IGNORED

Atari VCS specific job opening

davpa

Persistent rumors that the VCS is dead or is a cash grab is, and always has been, false. It is fair to say the VCS is not the number 1 priority of Atari, it has been making games. Over the course of the year we have seen the release of 5 Recharged titles (I don’t count Missile Command Recharged as that was made a few years ago for touch screen platforms), a new IP (Kombinera), and with more games in the pipeline like Food Fight and other Recharged titles coming out soon. I’ve had a glimps of a few thing being worked on (sorry, NDA keeps me from hints or spoils) and there are some fun things coming down the line. Atari is focusing on where they need to focus: making games. Atari has made an internal comment to release an Atari title every month for 2022.  Hopefully development on the games don’t hit roadblocks so they can keep to that goal. So far, so good.

Ok, so while I said that the VCS might not be the #1 priority, it is still a very important element in Atari’s plans. One aspect they are wishing to do is be a better platform for independent studios and developers. This job posting is a focus on that to help develop those relationships and to refine the VCS to make it an easier platform to develop on. I have just started as part of that VCS Liaison team, but I lack that coding and technical background to really help in that development process, so people are being sought out to fill those needs.  That growth will continue to happen in the foreseeable future.

So take a look at that post and submit a resume if you meet the requirements. This is a chance to help develop Atari and the VCS in ways I think a lot of us would like to see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, davpa said:

I’ve had a glimpse of a few thing being worked on (sorry, NDA keeps me from hints or spoils) and there are some fun things coming down the line.

So, when does the NDA expire? ? 

18 hours ago, davpa said:

Ok, so while I said that the VCS might not be the #1 priority, it is still a very important element in Atari’s plans. One aspect they are wishing to do is be a better platform for independent studios and developers. This job posting is a focus on that to help develop those relationships and to refine the VCS to make it an easier platform to develop on. I have just started as part of that VCS Liaison team, but I lack that coding and technical background to really help in that development process, so people are being sought out to fill those needs.  That growth will continue to happen in the foreseeable future.

Good to hear.   Many indie games get lost in the shuffle on Steam or the console stores.   Putting them on VCS can give them a bit of a spotlight.   I never would have heard of games like Darkside Detective or Sydney Hunter otherwise.

• Like 2

There's a part of me that thinks 2022 will be the last full year of support by Atari for the VCS; they'll keep it going through the 50th and then essentially be forced to shut things down unless business picks up (or unless I am simply wrong and they are in fact making enough money to keep things going.) However, if they are planning to ramp up external support by actually hiring someone, maybe that is a sign they plan to keep it around longer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mockduck said:

There's a part of me that thinks 2022 will be the last full year of support by Atari for the VCS; they'll keep it going through the 50th and then essentially be forced to shut things down unless business picks up (or unless I am simply wrong and they are in fact making enough money to keep things going.) However, if they are planning to ramp up external support by actually hiring someone, maybe that is a sign they plan to keep it around longer.

I would expect it to go much longer than you say since I don't think it costs too much to make the indie style games Atari is making and I think there is more profit than one might think in multiplatform sales.

They are releasing the games on VCS, Playstation, Xbox & Nintendo as far as I know so I don't know why they would stop making games anytime soon as long as they are turning profits on the game development which I believe they are.

As long as they are making games, there is no reason to abandon the VCS since they already have a dedicated niche community who buys games on the VCS.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, E. King said:

I would expect it to go much longer than you say since I don't think it costs too much to make the indie style games Atari is making and I think there is more profit than one might think in multiplatform sales.

They are releasing the games on VCS, Playstation, Xbox & Nintendo as far as I know so I don't know why they would stop making games anytime soon as long as they are turning profits on the game development which I believe they are.

As long as they are making games, there is no reason to abandon the VCS since they already have a dedicated niche community who buys games on the VCS.

I have wondered this same thing. With the VCS a digital only console, how much of an added cost is it to atari to port over games that they would also be releasing on other consoles (vs constructing dedicated physical media)? Is it worth the trouble if the VCS install base is a small dedicated group of fans? Open question, as I don't claim to know enough about the business.

Now construction of new consoles, that's a different beast entirely. Suppose they someday work through their backlog, I could see new manufacturing being a bigger hurdle to overcome.

What they are doing to support the VCS is not enough for a long term plan to stay viable.    As a day one backer, I have to say that so far this year, the VCS has not done much to change peoples minds that its a fringe option for many.   The best thing Atari  did was was to release the recharged series on everything.  The problem with the VCS is marketing and identity.    The reality is that the VCS is barely hanging in there and only die hard supporters are backing it.   Total software sales are very low.   People are going to spin what they are doing with the VCS as a positive.   Nearly 18 months with the console I can safely say that it will be lucky if this stays on the market after two years in it current form.   I have been saying this for a long time now.  Here is what needs to improve.  

1.   Do a better job at scheduling releases ahead of time(Evercade VS does a good job at this by the way), getting people excited about what's to come.   Offer more exclusives that people care about.  

2.   The whole MicroProse backlog is not exciting to their user base.   Take a survey and offer those more popular titles and ones from your legacy consoles/computers.  

3.  Offering standalone VCS games that are included in a free Atari Vault is baffling.  

The nicest thing I can say about the the VCS is that it indeed exists.   The realist in me knows that this might be as good as it gets.   I honestly hope that the VCS can be around a lot longer, but unless they change course, I don't see that happening.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Atari really needs to release the VCS here in the UK and other territories to see a jump in software sales also. I think the VCS would thrive here in the UK if it was available to purchase as it still goes for crazy money on Ebay here and sellers have no problem shifting units. I’ve been trying to pick up a 2nd system for a while now and a few of my friends want one but there selling for £500-550 for the backer collector editions on eBay when they show up and the Onxy I was bidding for last week sold for over £400! I think Atari could turn it around for the VCS but they need to get it outside the states and as said try to get more games and a few exclusives, promote the device more etc. I honestly hope it stays around it’s my favourite device now to be honestly due to the functionality of it but worst case if Atari drop it soon I’ll just use it in PC mode, I’m glad it’s not dependent on the Atari OS to function. I’ve currently picked up a Sinden light gun for my VCS and House Of The Dead 2 so no problems here if they drop it I’ll continue to enjoy it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I think Atari really needs to release the VCS here in the UK and other territories to see a jump in software sales also. I think the VCS would thrive here in the UK if it was available to purchase as it still goes for crazy money on Ebay here and sellers have no problem shifting units. I’ve been trying to pick up a 2nd system for a while now and a few of my friends want one but there selling for £500-550 for the backer collector editions on eBay when they show up and the Onxy I was bidding for last week sold for over £400! I think Atari could turn it around for the VCS but they need to get it outside the states and as said try to get more games and a few exclusives, promote the device more etc. I honestly hope it stays around it’s my favourite device now to be honestly due to the functionality of it but worst case if Atari drop it soon I’ll just use it in PC mode, I’m glad it’s not dependent on the Atari OS to function. I’ve currently picked up a Sinden light gun for my VCS and House Of The Dead 2 so no problems here if they drop it I’ll continue to enjoy it. 

I agree getting to Europe seems the best way to sell some consoles, I hear from people in Europe on Discord and the forums almost every day. It must be a huge pain in the butt to deal with regulations, licensing, safety certificating, etc or you'd think they would have done it by now. Wonder if it is Brexit-related in the UK.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2022 at 2:20 AM, swlovinist said:

What they are doing to support the VCS is not enough for a long term plan to stay viable.    As a day one backer, I have to say that so far this year, the VCS has not done much to change peoples minds that its a fringe option for many.   The best thing Atari  did was was to release the recharged series on everything.  The problem with the VCS is marketing and identity.    The reality is that the VCS is barely hanging in there and only die hard supporters are backing it.   Total software sales are very low.   People are going to spin what they are doing with the VCS as a positive.   Nearly 18 months with the console I can safely say that it will be lucky if this stays on the market after two years in it current form.   I have been saying this for a long time now.  Here is what needs to improve.  

1.   Do a better job at scheduling releases ahead of time(Evercade VS does a good job at this by the way), getting people excited about what's to come.   Offer more exclusives that people care about.  

2.   The whole MicroProse backlog is not exciting to their user base.   Take a survey and offer those more popular titles and ones from your legacy consoles/computers.  

3.  Offering standalone VCS games that are included in a free Atari Vault is baffling.  

The nicest thing I can say about the the VCS is that it indeed exists.   The realist in me knows that this might be as good as it gets.   I honestly hope that the VCS can be around a lot longer, but unless they change course, I don't see that happening.   

I personally think it's about time ATARI stopped making vault packs', so that I can choose the games that I'll actually play and enjoy, as opposed to many I will never play.

This may allow ATARI to bring licensed games (such as Commando 7800) to the platform.

Adding dev tools' (modern and retro) to the VCS doesn't seem like something short-term.

It'll be around for a while.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:37 PM, Mockduck said:

I agree getting to Europe seems the best way to sell some consoles, I hear from people in Europe on Discord and the forums almost every day. It must be a huge pain in the butt to deal with regulations, licensing, safety certificating, etc or you'd think they would have done it by now. Wonder if it is Brexit-related in the UK.

It really isn't all as difficult as Atari seem to make out with their stock replies.  It just seems to me very odd that Atari being a French company omits it's own domestic market (European single market/EFTA region/UK) completely.  Stranger too that they focus solely on one country for retail, the same country that had an Atari video game 'crash' and pretty much had turned it's back on Atari when they thrived in Europe.  I know that was then and this is now, but cashing in on 'legacy' is a big part of the modern Atari business, there are lot of old Atari users, gamers, hackers etc here in the UK and Europe who would have been happy to buy a new Atari computer.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:17 PM, THX-1138 said:

It really isn't all as difficult as Atari seem to make out with their stock replies.  It just seems to me very odd that Atari being a French company omits it's own domestic market (European single market/EFTA region/UK) completely.  

I wonder if there are any official licensing, certification, or testing requirements that are preventing the sale of the system in Europe. 

I know nothing about selling consumer electronics, but I understand that there are some regulatory hurdles that must be overcome before something can be offered for sale. 

Here in Canada, for example, many American companies find the bilingual packaging requirements sufficiently onerous that they just do not sell their product(s) here. (Yes, even English-language RPG games technically require a French-language printed game manual!)  Are there any similar requirements in Europe?

On 5/17/2022 at 9:20 PM, swlovinist said:

That right there is the hitting the nail on the head.

Well said sir!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:37 PM, jhd said:

I wonder if there are any official licensing, certification, or testing requirements that are preventing the sale of the system in Europe. 

I know nothing about selling consumer electronics, but I understand that there are some regulatory hurdles that must be overcome before something can be offered for sale. 

Here in Canada, for example, many American companies find the bilingual packaging requirements sufficiently onerous that they just do not sell their product(s) here. (Yes, even English-language RPG games technically require a French-language printed game manual!)  Are there any similar requirements in Europe?

Nothing major.  There is the CE certification and the UK has a corresponding one since Brexit.  It covers things like the power supply for example, that is already met AFAIK because they are made in China and the tend to meet requirements anyway.  I'm in the UK and the PSU that came with mine obviously works fine with 240VAC otherwise I'd have been blasted like a Saturn V rocket off to the moon.. many moons ago.

Alas I think it's simply stalling.  Logistics they say, ye gods!  They can sell them via Amazon and they take care of the logistics like shipping, warehousing, sales, delivery.   Someone mentioned the Evercade on this thread, now that is a tiny UK company and yet they developed, manufactured a handheld console and licenced a stack of IP and got it to retail globally, both online and in bricks and mortar shops.  Since the VCS was released, they've done more IP deals, grown a fanbase and also created a second handheld and developed a home console, those are selling all over.  Another example is Retro Games Ltd. brought out a mini C64, listened to customers, brought out a full size C64, then a VIC-20 and now a mini Amiga.

Meanwhile Atari are still tackling logistical problems!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Nothing major.  There is the CE certification and the UK has a corresponding one since Brexit.  It covers things like the power supply for example, that is already met AFAIK because they are made in China and the tend to meet requirements anyway.  I'm in the UK and the PSU that came with mine obviously works fine with 240VAC otherwise I'd have been blasted like a Saturn V rocket off to the moon.. many moons ago.

Alas I think it's simply stalling.  Logistics they say, ye gods!  They can sell them via Amazon and they take care of the logistics like shipping, warehousing, sales, delivery.   Someone mentioned the Evercade on this thread, now that is a tiny UK company and yet they developed, manufactured a handheld console and licenced a stack of IP and got it to retail globally, both online and in bricks and mortar shops.  Since the VCS was released, they've done more IP deals, grown a fanbase and also created a second handheld and developed a home console, those are selling all over.  Another example is Retro Games Ltd. brought out a mini C64, listened to customers, brought out a full size C64, then a VIC-20 and now a mini Amiga.

I don't follow Evercade, but if they start making exclusive games, along w/a more powerful console in the future, they could slowly become a major player in the slow and steady method of growing a business.  Its users seem to very very enthusiastic about it as a product.

Looking at some docs about it, there's several dozen certifications, tests, etc. that need to be done for the EU, then you'd need to deal with a similar set for each individual country you are selling in if applicable. Presumably thanks to Brexit the UK is a whole different thing. 

https://www.compliancegate.com/electronic-product-regulations-european-union/
https://www.integrasources.com/blog/guide-consumer-electronics-certification-us-eu-requirements-consider-mass-production/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

RGL and Blaze are able to bring their mini-consoles to markets around the world because they both did deals with a much larger company in the shape of Koch Media, who already have that global presence and deep enough pockets for the upfront funding.

Atari presumably intended to do something similar, but didn't manage to find a partner outside of the one who brought it to Australia. I'd guess that the relatively high retail price and thin margins would have been somewhat offputting.

• Like 1