IGNORED

Drawing Triangles process

This could potentially be something we can catch in rmac while assembling the code and issue a warning. Of course I'm not sure that this won't also give false positives: for example it's not easy to predict how many cycles a "load" can take so it's unclear how many instructions after the load the scoreboarding bug is not applicable.

Nevertheless, is this something that people would find beneficial or confusing?

21 minutes ago, ggn said:

This could potentially be something we can catch in rmac while assembling the code and issue a warning. Of course I'm not sure that this won't also give false positives: for example it's not easy to predict how many cycles a "load" can take so it's unclear how many instructions after the load the scoreboarding bug is not applicable.

Nevertheless, is this something that people would find beneficial or confusing?

The problem is, rmac needs to know if it is a load from within the GPU or from outside.

Matthias sent me jwarn which (after a quick look) offers such warnings.

5 hours ago, 42bs said:

Yes, but only if placed directly after the load.

does it mean that "or y2,y2" in that case will not prevent score-boarding bug?

load	(points_ptr),y2
	jr	nz,.not_last
	addq	#4,points_ptr

or	y2,y2

movefa	xy0.a,y2	; get back first point

22 hours ago, 42bs said:

The problem is, rmac needs to know if it is a load from within the GPU or from outside.

Matthias sent me jwarn which (after a quick look) offers such warnings.

This? https://github.com/djipi/Jwarn

From a quick glance this doesn't seem too bad to implement inside rmac so people won't need a post processor (or pre processor) to scan the file for issues. I've added an issue for this in the rmac bug tracker - it's lucky ticket #200!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ggn said:

From a quick glance this doesn't seem too bad to implement inside rmac so people won't need a post processor (or pre processor) to scan the file for issues. I've added an issue for this in the rmac bug tracker - it's lucky ticket #200!

Please give it an on/off toggle :)

Wouldn't want RMAC to start slipping the way of SMAC!

2 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Please give it an on/off toggle :)

Wouldn't want RMAC to start slipping the way of SMAC!

Yeah yeah, don't worry about it. I know the score, 30+ year old tool, 30+ year old codebases. This will probably go under -s or something similar.

This will be a while until it's implemented because there's loads of unmerged code lurking in the issue tracker and I just don't want to pile MOAR in there. Also: features get added in order of maintainers' preference :)

And with that: apologies for the diversion, please continue talking about triangles!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cyprian said:

nice tool, I didn't know about it

Due to the rmac one pass assembly, Jwarn may not be very useful because it needs complete opcodes from output listing assembly.

A discussion about the subject http://jlhconsulting.gotdns.com/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=192

Only gasm and vasm output listing can be used with Jwarn at the moment.

41 minutes ago, JagChris said:

SMAC started life as a dual pass assembler. It's a shame that's all been lost now. Or maybe today rmac or SMAC would be able to use things like this. 

As a non coder you have no idea how annoying SMAC was altering your code and causing sections to not work because it thought it knew better, wasting literally hours of your time.  We're all better off without its crap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1