IGNORED

Ghosts'n'Goblins clone (proof-of-concept)

PeteE

Here's what I've been obsessed with of late.  Having recently watched a playthrough of Ghosts'n'Goblins on NES, I thought it could be reproduced on the 9918A using chunky scrolling combined with another idea for mixing hardware and software sprites.  I wanted the software sprites to allow transparent parts to allow the background colors to show through. 

I was also very inspired by what @thegeps has been doing with Turrican on MSX, with chunky scrolling in Graphics Mode II, and keeping the character sprite stationary while scrolling once every 6 frames feels not too jarring.  As well as doing the player weapons using background tiles to avoid/reduce sprites-per-line flicker.

The white and black colors are handled with hardware single-color sprites, and the software sprites display the face, beard and belt.  The software sprites are also compiled sprites - the background pattern and colors are loaded into a memory buffer, then the WP is pointed to a starting y-offset in each buffer.  Using the WP allows me to modify the background using LI ANDI ORI instructions on only the registers that change.  The main advantage of compiled sprites is that the transparent areas (non-modified lines in a tile) don't require any changes - the fastest code is no code. The colors for the tiles are drawn in Magellan so that the dominant color is always the background color, and the software sprite can replace the foreground color.  While this does have some unintended colors fringing as the software sprite moves around, a better solution might be to encode the left-dominant color as foreground and right-dominant color as background, but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet.

The map is incomplete and will have garbage after the first water crossing.  Use joystick 1 to move around and explore.

This is as far as I'm going to take it for now.  Will come back after other projects are finished.

spooks0c.bin

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Wow! 

I have to say this is something I wasn't expecting and it sounds like a great start!
I really hope you can carry it on, it's one of the games I envied those who had the c64 ? I also love the music of that version even more than the arcade original.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

This looks amazing @PeteE. I just hope this is not a sign that you have given up on The Legend Of Tilda and decided to move on to a new project.

Not at all, this was an idea that got stuck in my head, but now that it's proven, I can refocus my efforts back to Tilda.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

Sounds pretty good to me lol, i guess not everyone is a fan of it though.

Fortunately, the C64 has "Ghosts 'n Goblins Arcade" to correct the long-standing error of the Cooksey GnG theme used in the game, though arguably not much better in the first level.  The arcade music appears in the second level.  It does keep the original release theme as the game title screen, which is the way it should have been done in the first place, IMNSHO.

1 hour ago, PeteE said:

Are you sure?  The C64 version music sounds like a speech synth trying to beatbox... creepily

:D

• Like 3

For me the original c64 Ghost'n'Goblins theme and also the one of Commando (and Rasmus already converted for play on TI99) are two of the best C64 musics ever done :D 

I also have them in the MP3 USB Pendrive to listen in my car during travels ? ahaha 
Oh yes I also have the Out Run ones and lot of other in the music themes collection folder ;)

Edited by ti99iuc

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I did these a while back.  You will need Rasmus' SoundListRipper to load and play them.  I can post the audio later if desired.  I never got around to other levels.

That's great!  May I use those soundlist files for future work on the game?  Do you plan to finish the other levels?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeteE said:

That's great!  May I use those soundlist files for future work on the game?  Do you plan to finish the other levels?

Thanks.  Yes, for all.  I can send you the updates to check out and see what I can do for the other levels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2