IGNORED

Orion Assault

So Here are some sample screens.

There are 100 levels and 10 bosses.
And here are the alpha version binaries' for anyone who wants to test the game as is.
I know there is still a ton to do, but I'm kinda stuck on the game design and would appreciate feedback and ideas

o1.thumb.png.8f2cc1e2af7dc8a8f2ea9c5106d284b1.png

oa2.png

o2.png

orion_assault_2022_alpha.bas.a78

orion_assault_2022_alpha.bas.bin

Edited by 8bitrocket
  • Like 8

It does play nicely. I love the warp sections, the stars stretching is a nice effect.

I also like the capital ship being in sections, that's really neat.

Couple of comments. I got a score at the end of the game but didn't see a score during the game. Also I could move off the sides of the screen and re-appear on the opposite side.

Really nice progress.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

It does play nicely. I love the warp sections, the stars stretching is a nice effect.

I also like the capital ship being in sections, that's really neat.

Couple of comments. I got a score at the end of the game but didn't see a score during the game. Also I could move off the sides of the screen and re-appear on the opposite side.

Really nice progress.

Noted, thanks!  
The dumb things you miss when your head is deep in the code.

• Like 4

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Orion Assault on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 6

On 5/23/2022 at 5:06 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Orion Assault on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

994001596_20220524-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.2ee74424b009f278aee92b973346dbac.jpg

I'm sorry, I can't watch stuff like this. It makes me too nervous. 
Was there any feedback I can use to improve the game?
We are working on
1. A pokey-music system for the next version.
2. At least 2 more alien ships

3. Revamp of of "bonus" system
4. Smoother transitions in places that don't have them
5. high Score support

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 8bitrocket said:

I'm sorry, I can't watch stuff like this. It makes me too nervous. 
Was there any feedback I can use to improve the game?
We are working on
1. A pokey-music system for the next version.
2. At least 2 more alien ships

3. Revamp of of "bonus" system
4. Smoother transitions in places that don't have them
5. high Score support

- One suggestion was to make the enemy bullets a different color.

- I do believe someone asked if other enemy ship types might be added for variety.

- It was first thought it was too easy, but once you get to the lower 80 warps left it does ramp up since all the enemy ships require more hits to take them out and fire more often

- The extreme left and right seem to be safe zones where while possible for an enemy ship to run into you there, they don't seem to fire any shots there

That is really all I can think of off the top of my head for what was discussed. Everyone really likes the warp effect between waves!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, 8bitrocket said:

All good ideas. thanks!

Well only the enemy bullets being a different color and more enemy types with perhaps different attack patterns was suggested. The other mentions were just observations by those of us watching and or playing along in the background. 

Can you make the auto fire not have that short pause? It isn't noticed as much in the lower power up levels, but once you are fully powered up, it is noticed. Then again it might make it too easy if we can just toss a wall of bullets the entire time.

Since this is a 7800 game, how about using the second button for a shield? Perhaps it can be an energy bar that is replenished slowly over time on its own, or by additional power pickups from the saucer ship? While perhaps not needed immediately for the beginning waves/stages, it would be quite handy later on to survive collisions with enemy ships and shots that rain down.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well only the enemy bullets being a different color and more enemy types with perhaps different attack patterns was suggested. The other mentions were just observations by those of us watching and or playing along in the background. 

Can you make the auto fire not have that short pause? It isn't noticed as much in the lower power up levels, but once you are fully powered up, it is noticed. Then again it might make it too easy if we can just toss a wall of bullets the entire time.

Since this is a 7800 game, how about using the second button for a shield? Perhaps it can be an energy bar that is replenished slowly over time on its own, or by additional power pickups from the saucer ship? While perhaps not needed immediately for the beginning waves/stages, it would be quite handy later on to survive collisions with enemy ships and shots that rain down.

Thanks for this!  Great feedback!

• 3 months later...
On 5/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, 8bitrocket said:

So Here are some sample screens.

There are 100 levels and 10 bosses.
And here are the alpha version binaries' for anyone who wants to test the game as is.
I know there is still a ton to do, but I'm kinda stuck on the game design and would appreciate feedback and ideas

o1.thumb.png.8f2cc1e2af7dc8a8f2ea9c5106d284b1.png

oa2.png

o2.png

orion_assault_2022_alpha.bas.a78 128.13 kB · 56 downloads

orion_assault_2022_alpha.bas.bin 128 kB · 37 downloads

Hi ! Any plans to finish the game this year ?

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow managed to miss this one completely until now, which is a shame as it's a fun shooter as it sits.

As suggestions were solicited, a few that came to mind:

• Vary the altitude at which the UFO enters the screen
    • Higher-up == worth more points and/or power-ups
  • Vary the UFO size?
    • Smaller == worth more points and/or power-ups
  • Increase the scoring by a factor of at least 10
    • This will make getting through the game feel more rewarding
  • Speed up starfield scrolling a bit
    • This will make the game feel a little faster
    • Variable scroll speed depending on player performance / enemy aggressiveness?
  • Different enemies per zone
  • Vary the Capital Ship design and attack capabilities

None of these are by any means criticism, and I do get that it's early days yet.  Good game!