IGNORED

What's your favorite A8 Text based adventure game and why?

Nermal

Deadline, witness, moonmist.  Gotta love INFOCOM.  

Unfortunately, I never liked zork.  I played em, still have 1-3 on floppy, but I never play em.  Heck, the remake of zork (graphical) for the PC was so bad it wasn't funny.  Strangely enough, I liked the Krondor series.  

Was never allowed to play lgop and found out why many years later, lol.  Parents kept me (especially me) on a tight leash when it came to gaming.  Sure, not as many things out there then than now, but enough was out there to pique my interest.  

Hhgtg was a great game.  Behold the mighty goldfish!  Just don't forget the towel, yes?  Incredibly handy towels, yessss.  

I played the game first and read the book second.   

1 hour ago, Baskar said:

Deadline, witness, moonmist.  Gotta love INFOCOM.  

Unfortunately, I never liked zork.  I played em, still have 1-3 on floppy, but I never play em.  Heck, the remake of zork (graphical) for the PC was so bad it wasn't funny.  Strangely enough, I liked the Krondor series.  

Was never allowed to play lgop and found out why many years later, lol.  Parents kept me (especially me) on a tight leash when it came to gaming.  Sure, not as many things out there then than now, but enough was out there to pique my interest.  

Hhgtg was a great game.  Behold the mighty goldfish!  Just don't forget the towel, yes?  Incredibly handy towels, yessss.  

I played the game first and read the book second.   

I have Betrayal at Krondor for PC in my CD shelf.  Was Krondor on Atari?  

P.S.  Don't forget to carve your name on the memorial for the bugblatter beast to read.

There was one other game I wasn't allowed to play...though I honestly can't remember the name of it.  It was a graphical text adventure.  Definitely not a game for children, lol.  

Funny, I haven't even thought of that elusive game in yeeeears. 

I would have to say Infidel, by Infocom, though I love anything from Infocom or Scott Adams. The main reason I'd say Infidel, followed closely by Pyramid of Doom, is because it was an old pyramid-based text adventure that I can't even recall the name of, that I played on a TRS-80 Model I in my school's computer lab in about 1982 that hooked me and got me into computers in the first place. Heck, it may've even been Pyramid of Doom, but I don't believe it was. I believe the one I just barely recall was written in BASIC.

So, I love all Infocom and Scott Adams pretty much equally, but Infidel and Pyramid of Doom hold the high spots for nostalgic reasons.

2 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Isn't that text only, Leisure Suit Larry on the ST was graphical though.

I mentioned it purely because the thread is about text based adventures, although I did initially read it as text only...doh..

Never played the game as I was 17+ and out there chasing and sampling the real ladies :)

5 hours ago, Baskar said:

There was one other game I wasn't allowed to play...though I honestly can't remember the name of it.  It was a graphical text adventure.  Definitely not a game for children, lol.  

Funny, I haven't even thought of that elusive game in yeeeears. 

The Leisure Suit Larry games?

I tried to play later versions of Larry on the PC, but I just could not get in to them, seemed totally aimed at US life, we do have the pub slease types but the way the bar is used just seems different to across the pond. Saying that, I've not been to a pub in more than 30 years.

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I've not been to a pub in more than 30 years.

Whaatttt?!

My brother-in-law is from Royston. When we visited him there, before he and my sister moved to Virginia twenty years ago, we went to the pub every Sunday for Sunday roast. How in the world do you eat on Sunday if you don't go the pub?! He made it sound like it was a national thing that every single person in England did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Whaatttt?!

My brother-in-law is from Royston. When we visited him there, before he and my sister moved to Virginia twenty years ago, we went to the pub every Sunday for Sunday roast. How in the world do you eat on Sunday if you don't go the pub?! He made it sound like it was a national thing that every single person in England did.

The pub lunch is a very English thing (well, that's how I see it) and I'm actually from Northern Ireland originally, the Irish tend to me more about getting hammered.  Also, my old man was a terrible alcoholic, having seen as a kid what that was doing to him put me off drinking, apart from drinking beer and whiskey as a kid at a party I didn't actually drink anything till I was around 22. These days it just a glass of wine here and there. Last time was at a pub was when I was in a pool team (and actually a decent player), the smoking and the drunks put me right off (very tough area).

As for roasts, my mother-in-law always gets me a beef or lamb joint for my birthday, the cost has made it a bit of a treat these days, but it's my birthday at the end of June so looking forward to my treat. Lamb last year, beef this time, and my wife is an excellent cook...Yummmmmmmmmm. But yeah, it is a very English thing and many do have pub Sunday lunch, although the pandemic has lowered the numbers a little.

• Like 1

Check this out: https://www.beerguild.co.uk/news/revealed-britains-pub-capitals-takes-top-spot/

I live just outside my home city of Brighton and Hove in South East England. We currently hold 4th place in the UK at 10 pubs per square mile. At the last offical count (not my own count personally:D), Brighton had 340 pubs in 2021. The maritime port city Portmouth holds the current record at 12 pubs per square mile.

Ahh you can't beat a rustic ol wooden pub selling craft ale (non o that lager stuff for me thank you very much!). Although damn a pint is expensive down here!

Without doubt the Pub that made the most impact on me was actually in New Zealand on the Hobbiton set in the North Island, (Matamata),  in 2014 when I visited. The Green Dragon pub. Stunning craftmanship and joinery - and the ales ain't too bad either!!

I am a huge Hobbit and LOTR fan - as anyone who has seen my homemade Hobbit house styled workshop will tell ya.

Green Dragon - New Zealand: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g676237-d12127251-Reviews-The_Green_Dragon_Inn-Matamata_Waikato_Region_North_Island.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=334971194

image.thumb.png.37ffdf60c35fa5c50c92104249a9bae2.png

Wow - really taking this topic thread off the rails here heh heh!:D

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

No, wasn't lsl.  Though when we got the Amiga parents made it abundantly clear that game was off the table.  Same for rex nebular when it came out.   Not that I coulda gotten away with it though.  Computers were in the laundry room, no privacy.  Mom walks in for one reason or another and looks over my shoulder...dad behind me pit-pattering and listening to the game sounds. Then telling me to turn the volume down, lol.   And since mom and dad's bedroom was nearby and mom always slept on a hair trigger...yeah, no.  LoL

Chained to the bed?  You're joking right?  Sometimes people ask this when they find out I grew up in a strict upbringing...sometimes they say it in jest.  At this point, I can't tell.

But no.  Did have an early bed time though.  That never changed, even when I was a teenager.  Though when I hit 16 the time did increase by an hour.  

2 hours ago, Baskar said:

Chained to the bed?  You're joking right?  Sometimes people ask this when they find out I grew up in a strict upbringing...sometimes they say it in jest.

In my experience, one usually has to pay to be chained to the bed :)  In what way, I won't say.

• 2 weeks later...