IGNORED

Best license-based games

NewKidCo was one of those publishers existing in a rather brief moment in time specifically to publish license-based games. Most of them don't seem anything special, though a few did standout to me, particular their Hello Kitty game which took the approach of being puzzle-oriented.

SYBcKYp.jpg

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 1:27 AM, electricmastro said:

NewKidCo was one of those publishers existing in a rather brief moment in time specifically to publish license-based games. Most of them don't seem anything special, though a few did standout to me, particular their Hello Kitty game which took the approach of being puzzle-oriented.

They published Muppet Pinball Mayhem, one of the best pinball games on a system flush with good pinball games.

• Like 2

So, I might be crazy, since this seems to be a really polarizing one, and I might need a 2nd opinion, but tonight I tripped over Muppet RaceMania, and I think it is bordering on fantastic.  

It's a licenced kart racer by traveller's tales, published by midway, with more depth and variety than it deserves, and an overall 'vibe' that's very much it's own thing. Just about everything about this grabbed me right from the start, so it blows me away to see multiple press outlet scores in the 5/10 range. Gamefan gets 3 takes and gave it 50, 54, and 84--quite the polarizer. Modern youtube seems similarly split.

I think a lot of Muppet RaceMania's design decisions were (surprisingly) made at the cost of initial approachability, and I can't recall another kart racer built like that. There is an obvious amount of depth, and a high skill ceiling that would take me a while to find.  Honestly, a 3rd place finish took me a while to find too. I guess it's time for me to git gud...

somebody's random footage:

On 6/13/2022 at 5:39 AM, jgkspsx said:

They published Muppet Pinball Mayhem, one of the best pinball games on a system flush with good pinball games.

What an odd coincidence to see that here.  I may have to give that one a proper revisit.  I'm sure I played it BITD, but with all the other gba pinballs it probably got lost in the shuffle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That Muppet racing game reminds me I loved Looney Tunes: Space Race on the Dreamcast. It may not be the best Mario Kart-like game but it's quite decent. But most of all it has Yosemite Sam and his mustache flutters (not sure about the right word); it's adorable. ?

I don't know if the guns make him 'problematic', but Sam is often overlooked compared to the other toons. ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

That Muppet racing game reminds me I loved Looney Tunes: Space Race on the Dreamcast. It may not be the best Mario Kart-like game but it's quite decent. But most of all it has Yosemite Sam and his mustache flutters (not sure about the right word); it's adorable. ?

I don't know if the guns make him 'problematic', but Sam is often overlooked compared to the other toons. ?

Oh,  It's the right word!   (Or at least we all know exactly what you mean)...

Is English your first language?   Because,  if French is your first language,  you speak English better than many native speakers!   Of course I just said French based on France as a location, but you could live there and be from anywhere...Could speak Dutch, German, or Flemish for all I know :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Is English your first language?   Because,  if French is your first language,  you speak English better than many native speakers!

No, French is my first language, but you're not the first to say that. ☺️

That being said, typing these posts can take quite some time looking for words, but I've had a lot of 'training' these past few years thanks to AtariAge and Discord.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

+1 That was a great game, and one I completely forgot about.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Reaperman said:

It's a licenced kart racer by traveller's tales, published by midway, with more depth and variety than it deserves, and an overall 'vibe' that's very much it's own thing.

quite the polarizer.

I think a lot of Muppet RaceMania's design decisions were (surprisingly) made at the cost of initial approachability,

There is an obvious amount of depth, and a high skill ceiling that would take me a while to find. 

Sounds like Travellers’ Tales alright! Added to my list.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Reaperman said:

So, I might be crazy, since this seems to be a really polarizing one, and I might need a 2nd opinion, but tonight I tripped over Muppet RaceMania, and I think it is bordering on fantastic.  

It's a licenced kart racer by traveller's tales, published by midway, with more depth and variety than it deserves, and an overall 'vibe' that's very much it's own thing. Just about everything about this grabbed me right from the start, so it blows me away to see multiple press outlet scores in the 5/10 range. Gamefan gets 3 takes and gave it 50, 54, and 84--quite the polarizer. Modern youtube seems similarly split.

I think a lot of Muppet RaceMania's design decisions were (surprisingly) made at the cost of initial approachability, and I can't recall another kart racer built like that. There is an obvious amount of depth, and a high skill ceiling that would take me a while to find.  Honestly, a 3rd place finish took me a while to find too. I guess it's time for me to git gud...

somebody's random footage:

What an odd coincidence to see that here.  I may have to give that one a proper revisit.  I'm sure I played it BITD, but with all the other gba pinballs it probably got lost in the shuffle.

I recall there was also Muppet Monster Adventure which was a pretty good platformer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Yeah, surprisingly quite a few well done licensed racers for the time.

image.thumb.jpeg.7209bce07cc0aa6adae626f66844d057.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I'm surprised nobody has said Die Hard Trilogy for the PS1.

I put a lot of hours into that one.

Is it a 10/10? No. But it was a real bang for the buck for three 6 or 7 out 10 games for one price.

If anyone is a fan of light gun games, the second chapter of the game (Die Hard 2) is high on my list.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, H454 said:

Wow, I'm surprised nobody has said Die Hard Trilogy for the PS1.

I put a lot of hours into that one.

Is it a 10/10? No. But it was a real bang for the buck for three 6 or 7 out 10 games for one price.

If anyone is a fan of light gun games, the second chapter of the game (Die Hard 2) is high on my list.

A favorite of mine too! I think my favorite mode is Die Hard. Spent a lot of time with that when I was a kid.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...