IGNORED

Weather thread

mizapf

Continuing my previous thread (I am dreaming of...)

Some extreme weather in Germany on May 20, 2022 near Paderborn (somewhere in the middle of Germany). So we do have such conditions from time to time, but luckily not too often, and as I heard, no fatalities and only a few injuries here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

My dad survived a major tornado in the southern USA in the early 2000s.  The mobile home park next to his house was destroyed, and his house was shifted on its foundation.  A few years later another one came within blocks of my sister's house.  Over a decade later, much of that neighborhood is still empty and uninhabited, they never rebuilt the houses.  It's a little scary to think how temporary all of our material things are.

• Sad 3

Frightening, for sure.

20+ years ago my family and I were outside and noticed the sky had turned a sickly shade of green.  The tornado warning sirens for the region activated around the same time.  We did not see the funnel cloud form but knew that shelter was necessary, so we all went to the basement.  Five or ten minutes later, we heard what many people describe as the noise of a freight train and felt tremors as the storm passed.  When we returned upstairs, the house was fine but a large pine tree 20-30 feet from the house had been sheered off - the top of the tree was nowhere to be found.  The large barn 300 feet (roughly 100meter) from our property was completely destroyed, all that remained was its original stone foundation.  Other houses and barns in the area had also been destroyed.   I still think about how close that tornado touched down to our home.

• Like 2

When I lived in Illinois in the late 90's, a tornado touched down in my backyard. We had just moved from New York City and had never experienced that. I remember hearing this loud roar and the house shook for about maybe 4-5 seconds then it went away and we had no clue what that was about. Then a few minutes later the neighbors ran to our house to check on us and that's when we found out a tornado had touched down. For weeks they kept bringing us bits and pieces of my kids' swing set and play shed :lol: Needless to say the very next day we bought a weather radio...

• Like 2

Here in southern Ontario, over the weekend we had something come in from Michigan and it got stronger as it moved eastward.

Where I live, 1Hr from the border, a lot of trees took out power lines. We lost power for about 16 hours. Power teams were swamped.

By the time it hit the Quebec border 8 people had died and some major transmissions lines had folded. (250KV type) 

One town was really hit hard.

Uxbridge Ontario storm 2022 - Google Search

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

We just had a teeny bit of Hurricane Ian Tuesday. Got a Ton of rain but not much wind. It’s actually starting to cool off down here. The temps in South Florida tend to be 90+ degrees from about April through October, often getting to the upper 90’s with 90% humidity. The summers here are *brutal* but the “fever” tends to break sometime in October. We get about 4 mos or so of gorgeous weather, then back into the 90’s. BUT it beats the hell out of shoveling snow. We were just in Key West last weekend. Really pretty. D686949A-C006-4AEC-BF9C-97E2C9FA0709.thumb.jpeg.270e64298541706d9b18164ffdf55aeb.jpeg

• Like 1

Here is my brush with Ian.  I am way away from its tantrum, but it was large enough to cover the entire state (pretty normal,) so I got the very outer edges of wind: about 8mph steady with gusts around 17mph or so.  Along with that comes the eerie orange-pink glow at dusk as a hurricane approaches.  This is the evening before landfall.

20220927_193702_011807.thumb.JPG.00ea34591c99bac6aecb21df7c5929d3.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

So much for easing into winter here in the Houston Texas area.  The forecast calls for a low temperature of 16F. I spent the afternoon chasing two sheets down the street because I had not properly weighted them down. (The sheets are meant to protect a few tender plants that probably won't survive the cold). Hopefully, everyone affected by this extreme weather is staying safe and warm.

image.thumb.png.7574016209f42b59ec1df1ab2a8a38f0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is a graph from my own built sensor application, running for some days, and proving that our weather has a better memory than I have. It always remembers to switch to thaw at Christmas, even though we had some cold temperatures a week before. "Dreaming of a White Christmas" is something like a lottery and occurs at most once every five years. (As always, the zero °C is the freezing point.)

Remember that I am located at 51°N, the same latitude as Calgary.

temp.png

Technical details: The sensor is a ESP32 chip with a DS18B20 temperature sensor, transmitting a value by WiFi every 30 seconds, collected on a NUC server as one file per day. The graph is an output of gnuplot.

• Like 4