my previous posts, I don't think this thing will really do, I certainly wouldn't buy it

• Thanks 1

Best electronics sells the power supply for 800/1050/810 for $15 plus shipping.  These are NEW OEM power supplies. You need to spend $20 minimum

Also the 8bit classics adapter is available on Amazon for a cheaper price. Search for Jameco Reliapro ADU090150A2231

i use this with Atari 1050 and it works fine, has enough power.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrew@meler.us said:

Also the 8bit classics adapter is available on Amazon for a cheaper price. Search for Jameco Reliapro ADU090150A2231

i use this with Atari 1050 and it works fine, has enough power.  

A 1050 probably requires less power than an 810, I would go with something capable of a bit more current.

The supplied PSU isn't really a great indication of how much power something draws, but surprisingly, the 1050 does draw substantially more power than the 810, at least for average throughput.  I don't have the connectors I need to attach my meter, so I was simply using a power meter at the outlet while formatting a disk and the 1050 registered 35.5 watts average and the 810 used 26.5 watts.  This includes loss at the power supply itself, an Atari C017945 9VAC 31VA unit (120V 60Hz input).

I take it back, that 1050 had some serious problems.  I was able to put my meter in-line and measure maximum current and came up with these results while formatting, this time with a 1050 in better condition:

810: 0.706 amp

1050: 0.674 amp

Servicing drives that have been sitting around for decades and came from unknown sources is a good idea!  That 1050 was full of dirt (not just dust) and one of the big capacitors is blown, yet it continued to try very hard to work!  The drives I tested with my meter have both been serviced and are in good working order, and are both stock.

The bad 1050 was drawing more than 1.8 amps.

Edited by Panther
  • Like 1

Oh and one last post. The Drive powers on and is spinning, so that is a good sign. I have not yet hooked it up to mu 130xe because I do not have any floppies to test it with. I assume I can transfer disk images to a floppy drive with todays technology.

Well anyway, thanks again everyone for you help. It was appreciated and there was a good dicussion on the topic.

1 hour ago, Paul Hocker said:

Oh and one last post. The Drive powers on and is spinning, so that is a good sign. I have not yet hooked it up to mu 130xe because I do not have any floppies to test it with. I assume I can transfer disk images to a floppy drive with todays technology.

Well anyway, thanks again everyone for you help. It was appreciated and there was a good dicussion on the topic.

If you have any type of drive emulator(SIO2PC/SDRIVE/SIO2SD/etc.) you can use sector copy software to duplicate an ATR to a blank floppy, the mounted ATR has to have a different ID# than the drive, the 810 drive is also only capable of single density.