IGNORED

Jaguar Price Charting Website

JaggingUK

I found this website the other day and was fascinated by it

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/jaguar

It gives the prices for every Jaguar game sold on ebay over the past few years and make an amazing read if you pick out games at random and look at their sales chart for loose carts up to new/sealed - it gives you a chart for a decade worth of sales which I found to be a really interesting read (yes I am that boring before anyone says it!!)

But in all honesty I spent over an hour looking at the data for the games and found it fascinating to look at how some games have become popular. The telegames titles are hard to assess as the newer Limited Edition ones can still be bought cheap so the Telegames titles can be a bit hard to work out but there's loads of stuff to read - an original factory sealed Air Cars selling for $1100 this year - the full sales chart for Battlesphere and what they've sold for.

The one I really found interesting was 'Attack of the Mutant Penguins' and why has that become so popular as about 5 years ago every time I bought a game from Peter at Telegames I'd get him to pop in an extra cheap game to my order as postage was little different so would often just add another 'Attack of the Mutant Penguins' to my order because it was £15 - it was the cheapest game he sold except for Baldies on CD so I'd often just add a copy of that to my order - hence why I have six sealed copies of that game in my collection... So why is that game now (according to all the sales data) so popular when that game was for years the cheapest and least desirable game that Telegames sold... I can see Doom, Wolfenstein, Raiden, Defender 2000 and Missile Command 2000 all selling well and values rising especially for new boxed copies of them but why is Attack of the Mutant Penguins in there with them in terms of price when it was always the lowest priced game you could buy (lower then even Chequered Flag)

If people have nothing better to do I'd love them to go take a look at the website and see what interests them in terms of games they have or have bought and just see what other people think - you can click on loose games, boxed games, new games and will give you list of prices sold for and if you click on the graph on where it says loose new etc it will add extra to the graph as I think the graph is preset for loose.

I understand the prices for Atari Karts, AVP - I see why people want Doom, Wolfenstein, Raiden, Defender 2000 and Missile Command 2000, but why Attack of the Mutant Penguins?

Just be interesting to hear what people take from the website and its numerous charts - Chequered Flag seems as unpopular as ever!!!

Edited by JaggingUK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JaggingUK said:

but why Attack of the Mutant Penguins?

BlasPHEMMMMMYYYYYY. Bro (or Sis), that game is funking epic. Mini-games between levels. And I'm sorry. Are there a lot of games with frying pans, aliens, ....

Seriously, it is a fun game. It's in a genre the system is lacking in. Some people, myself included, love strategy games. It was quirky, to say the least. And the boxart was "kinda cool" too. One day, maybe 20 years from now, someone is going to quote my reply about Attack of the Mutant Penguinsm and tell you, "It IS Awesome."

• Like 1

Pricecharting.com is well known in collectors circles.  It's a useful tool as long as you understand that it's automated and therefore has some inaccuracies.  If you look at the auctions that make up the aggregate price, you'll usually find a few that don't belong, but were included anyway.  It's better used as an easy way to look up auction data for an item you're interested in.  Never take a price listed on an item's page as gospel.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JaggingUK said:

why is Attack of the Mutant Penguins in there with them in terms of price when it was always the lowest priced game you could buy

It was a very late release and probably had a very low print run. Even if it was Supercross 3D bad it would still be expensive based on rarity alone.

1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

Never take a price listed on an item's page as gospel.

I wish my local game store understood this. They simply look at Pricecharting, round up to the next multiple of 10, and then add another 10% or so because they are "retail."

• Like 1

Attack of the Mutant Penguins is almost Jag exclusive (it had a super budget PC release) and it’s very fun and very unique. It also embodies the Jaguar’s off kilter sensibilities. I think it makes perfect sense that it would be sought after.

Spending buckets of money for NBA Jam or Rayman, games that have competitive if not better ports on other systems- that’s a little harder to understand.

• Like 1

Yeah I've seen that website before. Have a Video Game Price Charting app on my phone too. Got that from Google Play store. Yeah some of the prices are wild. I didn't know the Godzilla game for the PS4 was so expensive until I looked it up. Found out it had a low print run which is why it's so much. Game got panned for being boring but I'm a kaiju fan, so good or bad had to have it.