IGNORED

Dumb crap in video games

Sometimes I used to wonder if there is some story reason why Samus doesn't have all of her equipment at the start of Super Metroid. There's no reason that she shouldn't, other than that there wouldn't be much of a game if she did.

There is also the thing in Sonic 2 where Eggman can run at the same speed as Sonic.

Mario also doesn't drown in any 2D games as far as I am aware. Great job, Mario. That's not how you are supposed to teach kids proper water safety. Sonic does it right; when he stays underwater for too long, some crazy music plays and then he dies, just like in real life! Remember, kids: if you hear drowning music when you are swimming, GET OUT OF THE WATER BEFORE YOU DIE! You can get back in the moment you exit the water and the music stops, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Mario also doesn't drown in any 2D games as far as I am aware. Great job, Mario. That's not how you are supposed to teach kids proper water safety. Sonic does it right; when he stays underwater for too long, some crazy music plays and then he dies, just like in real life! Remember, kids: if you hear drowning music when you are swimming, GET OUT OF THE WATER BEFORE YOU DIE! You can get back in the moment you exit the water and the music stops, though.

I'm not sure that teaching kids to find bubbles at the bottom of the ocean to get air is a good thing, though. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/15/2022 at 11:03 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

Unskipable cutscenes

Poor controller button layouts with no configuration option

I was just gonna say 'unskippable cutscenes'!   Yunalesca boss fight from FFX: I'M LOOKING AT YOU

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm not sure that teaching kids to find bubbles at the bottom of the ocean to get air is a good thing, though. ;)

Good thing Sonic (3, with optional Knuckles) teaches them to equip their bubble shield before going in the water!

BTW in case anyone doesn't know, there is absolutely no water in Sonic & Knuckles at all.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Battle hardened ninja runs up to a little stream, instead of clearing it with a aerial somersault he must tip toe on the little pebbles like a little girl,

and god forbid his toe touches the water.... instant death  ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I don’t get the comment either. Mario has swum in every game.

I didn't necessarily mean Mario -- I was trying to list a bunch of common game elements, oddly contrasted by instant death when many characters touch water.

• Like 3

In just about every Souls game, (but not Elden Ring) when you talk to NPCs they always chuckle at the end of what they say, even when it doesn't seem appropriate

"Oh hello mate!  Bwahahahaha" 

"Would you like to buy some pyromancies?  heh heh heh"

That's fine sometimes, but it happened in almost every interaction in some of those games and got kind of ridiculous.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, pacman000 said:

Poor steering. Doesn’t matter if it’s a bike that oversteers, like in Crash 3’s racing levels, or a dragon that understeers, like in Lair or Dragon Rage. Poor steering ruins otherwise fun levels or games.

I would fight it if someone tried to steer me... XD

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Even if the description fits Mario (except the "run across fire with the proper shoes" afaik), I don't think he was specifically talking about him.

I'm currently playing Deathloop and the water instantly kills you too, which is very strange but the game takes place on an island and I think they didn't want players to use the surrounding sea to avoid confrontation.

It was almost too specific, I just figured. But you're right, it's probably a generic "this character can perform crazy feats but the littlest thing hurts them."

Kinda makes sense, everyone has a weakness. Water as a death trap never really made sense to me in these games. Like in Adventure Island.

Not a big deal for me though because it's all abstract anyway.

• Like 3

You're kicking the absolute crap out of a boss, and near the end of the fight, the cutscene takes over where they insult you, imply they "have no more time to waste on you" and leave, so you'll have to fight them later.  I'm always like... "c'mon game, we got this!  Let me kick the shit out of 'em now!"

Related --- those boss battles where they insist on rattling on about how powerful they are, but have to call in a bunch of cronies to help during the fight.

• Like 3

Played EvoCreo, a Pokemon clone for mobile devices. Was ok, but if you stock up on healing items you can win most battles easily, & healing items aren’t expensive either.

And if you don’t stock up on healing items, it’s easy to tell who’ll win. Are you dealing more damage than your opponent? Congratulations! Finishing the fight is merely a formality.

These two factors rob the game of suspense, cheapening the experience. And I’m now afraid that’d happen with any turn-based battle system; it’s been awhile since I’ve played another RPG.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:51 PM, Razzie.P said:

12 members in my party, but only 3 can fight at a time.

This!  So much this!  I mean I understand why (technical limitations and game balancing), but at least come up with a plausible reason for it in-game.  What does the rest of your party do while you're in battle?  Sit on the sidelines and watch you get your ass kicked?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tempest said:

This!  So much this!  I mean I understand why (technical limitations and game balancing), but at least come up with a plausible reason for it in-game.  What does the rest of your party do while you're in battle?  Sit on the sidelines and watch you get your ass kicked?

Final Fantasy IV had 5 member parties (and everyone was in at the same time), but all RPGs afterwards went down to 4 or even 3. By the PS1 era, that should have been obsolete.

Then again, PS1 was the last era when I still played RPGs. After Ogre Battle 64, I found the format itself dated. They all felt so small afterward.

• Like 1

Tomb Raider the first pool.

You may run out of air if you are too slow or don't know exactly where to go but fret not, take a medpack and it’s like a breath of fresh air, literally … and yes you can do all that while still underwater.

Also communicating and pretty much infinite capacity chests like resident evil. Can I just dive into one of those and use the secret tunnels myself?

More resident evil … when attacked just open a door … that’ll teach ‘em dumb zombies.

And then the crates in many games … who stacks them up or spread them around?

Random recharge of weapons … there’s a freaking artillery out there if you don’t believe me just wander around.

Ridge racer revolution, start the slide in the corner then immediately turn the opposite way … if you do it right you will steer left for example but have the car make a 270 on the right … because.

If I could hurl fireballs at the yodeling of hadouken and I happen to be involved in any fight be reassured there would be quite the pile of charred bodies  … it’ll look like the 4th of July just with real fire and a Swiss kind of vibe.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1