IGNORED

New game in box : Norseman

tanuki

3 hours ago, Steve Jones said:

Hey Tanuki, just a comment and please take no offense but it is sort of a tradition that Intellivision games have overlays regardless of how useful they actually are in the game. I personally would give up trading cards, sheet music, posters etc etc etc in lieu of having overlays. All these extras are cool but not at the expense of skipping overlays.

Just my opinion.

I guess you just proved it never hurts to ask.  

• Like 3

But what if the game doesn't use the keypad at all? While the convention is to use Enter to start games, some of the modern homebrews might just listen to the fire buttons and never include keypad input. In that case, the overlay only becomes a decoration that you may choose to insert and eventually damage, or keep intact in the box just like a trading card but in a dimension that would fit the controller.

• Like 1

Even so, a CIB game is usually a cartridge, a manual, a box and 2 overlays. When games were released without overlays  people eventually made them, like Roger’s Orphan overlays.

It’s just part of the Intellivision experience, which differentiates it from most other systems, whether people use them or just have them as part of the collection.

My point was if Cote could add all those other collectable extras (realistically who is going to use the sheet music?) that they should include overlays.
And it seems like they are going to now, which I for one appreciate.

• Like 3

The sheet music was entirely my idea, so I take the blame for that. ? I thought maybe someone would want to give it a shoot to play it, since opposed to many other game musics, it is an original piece and not too complex with arpeggios and effects that would be hard to replicate.

But yes, I see what you mean with the fact that overlays always should be part of a CIB Intellivision game, regardless or not if one has use of them or not.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, tanuki said:

hum, In fact we wanted to include them but the usefulness being weak we changed our mind ^^.

EDIT : we'll include overlays ;)

Excellent news! We Inty nerds do love our overlays even if 95% of them never get used. Just part of the intellivision experience as Steve mentioned. ??

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tanuki said:

hum, In fact we wanted to include them but the usefulness being weak we changed our mind ^^.

EDIT : we'll include overlays ;)

Thanks so much.

I agree with everyone else that commented regarding the overlays. It just feels incomplete without them.

Are we all nuts or what?

Lol..

• Like 3

10 hours ago, carlsson said:

The sheet music was entirely my idea, so I take the blame for that. ? I thought maybe someone would want to give it a shoot to play it, since opposed to many other game musics, it is an original piece and not too complex with arpeggios and effects that would be hard to replicate.

But yes, I see what you mean with the fact that overlays always should be part of a CIB Intellivision game, regardless or not if one has use of them or not.

We still like this idea. At Côté Gamers the preservation of information has always been important and since our beginnings we have been committed to keeping it in written form (the most durable in our opinion).
That's why we produce making-of or encyclopedic files. It's not only about making beautiful editions or offering bonuses ;) The score is totally in line with this approach.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was just chilling...Looking at the posts on the side there...Wishing it was Status Updates ...Then

I saw the word overlay.

And I rushed over here thinking it might be a Vectrex game!

Or at least ColecoVision.

Nope!

But it looks cool anyways...

The overlay looks neat too...

(Some day I'm gonna get me an Intellivision...)

• Haha 2