IGNORED

Consoles you REFUSE to collect

Wow that's a shame about Flight Sim, I lost interest too when I found out how it was handled, but also that it was like a console design first setup which is backwards to what it had been since the 1980s.  On a related note a couple months ago I found the last version for DOS (5.0) on CD new locally for a few bucks that thrilled me to no end as it was such an amazing game and still in ways holds up now too.  You could take it light or get super all on pilot skills level hard with it which was fantastic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Game & Watch games are much better than all PlayStation 5 exclusives 

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

those exist?

Yep.  Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was the reason suckers like me had to fork over some $$$.   And that + Astro's Playroom were the (1st) reasons those same suckers go... "this thing is pretty awesome..."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Yep.  Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was the reason suckers like me had to fork over some $$$.   And that + Astro's Playroom were the (1st) reasons those same suckers go... "this thing is pretty awesome..."

So... there are only 2 of them after the thing's been on the market for like a year and a half? SuperGrafx has more exclusives than that, lol

• Like 1

Personally, I am only interested in collecting systems that I can reasonably expect to find games for. I also limit myself to in-person shopping -- I refuse to use EBay or any other online auction sites.

Consequently, my collection is limited to an Atari 2600, an original PlayStation, and a PS 2. I have had no difficulty building substantial collections for all three systems. 

In contrast, over the years, I have passed on purchasing an Odyessy 2, a Vectrex, and a ColecoVision because I knew that it would be difficult or impossible to find additional cartridges for these systems. I am also reluctant to purchase older hardware as I have neither the skills nor the tools to repair something non-working. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

So... there are only 2 of them after the thing's been on the market for like a year and a half? SuperGrafx has more exclusives than that, lol

Nope, those are just the only 2 that I mentioned.   I think it's up to 6 or so, which is about equal to the SuperGrafx's entire library, and that things been about for 30+ years.  ?  And from what I hear, they're both about equally as hard to find these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

Nope, those are just the only 2 that I mentioned.   I think it's up to 6 or so, which is about equal to the SuperGrafx's entire library, and that things been about for 30+ years.  ?  And from what I hear, they're both about equally as hard to find these days.

Not going to lie, Gran Turismo 7 had me almost buying one for that, but I bought a 360 entirely for Forza 4, and in hindsight that wasn't the smartest purchase. Also GT7 doesn't directly support my wheel (G25), which perhaps greatly increases the barrier to entry here. No way I'm buying another $300 wheel, and buying the 'wheel adapter' feels wrong on principle.

I haven't bought the last two xbox/playstation generations since they're just lower-tier AMD PCs with a bunch of weird console hangups and I already have a not-so-bad AMD PC that's a lot more useful and less annoying to use. with my use case I started spending most of my modern-console time staring at console/game update bars and 'well I guess I'll get to play it tomorrow' (which mostly never happened)

So I guess we can add ps4/ps5/xbone/xbtwo to my non-collection list. I'll probably eventually pick them up at the thrift store, but by that point I'll *have* to mod them vs collect them if I want to have any fun. Nobody wants to be stuck with the version of the game they stamped on the disc...

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

32X should still beat the PS5, in that case. Either way, when your library is compared to the libraries of the 32X and/or SuperGrafx, you know something is terribly and irredeemably wrong.

PS5 is way easier to find than the SuperGrafx is, though. I found a PS5 at a store just down the street from my house just 4 hours ago, and there are at least 2 of them in Surugaya in Akiba. Meanwhile, I've seen exactly 3 SuperGrafx consoles in the past 3 years, one of which is the one that I bought. There was one in BEEP a few months ago and another in Trader. Pretty sure the Trader one is gone. BEEP's might still be there.

If you want to talk about systems that are actually, truly rare, BEEP had a Linguaphone Education Gear in the last time I was there.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

So I guess we can add ps4/ps5/xbone/xbtwo to the list. I'll probably eventually pick them up at the thrift store, but by that point I'll *have* to mod them vs collect them if I want to have any fun. Nobody wants to be stuck with the version of the game they stamped on the disc...

Yeah, that's pretty much my reasoning.  I'll still play a lot of games on them, I'm sure, but no point in collecting since the physical copies aren't complete anymore.

18 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

32X should still beat the PS5, in that case. Either way, when your library is compared to the libraries of the 32X and/or SuperGrafx, you know something is terribly and irredeemably wrong.

Eh, last I checked, PS5 library was over 450 titles already (not counting the 3000+ backwards compatible games), so it's doing ok and will only get more robust.  Some are amazing and some are stinkers, of course.  But comparing its library to 32x and/or SuperGrafx as a way to illustrate something's wrong is really just the fault of people like you and me being silly.   

39 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

PS5 is way easier to find than the SuperGrafx is, though. I found a PS5 at a store just down the street from my house just 4 hours ago, and there are at least 2 of them in Surugaya in Akiba. Meanwhile, I've seen exactly 3 SuperGrafx consoles in the past 3 years, one of which is the one that I bought. There was one in BEEP a few months ago and another in Trader. Pretty sure the Trader one is gone. BEEP's might still be there.

If you want to talk about systems that are actually, truly rare, BEEP had a Linguaphone Education Gear in the last time I was there.

All that beeping makes me think you're censoring yourself.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, jhd said:

Personally, I am only interested in collecting systems that I can reasonably expect to find games for. I also limit myself to in-person shopping -- I refuse to use EBay or any other online auction sites.

I tend to use ebay exclusively and don't mind waiting for the right price and being discerning in what I get. It's convenient and saves me a boatload of time. There's just nothing around here. I don't buy too much however, so there's only so much I'll get suckered in.

Consequently, my collection is limited to an Atari 2600, an original PlayStation, and a PS 2. I have had no difficulty building substantial collections for all three systems.

Yes. I've found I can manage 4 physical ecosystems. 2 large, and 2 small. Anything more and I get pulled away from actually enjoying what I got.

With MAME and other emulators I can "work with" any number of smaller 8/16 bit systems and arcade cabs and get into setting something up. And at a moment's notice I can shut it all down for the evening and start back up the next time I got free time. Practically instantly. And that is just a huge time saver!

It's like with Marble Madness II. I could either trek to an arcade if and when it comes out. Spend all that time going to and fro. Searching. Waiting. Or I could check everything out on crisp fresh clean hardware in a comfy environment. In my power-recliner. With dinner served to my fat ass at the snap of a finger!

The only real hardware needed for all that is a good monitor & speakers, i9, and a couple of high-quality almost-over-the-top controllers.

In contrast, over the years, I have passed on purchasing an Odyessy 2, a Vectrex, and a ColecoVision because I knew that it would be difficult or impossible to find additional cartridges for these systems. I am also reluctant to purchase older hardware as I have neither the skills nor the tools to repair something non-working. 

I was glad to have owned and experienced them first hand back in the day. It seems to have bumped up the nostalgia and appreciation factors today. A little bit like visiting old friends I suppose. I had all those and tons more. I kinda foresaw (but not knowing I did) that maintenance and availability would be supremo time consumers and endless sources of frustration.

Today a text/hex editor, compiler, Windows Explorer, dedupers, renamers, archivers, file sync stuff, backup stuff, and likewise, are my main tools. And like I say.. the ability to start & stop both work and play, instantly, adds so much to the hobby.

Edited by Keatah

4 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

I don't see a lot of collectability with the modern trend of going discless and digital only.  

This is true and it does put a damper on collecting.

In previous posts elsewhere I rambled on about how videogame collecting became a thing (to use current social media vernacular).. a thing.. Does one just start ending up with a pile of discs and carts? Does one try to build up a library? A themed library? Or worse, get the gotta-get-em-all mentality, and eventually have rooms overflowing with crap?

Personally I just accumulate shit over the years, purge the garbage, then continue on. Hoping to have a nice, tight, refined collection of everything favorite.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

I focus pretty much on only two genres, racing and shmups and just get pretty much all those games for each system.

Shmups are a good "core" genre. Skills and reflexes developed here apply to many other types of games.

And while the simple act of blowing everything up (like in a bullet hell) can be boring, the appeal of shmups (for me) comes in the artwork, the terrain, the ships, the enemies. And of course the patterns/levels. There's a good sense of progression in these kinds of games.

I may not collect all shmups for all platforms because of the amount of garbage I'd need to accumulate to run it all.

52 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Big modern games with stories don't interest me , they look like interactive soap operas and vhs "games" back in the day.

The do don't they? They're like FMV full-interactive wannabes. I'm not interested in paying $$$ for a fucking big-ass GPU either.

But I am happy to let others push the tech for the market and be a flunky, then buy something 2nd hand for cheap later. Works out pretty good.

Edited by Keatah

Allow me to re-answer the OP's theme question. I refuse to collect or purchase anything that doesn't live up to my personal standards

40 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Oh to answer the question.  The switch. I felt burned hard by the Wii U.

The switch is a kiddie game. With kiddie quality.

40 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Also the red spines are ugly and an eyesore and there's nothing in the box but a tiny cartridge that tastes like pepper.  Lovely

Not Lovely!! Heh they are indeed the eyesore. And I wouldn't let them in my mancave if given to me for free. Out for recycling it goes.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't use the word "refuse" but I have more personal preferences since I can't or couldn't "Gotta Catch Them All!"(tm)

I'm more into pre-Crash stuff since I'm in the 80's kid demographic who grew up playing arcade games and find that stuff like Bally Astrocade & Vectrex more interesting, especially since they were more like rarities even back then.

But forget getting the actual hardware because it no longer exists.  Hell, I couldn't even find a working 2600 to play my large cart collection at any retro gaming stores because they only focus on NES & Sega games.  And now even those carts are a rarity nowadays so it's not worth it for me to go that route.  (I would like to buy a 7800 someday to play the homebrew carts sold on AtariAge...)

No offense to anyone who grew up playing Nintendo games, but that's just not my main preference just like Gen Y'ers aren't into 2600 stuff.  It's just so "many" out there and it's all so formatic, you play one game like Mario or Zelda you've pretty much played the same types on 3rd party carts but not as good.  I'm more open to the 16-bit Sega games but again there's that since of sameness there too.

I don't want to "collect" modern games not because I hate them but because there's way too many out there.  I get it there's people here who only want to buy physical copies but that's the reason I can't collect for Playstation 1 through 5 because used game stores no longer carry those games.  I remember the last decade you used to go to a Gamestop to buy last-gen & previous-gen titles dirt cheap, but now they throw them out to make room for dumb geek toys. :roll:  So that's why I don't care about paying a subscription to play games for like 15 minutes at a time anyway.  Why should I spend $70 every year for a CoD type game with microtransactions on top of that anyway just to get a newer version later on? (I'm forced to do that with TurboTax every year.)

Any game I do want to keep I'll buy for the PC for $20 or less...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrMaddog said:

I don't want to "collect" modern games not because I hate them but because there's way too many out there.  I get it there's people here who only want to buy physical copies but that's the reason I can't collect for Playstation 1 through 5 because used game stores no longer carry those games.  I remember the last decade you used to go to a Gamestop to buy last-gen & previous-gen titles dirt cheap, but now they throw them out to make room for dumb geek toys. :roll:  So that's why I don't care about paying a subscription to play games for like 15 minutes at a time anyway.  Why should I spend $70 every year for a CoD type game with microtransactions on top of that anyway just to get a newer version later on? (I'm forced to do that with TurboTax every year.)

This part of that last post of yours there, I agree with this 100%.  Collecting has turned into a costly migraine inducing utter nightmarish pain in the ass... people used to bitch in the 90s Neo Geo AES and its $200 games were expensive...ok and?  Get the $400 system, then $200/ea on a game and they came out a few a month at best, but depending on tastes and sanity a set wasn't in the cards, same as now.  But given how much there is now, how much of it is intentionally capped and cut to microtransaction 2x+ the original game price and all the other walled garden shenanigans which ultimately unlike say the AES stuff 100% will not work long term is a big problem.  The thousands of dollars in a month spent on that physical media hard push gets ugly fast, and outside of largely Switch stuff, isn't even complete out of the box, is too big of an ask.

So with that, you're right, when you do want to game... better off getting your swiss army knife of choice, the PC, because even one with 7+ year old parts in it still can out gun the PS4pro at same resolutions...and those games with steam/gog sales will be a few dollars here $20 there, and work far far longer.  It's just become stupid at this rate.  I gave up, just have the PC and Switch for its portable goodness and unique titles I care to bother playing, that's it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

I'm more into pre-Crash stuff since I'm in the 80's kid demographic who grew up playing arcade games and find that stuff like Bally Astrocade & Vectrex more interesting, especially since they were more like rarities even back then.

Essentially same here. It's what I grew up with.

But forget getting the actual hardware because it no longer exists.

Oh it exists, don't kid yourself. You just can't readily get it in brick'n'morter. All ebay online. But I know what you're saying.

I don't want to "collect" modern games not because I hate them but because there's way too many out there.

Yes. Same here. Among other reasons. It'd be a full-time job with a small crew to manage it all. Anyhow. Collecting shouldn't be about blindly getting it all. I'm only vaguely aware of the forces that drive one to be a completionist. Or the forces that drive one to collect in the first place. It's something I've payed less and less attention to over the years.

So that's why I don't care about paying a subscription to play games for like 15 minutes at a time anyway.  Why should I spend $70 every year for a CoD type game with microtransactions on top of that anyway just to get a newer version later on? (I'm forced to do that with TurboTax every year.)

Again same here. Outside of the basic utility recurring utility bills, I avoid subscriptions. I've been watching the new Star Treks at a buddy's place. And in exchange I make sure his PCs and business and emulator stuff works smoothly.

Microtransactions seem to be disliked by everybody, and yet billions are poured into them. I don't get it. And microtransactions are another form DRM. They're tied to your online game. Can't readily transfer them around like you could a .DSG (Doom Saved Game). Versions and account numbers need to match. And likely other stuff I hadn't thought about - or cared to think about. It's just a moneysink.

Yes. However I'll spend tons more provided I get all the files and can actually play it into the future. I'm thinking about X-Plane at the moment. The sim + some scenery + addon aircraft can easily run into hundreds or thousands of dollars. And then the higher-end hardware needed to get the buttery smooth 100+ FPS. But the stuff is MINE to keep. Not that I indiscriminately buy everything. Just saying what's possible.

To us kids back then, games were easy to come by. Just yell for mom and dad! And the games showed up! Bonus points if you lectured them on inflation, demanding more money for more games. Today the onus is all on us as individuals to get'da  games. Some of us do well. Others not so.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The thousands of dollars in a month spent on that physical media hard push gets ugly fast, and outside of largely Switch stuff, isn't even complete out of the box, is too big of an ask.

I'd never try doing something like that again. Especially in these days and times. The games I purchase or own or kept are ones that have personal meaning to me. Sentimental. Nostalgia. That sort of thing. When plying by those rules life is so much easier. There's no rushing around. No anxiety about gotta get it now. And I'd be remiss in my personal mission of evangelizing emulation yet again and again because of the awesomesauce it brings to the game room. Not to mention how well it rounds out a collection.

Just this past weekend emulation let me play Marble Madness 2, and then a couple of rounds of Tac/Scan and Assault. I had to give up the upright cabinet, CRT, authentic controls, and arcade noise & smells & ambiance for the privilege however. But I did save on 4 hours of travel time between two arcades opposite each other by some 40 miles, with me in the center. Not that either had MM2 to begin with.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So with that, you're right, when you do want to game... better off getting your swiss army knife of choice, the PC, because even one with 7+ year old parts in it still can out gun the PS4pro at same resolutions...and those games with steam/gog sales will be a few dollars here $20 there, and work far far longer.  It's just become stupid at this rate.  I gave up, just have the PC and Switch for its portable goodness and unique titles I care to bother playing, that's it.

Yes a certain amount of specialization (or limiting the platforms to collect for) is practically a requirement. 4 is the sweet spot for me. 2 main platforms, and 2 sideshow gigs.

Also keep hearing and experiencing good things with gog. And between Apple II and PC I have more than a lifetimes worth of gaming and sandboxing. It's a good thing!