IGNORED

Screen edges cut off issue?

rcajun90

I face the same issue with some Consoles in the past.

You could try to go to the menu / configuration part of your TV set and go to the " Screen Format Option"  there try to use "Auto-Scan" feature.

After than the screen should be shown in a proper way.

Cheers,

andY

Edited by andymanone

I have this issue with one of my televisions as well, I can minimize it in the television settings but it just has too much "overscan". I think the actual issue is it is a cheap TV and they simply put the plastic over the edge of the screen, but hey. Unfortunately, unless the TV settings allow for the ability to adjust the edge of the screen you may be out of luck.

22 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

If it's a TV its because of that.  The VCS is just a regular PC outputting 720p or 1080p over HDMI.  Look at the TV picture settings, I had an older TV that did this, there was a PC mode that corrected it. Otherwise try another resolution on the VCS side.

It worked fine until I started installing a bunch of apps.  I want to say the game pass app messed it up.

1 hour ago, THX-1138 said:

If it's a TV its because of that.  The VCS is just a regular PC outputting 720p or 1080p over HDMI.  Look at the TV picture settings, I had an older TV that did this, there was a PC mode that corrected it. Otherwise try another resolution on the VCS side.

The VCS only let’s me choose one resolution.  It also does it on Windows.

I had this same issue when I first used the VCS on my Samsung 40" from 2015.  I needed to adjust the screen size on my TV to, I think it was "native" resolution or something like that.  Then the sizing was perfect.  Also check if your TV has a "game mode".  This will reduce lag and also move the borders in.

31 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

I had this same issue when I first used the VCS on my Samsung 40" from 2015.  I needed to adjust the screen size on my TV to, I think it was "native" resolution or something like that.  Then the sizing was perfect.  Also check if your TV has a "game mode".  This will reduce lag and also move the borders in.

Thank you.  The first tv is a Samsung.  The second was A Dell monitor.  I even did a reset to the VCS.  I don’t see anything about native resolution.  Very frustrating 

I had the same issue with my Element 55" TV.  There are 3 display options on my VCS.  When I picked the 2nd option (standard HD, I believe) I got the overscan issue.  When I pick the 3rd (bottom) option, which I think is Ultra HD, it fits my TV perfectly.  The downside to that is when I load any of the streaming services, everything is SUPER small.  So, if I'm going to use a streaming service, I'll lower the resolution first.

50 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

I had the same issue with my Element 55" TV.  There are 3 display options on my VCS.  When I picked the 2nd option (standard HD, I believe) I got the overscan issue.  When I pick the 3rd (bottom) option, which I think is Ultra HD, it fits my TV perfectly.  The downside to that is when I load any of the streaming services, everything is SUPER small.  So, if I'm going to use a streaming service, I'll lower the resolution first.

Yep it’s the tv.  I had time to try the tv upstairs.  It works fine.  I wonder why I didn’t have that issue for days when I first got it home.  Now I just need to break the tv in the game room.?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've only been playing my VCS for a few days, but it found I have a similar issue. The issue is inconsistent though. Sometime it boots up fine, sometimes the dashboard is cropped, and sometimes the dashboard is cropped and I loose sound. I haven't figured out what I do differently that gives me different outcomes. I tried turning off overscan on my tv, but nothing noticable happened. The fact that sometimes it's fine gives me hope that there is a solution, but I'm a bit confused so far.

• 3 weeks later...

So update on my situation, now that I've had a chance to observe it for a bit. 

If I haven't used the VCS for a few hours (like if it's the first time I've turned it on all day), the display and sound seem fine.

If the console goes to sleep, or if I change input on the TV (but it doesn't go to sleep), and I use it again, the screen gets cut off (I think the resolution gets messed up), and I lose sound.

If I turn the console off, and then back on within an hour or two of playing, I also end up with weird resolution (screen cut off) and no sound. 

This happens in VCS mode, and in Windows PC mode (I just installed windows, Thanks @Mockduck).

For the record, I have an oldish (decade old?) 46" Dynex TV. I have a feeling the VCS just doesn't like playing with my oldish, and kind of cheap TV. 

has anyone experienced what I am describing, and is there a fix? I was considering using a converter to downgrade the HDMI signal from the VCS to composite video, but that is a complete shot in the dark.

I have experienced this.  My solution was simple, set the TV to use native resolution (?).  I have a 7 or 8 year old Samsung 40" and changing that setting fixed it.  If your Dynex doesn't have a way to change the setting then you may want to invest in a newer one (they're only built to last 7-10 years anyway).  Good luck.

Just ran into this issue with our new LG OLED when my wife was playing the switch on it for the first time. I noticed it was cutting off some of the graphics but she didn't. On our new OLED and on some older Samsungs that my company uses, we found out how to correct this.

First is that older monitors that first started to feature HDMI inputs had overscan in them and no way to properly adjust for this. We found with our older Samsung monitors that using the DVI input solved this issue as in DVI the screen would fit exactly to the size of the screen without overscan.

Later Samsungs finally built it into the HDMI inputs and it was found in the aspect section. The setting needed was called "Just Scan" and took care of the overscan issue.

Funny thing is that my new LG uses the same terminology and it is called Just Scan on it as well. Switch is fitting the screen properly again, although now we have noticed that we are seeing more blank space border around normal TV broadcasts and I don't recall seeing that before with our older Sony 4K?

Speaking of Sony... I use an older Bravia in my game room and I found out that I had to force it to tread all the inputs as if they were PC inputs. Doing this allows me to finally stop the auto brightness option as nothing else would, and it also properly adjusted the screen sizes doing this.

• 1 year later...