IGNORED

What's your favorite A8 Text based adventure game and why?

Nermal

I first played Pyramid Of Doom and loved it (Bloody Nomad), and couldn't wait to get a floppy DD so I could play Infocom games.

Ended up with a Rana Systems 1000 and Zork I (which was fantastic),   and Castle Wolfenstein (lots of jump scares) 

My favorite though is Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. (took me ages to understand the use of '"The thing your Aunt gave you that you don't know what it is").

I never finished it on my own :)

Pyramid of Doom was the first text adventure I owned as well (IIRC, on cassette).  I couldn't get my parents interested in the computer back then, but my mother did play that text adventure a couple of times and she liked it too.  I've been meaning to try my hand at it again, but never seem to get to it ?

• Like 1

Infocom's "The Witness" (1983) was the first one that I experienced which wasn't fantasy based, and so it seemed a bit more realistic. The first one I ever played was Scott Adams's Ghost Town. Then I tried the Zork ones. I didn't get to play Deadline before Witness. I actually recall thinking that Witness is richer in detail and possibilities than Deadline.

For its time, The Witness was very sophisticated in that I could try different methods at the same time points (restarting/reloading).

Hitchhiker's Guide is my favorite for introducing me to the franchise. I was not aware of the books before I found the game, and I then read the entire (at the time four)-book trilogy. Mostly Harmless came later.

I also really got into Planetfall, which was the first text adventure I finished on my own.

• Like 3

Infocom Stationfall.  After playing through the Zorks, I played through Planetfall and enjoyed its comedy scifi theme.  The Stellar Patrol was a fun transition from adventuring in The Great Underground Empire.  I was in the middle of another Infocom title (wish I could remember which one) when I learned that Stationfall, the sequel to Planetfall would soon be released.  I started telephoning local stores, as we did in those days, to ask if Stationfall for Atari was in stock.  I could have ordered it from a mail order catalog like Tevex, but wanted to do cash and carry so I waited.  I really miss in-person browsing for physical boxed game media.  Going from want, to setting aside cash, to finally seeing and buying a software title was part of the fun.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy benefits from Douglas Adams actually having written new material for the game.

H2G2 has 6 radio series, 5 books, 2 records, 1 stage play, 1 TV series, and sadly only 1 movie. And 2 Radio Scripts books, and a towel. The Infocom game benefits from including a microscopic space fleet and Peril Sensitive Sunglasses. ?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, adam242 said:

Hitchhiker's Guide is my favorite for introducing me to the franchise. I was not aware of the books before I found the game, and I then read the entire (at the time four)-book trilogy. Mostly Harmless came later.

I also really got into Planetfall, which was the first text adventure I finished on my own.

This really is a chicken and the egg question for me. Which came first, the book or the game? I knew about the books from the BBC's TV adaptation. I think I probably played the game first as I didn't get into books probably until around 1988?

12 hours ago, adam242 said:

I first read the books and then played the game. It was awesome, I loved it! I will have to play it again...

• Like 1

I'm not much of a text adventure player, but as I started out with a ZX81, you got plenty of them. On the Atari I did have a short time playing the Infocom games, the writing was so good you didn't need graphics, the pictures you saw in your head were amazing because of the very immersive writing.

Play the odd Scott Adams, but that was about it....Can't name a top game, as I liked all the Infocoms.

• Like 1

Hitchhikers Guide for me as well.   Not sure if I finished it, but I got pretty far in it.   As to why..   I read the writeup and interview with Doug Adams in Electronic Games magazine.  Then I found the book in the school library,  started to read it but had to stop or I would have burst out laughing in the library and gotten funny looks.    Bought the game soon after.

I also enjoyed Enchanter and Zork as those were among my first text adventures.   But after that,  I had a few others but I was having less and less desire to play these games let alone finish them.   Guess it wasn't the genre for me.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Probably Moonmist as it was the only one I ever completed. Although I remember spending quite a bit of time with Dallas Quest as well.

I remembering bits of Dallas Quest, you had to keep giving the monkey tobacco didn't you lol.

I remember playing one called "Gruds in Space",   that was a weird one!

Edited by Nermal

Definitely Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. First text game I played,

and I loved the books as well. Okay, except for the 5th book. I act

like, pretend like, the 5th book never happened. Like Aliens 3 or

Young Guns 2...  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Definitely Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. First text game I played,

and I loved the books as well. Okay, except for the 5th book. I act

like, pretend like, the 5th book never happened. Like Aliens 3 or

Young Guns 2...  :)

Yes, book 5 was a bit dark.... But then I read book 6 "And Another Thing..." which was good fun and brightened it up a bit.

Alien 3 yep 100% with you there. :)

Aliens spend 50% of the movie rescuing Newt, Alien 3 Newt = Dead before movie even starts. 

I do love the bit where "Queen takes Bishop" in Aliens all time fave.

Yup, as far as I'm concerned Alien finished with Aliens (top film)... I so wanted the Pulse rifle Forbidden Planet had, £300 back then but it was amazing to look at. And you can't beat the "Get away from her you bitch", badass to the bone scene

Can't say HHGTTG did a lot for me..I know it probably makes me a heathen, but horses for courses and all that.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

This really is a chicken and the egg question for me. Which came first, the book or the game? I knew about the books from the BBC's TV adaptation. I think I probably played the game first as I didn't get into books probably until around 1988?

The HHGTTG book was published in 79,  the game in 84

6 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yup, as far as I'm concerned Alien finished with Aliens (top film)... I so wanted the Pulse rifle Forbidden Planet had, £300 back then but it was amazing to look at. And you can't beat the "Get away from her you bitch", badass to the bone scene

Can't say HHGTTG did a lot for me..I know it probably makes me a heathen, but horses for courses and all that.

I'm the same. I like my adventures to make some sense. Then again, there was a lot in Dallas Quest that didn't but the puzzles made kind of sense. I've since seen the solution to HHGTTG and I was left thinking "how the hell did anyone finish that??"

The most frustrating adventure of them all, though, has to be Snowball. Could never get very far because virtually all the locations were the same.