IGNORED

Windows 10 Install

phuzaxeman

I don't understand. 

I had W7 and I payed for an update for W8. When W10 came out, I update my W8 -> W10. Since that, I have installed W10 on 2 VCS without paid anything.

So, If you have already an account under W10 on another PC, you have just to type your mail and password, so you can connect with your Microsoft Account.

3 minutes ago, RadiATIon said:

I don't understand. 

I had W7 and I payed for an update for W8. When W10 came out, I update my W8 -> W10. Since that, I have installed W10 on 2 VCS without paid anything.

So, If you have already an account under W10 on another PC, you have just to type your mail and password, so you can connect with your Microsoft Account.

Well, it's not supposed to work that way, but if you say it is, I'm certainly not going to argue with you. However, the way it is supposed to work is that every unique machine is supposed to have its own Windows license. Who is logged into it makes no difference at all. The Windows license if for the machine, not the person.

• Like 1

If you register a Microsoft account with a Windows machine it'll associate the license with it and store it online. You can check which computers are registered to you on the devices page at account.microsoft.com which will also give you their licensing status.

You can keep reusing a retail license to register new computers as many times as you want; only the OEM ones are tied to a particular machine and require permission from Microsoft support, which they'll usually give if you just say that you changed the motherboard, to move. Either way though, any previous machines using that license will eventually become deactivated when they go online. Stuff still works, you'll just start seeing the nag messages.

If you're anything like me, you've probably picked up enough Windows licenses over the years that you can endlessly recycle them and never have to buy new ones. Just be careful not to reassign ones that are currently in use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I'm trying to install Win10 to a M2. I made a USB installer using wintousb. I can start the installation, but the installer says it can't install to the SSD because it is not formatted to NTSF. Is there anything I can do short of removing the SSD? My computer doesn't have an M2 slot in it, so I'd need to buy an usb adapter for it and if I'm doing that I may as well install the windows image directly to the M2 as has been suggested here.

1 hour ago, jesusc said:

I'm trying to install Win10 to a M2. I made a USB installer using wintousb. I can start the installation, but the installer says it can't install to the SSD because it is not formatted to NTSF. Is there anything I can do short of removing the SSD? My computer doesn't have an M2 slot in it, so I'd need to buy an usb adapter for it and if I'm doing that I may as well install the windows image directly to the M2 as has been suggested here.

I would think Windows would format it NTFS for you.   You could make a gpartd flash disk and use that to boot and repartition and format the ssd

10 hours ago, jesusc said:

I would think that too. It gives me the option to format the 9 or 10 partitions on the 800’s nand, but the option is grayed out for the ssd. I will try gpartd, thanks. 

That is bizarre.   Are you fofllowing the instructions posted in this forum?   I haven't install Win 10 myself,  but seems like there's a trick to it so people wrote up docs on how to do it.

On 12/23/2022 at 5:10 AM, jesusc said:

I would think that too. It gives me the option to format the 9 or 10 partitions on the 800’s nand, but the option is grayed out for the ssd. I will try gpartd, thanks. 

I had to hook up the M.2 SSD to a cheap external USB enclosure to do a fully normal Windows install on to it. Then I moved it into the M.2 internal slot on the VCS 800 and it continued to work just fine.

• 9 months later...

That Windows 10 activation price tag can be a bit of a shocker, right? But don't worry, you're not alone in this.So, here's the scoop – you can hunt for more budget-friendly options without going the pirate route. One handy place to check out is the Windows 10 Pro product key subreddit. Folks there often share their experiences and tips on where to find legit keys at a friendlier cost.Just a word of caution: while looking for a deal, watch out for anything that seems too good to be true. We all know how that can turn out. Stay on the safe side, and you'll get that Windows 10 activation sorted without breaking the bank.

Edited by sarahtmonroe

• 2 months later...

hi everyone ik this post is a couple years old but just wondering so if im reading this right on USB Sticks if have a USB stick big enough connected to my Atari VCS 800 and a stick with windows installation on it i’m able to put windows on it that way with just the VCS 800 and those two USB Sticks or? (i’m New to the VCS 800 console and need help) 

• 1 month later...

This is the option I selected to use the iso in win to usb app… windows

to go usb…which I assume was the correct way as.it seemed to get so close to being done but then I get that error saying a patch can fix it and then 20

minutes later back to the same message

the first time I tried to use win to usb I chose windows installation usb but that’s what took me to that partition error page where I couldn’t do anything 

IMG_7641.png

Edited by bwestdpm