IGNORED

Worst NES game you got for Christmas or your birthday

Largely I'd argue when I got presents my parents I guess listened and I didn't have bad taste, so it came down to other relatives and I largely lucked out.  The former teacher refused to ever buy 'fun' stuff but one year did and just then, Gradius, shocked...your favorite I know. ;)  My uncle got me TMNT and Fester's Quest, some would argue they're both terrible, or at least terribly challenging.  I don't hate them, hated how nasty they were until I figured it out though.  The dam on TMNT with that electo-seaweed and Fester's just being kind of evil hard if you run into to trying to play with any speed like it's some run n' gun is like near instant death.  I had to figure that out in both places to not hate either of them.

Hm.. Probably Dr. Mario or Donkey Kong 3. Got both for Christmas one year by surprise. They weren't bad games, just not really what I was looking for at the time. Black box games in particular (like DK3) were pretty dated by the early '90s when I received it. I still played them a lot, because, well, that's what you did back then, but if I had a choice I would have gotten different games. Ironically, I enjoy both a lot more now.

Funny enough, my parents were pretty good about not getting me bad games. They probably talked store clerks ears off back then looking for recommendations, haha. That or "good" games were always around the corner. Thanks to Nintendo Power I generally had a pretty good idea of what I wanted by the time Christmas or my birthday hit.

Suspect many of us here are going to be a little too old to have received NES games as gifts BITD, so in the spirit of Frozone's post, may I share a memory about a different system?  ?

Super Challenge Football for the Atari VCS... was given to me as a gift from a cousin of the same age one Christmas. Was awesome receiving an Atari game, but football? ugh   Clearly he didn't know me that well or was projecting and assumed I'd like it because, well... football. haha  Was grateful for the gift and gesture of course, and still have it to this day. Can probably count on one hand how many times I tried playing the damn thing with my brother though, who also doesn't care for the sport. We and most of my friends were into baseball actually (playing for real and virtual), and played the hell out of Super Challenge Baseball as well as the version for Intellivision BITD.

Had SC Football had a single player option, would have gotten a little more play time for sure, but... pfft. Same is true of their Baseball game for that matter. An absolute crime they're 2-player only. ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, Frozone212 said:

Granted I wasn't alive back then but I want to hear some of your horror stories from childhood.

I got Superman 64 on christmas and hated it but that's too far forward.

anyone?

Baahaahaaaaa! My dad was a huge fan of Superman (having been a kid in the '50s), and for my brother's birthday he got my brother Supreman 64.

I have never seen someone's enthusiasm deflate so quickly or so hard, as the day my brother popped that cart into his Nintendo 64.

I still chide him about it to this day.

• Haha 1

If this ever happened, it was usually my fault.  I asked for something with the wrong expectations - they bought it for me, and I didn't like it.

I do remember one year; I went snooping for presents, and I found that my Mom had bought me a game because the catalog I was shopping from ran out of the game I wanted.  These were C64 games, and I believe the game I wanted was Superstar Soccer, and I got Street Sports Soccer.  I remember my mom calling me a little sh!+ for snooping and then complaining to her before my birthday (or maybe it was Christmas).  She was right. I was a little sh!+.

Bandai's Dragon Power was probably the worst.

Though, I did pick it up and force myself to play it that summer. 

I made progress on it, and sort of understood the mechanics, but it was still a wretched game.  Very similar to a lot of the earlier NES releases from 3rd parties.  
The NES isn't as great as retro nerds make it out to be.  Many of the games are empty and hollow experiences with glitches and game breaking issues.

I know this isn't exactly what you mean, but I can't really remember getting bad video games as gifts. BUT my grandparents were super religious and gifted our family a Christian inspired video game produced by Wisdom Tree one year. I was sooooo disappointed to receive it, but when I stared to play, it was amazing. The game is called Spiritual Warfare, and to this day is my absolute favorite game.

Edited by Dopy25
  • Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 7:53 AM, Leonard Smith said:

Bandai's Dragon Power was probably the worst.

Though, I did pick it up and force myself to play it that summer. 

I made progress on it, and sort of understood the mechanics, but it was still a wretched game.  Very similar to a lot of the earlier NES releases from 3rd parties.  
The NES isn't as great as retro nerds make it out to be.  Many of the games are empty and hollow experiences with glitches and game breaking issues.

Thank you! finally someone says it

hooray GIF

On 6/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, Leonard Smith said:

Yep.  But ya know, that probably applies to any platform (old and new) that has more than a couple dozen titles on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 7:53 PM, Razzie.P said:

Yep.  But ya know, that probably applies to any platform (old and new) that has more than a couple dozen titles on it.

On 6/26/2022 at 2:46 AM, roots.genoa said:

Indeed. Every successful system (2600, NES, PlayStation 1&2, Wii, DS, etc.) gets a lot of games, so a lot of shovelware too.

Yep, this is pretty much a guarantee for any platform that is popular on the market, especially the ones that are the most popular. Companies see them as money printing machines and crap out whatever they can to cash in. It just comes with the territory. Always has and always will.

• Like 2

For Christmas,   I was in the dorms at University of WY in 1989...

The RAs called all of the parents evidently  and told them to send gifts....So when we had our 6th Floor Christmas Party, we all had unexpected Christmas Presents!   Yay!   I'm guessing my parents just went off the list I had given them so I got Faxanadu and Dragon Warrior.   (WOO HOOO!)

Hmmm  the "Worst" of those  Amazing,  Stellar,  Awesome, and Perfect Games?  Gun to my head,  I guess I loved Dragon Warrior a tiny bit less than Faxanadu...

• 6 months later...

This isn't a bad game, nor was it my birthday but a fun memory nonetheless.

Don't know how it is in other countries but here usually the celebration for a name day constitutes a "happy name day" greeting, a card perhaps, sometimes a small gift maybe.

So it was my name day back in '91 or somesuch and my dad gives 8-year-old me a wrapped present in a familiarly shaped box. Holy moly, this must be a new NES game, I immediately thought. And it was:

Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf.

"Umm, ok" was my first thought as golf wasn't exactly in the top 10 of hot things on my list. Don't get me wrong, it turned out to be a pretty fun game once past the learning curve.

It's just that whenever me and my brother were not using the NES, there was my dad, playing that golf game 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Wayler said:

Don't know how it is in other countries but here usually the celebration for a name day constitutes a "happy name day" greeting, a card perhaps, sometimes a small gift maybe.

When I was a kid I would celebrate my birthday with my friends on my name day (which is today ironically), since my real birthday is in August and everyone was on vacation. 😅

• Like 1

It’s all how you frame it, he wants to know the best bad games. People love talking about ET and PAC-man for 2600 or watching Mystery Theatre 3000.

Chandler: Okay, hear me out. Okay? You give the best bad massages. If anybody was looking for the best bad massage and they were thinking to themselves, “Who’s the best of that?” They’d have to go to you.

Monica: Huh. So you’re saying like umm, if there was an award for the best bad massage, well who would get that?

Chandler: Oh, it would be you! You! Monica! And you’d get all the votes!