IGNORED

TI Toad Label Recreation.

dhe

I purchased a copy of TI Toad from the bay.

The seller was perfectly honest, the cartridge had lost it's label in the past.

The quality of labels and their adhesives seem to have varied greatly amongst vendors.

Does anyone have a photo of a TI Toad label?

What's your go to for making labels?

ie.. is there an Avery stock that works particularly well?

A particular type of printer?

• Like 1

for TI TOAD I have found a pair of kind of labels and I do not know the history of them:

this one for the top/front (I do not like so much this kind of labels)
image.thumb.png.8ee0a823ae0bdc099528fbc8e7857a8d.png

and this classic ones front labels (I prefer them)

image.png.fa2be259fd87282b45df2f5e74fe50d4.png

I should have the original one and I can work on the label if needed to print.

as the printer, I am not an expert and with my laser printer at home I only create the test labels. Then I prefer to print them using a plotter in a professional printer service.

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 3

The bottom one is the early version of the DBT label, Ciro. The top one is what they went to later on. Those later ones really had issues sticking to the cartridge, so Dan's was probably one of those (but the early version would still be a better choice).

• Like 4

Ciro - what stock do you have the plotter print upon?

Do you use a photo to start with or re-do the whole graphic?

FWIW - The top label looks as if it might have been printed from one of the TI's package - maybe PagePro?

That only rings a bell, because in the 90's - many TI User Group newsletters where produced with PagePro and the selection of font's - while different looking - don't do so well with scan to text software (at all).

• Like 1

the professional printer service that I use for print the label using the glossy adesive paper and the print is an Hires inkjet.

example of a WIP plotter printer for the Super Astrosmash stickers:

image.thumb.png.d5ecce4ef9d3b514774c87ec89872d30.png

I already created lot of labels so I just take an image of one I already created and works on it in photoshop.
The easier ones are the classic black style to create. For new styles of labels I need to re-do the whole graphic every time.

Photoshop also really help to restoring a good scan from the original labels. The hard part could be to find the right fonts but internet bynow really help in doing this.

about Pagepro it is possible that in origin it was created with it, anyway In all the ones I have it appears like a bad photocopied label ?

41 minutes ago, dhe said:

That only rings a bell, because in the 90's - many TI User Group newsletters where produced with PagePro and the selection of font's - while different looking - don't do so well with scan to text software (at all).

I absolutely agree, it is sad also in the case of the actual newsletter created by @sparkdrummer , Yesterday News, could be nice to have a recognized search text for it but very hard with that font.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tony mentioned stickeryou.com.

Anyone have current experience with what options to choose?

Tony did mention the correct size was:

3.62 x 0.56"

image.png

This is a sticker, kiss cut, it acted like I could change the size, but didn't! ?

I have never used an online service, but be sure to consider the cut lines in the corners.

maybe you could need one with a white background for that kiss cut service because I really doubt for their precision in the cut.

TITOAD_Databiotics_Label_v1_WhiteBG.png

Edited by ti99iuc

On Sticker You, I use them all the time. You can make your graphic grow--and it is stronly advisable that the blank parts of the graphic extend beyond the black line. You make the graphic change size by clicking on it and pulling on the lower right corner until the things you want to print fill the green cut lined area. Doing it this way keeps the graphic in proportion, and then you can move it around to center it as needed.

Ciro's last, solid white label is actually perfect here, as it lets you center the text and ignore everything else.

On 5/12/2022 at 6:01 PM, dhe said:

I purchased a copy of TI Toad from the bay.

The seller was perfectly honest, the cartridge had lost it's label in the past.

The quality of labels and their adhesives seem to have varied greatly amongst vendors.

Does anyone have a photo of a TI Toad label?

What's your go to for making labels?

ie.. is there an Avery stock that works particularly well?

A particular type of printer?

If you have the manual, DBT carts usually used the same font on their labels and manuals.

My Micro Tennis came in a beige cart with a full square fold-over label that looked generated by a dot-matrix printer. I managed to open the cart without destroying the label, and created a more standard spine label for a replacement black cart to match the rest of my DBT collection (I'm anal that way).

I did keep the original cart and label though, so I didn't worry about authenticity on my label. If I ever sell it, I'll swap it back into the original cart.

Strangely, my Space Patrol came with a black label with white text. The only other variation I've seen from DBT's black text on white, was Junkman Junior's red on white, so I've always wondered if my Space Patrol's label is the original. (My Micro Pinball II has a Micro Pinball label, so not sure is that's a replacement or a misprint like Protector.)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PeBo said:

If you have the manual, DBT carts usually used the same font on their labels and manuals.

My Micro Tennis came in a beige cart with a full square fold-over label that looked generated by a dot-matrix printer. I managed to open the cart without destroying the label, and created a more standard spine label for a replacement black cart to match the rest of my DBT collection (I'm anal that way).

I did keep the original cart and label though, so I didn't worry about authenticity on my label. If I ever sell it, I'll swap it back into the original cart.

Strangely, my Space Patrol came with a black label with white text. The only other variation I've seen from DBT's black text on white, was Junkman Junior's red on white, so I've always wondered if my Space Patrol's label is the original. (My Micro Pinball II has a Micro Pinball label, so not sure is that's a replacement or a misprint like Protector.)

Good to see you around, old friend!  

I was going to say that with my collection, once it gets into my hands it very seldom leaves.  ?Life sentence!

3 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Good to see you around, old friend!  

I was going to say that with my collection, once it gets into my hands it very seldom leaves.  ?Life sentence!

Same here, but I'm sure the family members that survive me will do whatever is necessary to maximize profits from my estate. So maybe I kept the original cart/label for them.

And thank you sir...was inevitable that I would visit, now that I am living the good life (retirement)

(I have a tipi/sams I need to learn how to use, and a PEB who's fan is in desperate need of replacing (although it does provide a realistic propellor sound effects when playing Spad XIII))

atariage continues to be the best source for such things. (and certainly more reliable than my geriatric brain)

• Like 2