IGNORED

Extended Basics Which one?

videofx

12 minutes ago, videofx said:

Trying to find the best version of Extended Basic to use but not sure which has the most features. 

Is it XB256?

What ever you suggest please let me know where to download. I checked ftp.whtech.com first

Thanks!

If you want to compile your XB programs, XB256 is the best solution. But I'm sure that in less than 5 minutes we will see some posts related to RXB... ?

• Haha 7

It really depends on what you want to do. RXB gives a number of useful features to interface withoutside equipment (one user here used it to run a home weather station), Winkler's XB3 did some extensive work on the TI math routines to eliminate a number of interesting bugs that existed in the original TI XB and added a number of interesting support routines as well, Knerr's XB 2.7 also works quite well as an all-around programming language, Wilhelm's XB 2.9 extends XB 2.7 even further and his XB 256 is perfect for those who want to be able to compile their programs into homebrew cartridge form. Mechatronic XB 2 Plus has some interesting, though seldom used bitmap graphics routines. Myarc's XB 2.12 is pretty much the speed champ, although there are still a few bugs in it and it requires a Myarc 128K-512K memory card to work. Triton's SEB offers the majority of the GK-XB extensions from the GRAM Kracker (many of these can also be found in RXB, XB 2.7, and XB 2.9, with somewhat similar, independently developed routines in XB3). There is even an available port of Powertran Cortex BASIC out there if you happen to like programming in a TI-990-style BASIC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If you wish to develop "classic" Extended BASIC programs using the classic toolset:

TI Extended BASIC (requires no expansion hardware) 

If you wish to develop 40 column text-mode (monochrome) programs:

T40XB (requires 32K)

If you wish to develop 80 column text-mode (monochrome) programs:

T80XB (requires 23K + 80 column hardware)

If you wish to develop BASIC programs using Bitmap Mode graphics (unique tile and palette for all 6144 screen locations):

The Missing Link (requires 32K)

If you wish to develop BASIC games using a suite of routines suited to game development:

XB256 (requires 32K)

If you wish to develop BASIC games to be compiled:

XB Game Developer's Kit (requires 32K)

Edited by pixelpedant
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, videofx said:

Thanks @Ksarul for the great explanation about all the choices available. I would like to compile the program once finished. 

So I can start with XB256.

Anyone know what the latest version is and where I can snag it and the documentation?

Thanks!

You can download latest version in the thread below (first post):

• Like 1

Since you've said you're interested in compiling, you'll be interested in the XB Game Developer's Kit, found here.

Note that while this allows you to easily use XB256 routines in developing your compiled program, there is no requirement that you do so.  With very few restrictions, you can just develop a conventional Extended BASIC program, and compile it for the resulting speed boost. 

As well, programs using The Missing Link (which offers a quite different feature set), as well as other supporting libraries, can now likewise be compiled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tmop69 said:

You can download latest version in the thread below (first post):

OK so I do I get this to work on my TI99/4a?

I put the 2 files XB29GEM_8.BIN & XB29GEM_G.BIN  and copied them to my Finalgrom99 and renamed the files removing the _ from both files to XB29GEMC.BIN & XB29GEMG.BIN

it loads and locks up and here is what the screen looks like:

IMG_7556.jpeg

That was my TI99/4a black console. So I thought what the heck lest try my beige console and sure enough XB2.9 gem works! Any ideas why my black console locks up?

So now how do I install the compiler and other files that are in the Juwel994 folder?

Thanks!

Edited by videofx

2 hours ago, videofx said:

So now how do I install the compiler and other files that are in the Juwel994 folder?

Thanks!

There are people who use a real TI99 for developmental work. (Atrax27407 is one of them.) But I think you would be much happier if you use Classic99 for your development work and just use the real TI99 for running the final products.

• Like 3

On 5/24/2022 at 8:58 PM, Ksarul said:

It really depends on what you want to do. RXB gives a number of useful features to interface withoutside equipment (one user here used it to run a home weather station), Winkler's XB3 did some extensive work on the TI math routines to eliminate a number of interesting bugs that existed in the original TI XB and added a number of interesting support routines as well, Knerr's XB 2.7 also works quite well as an all-around programming language, Wilhelm's XB 2.9 extends XB 2.7 even further and his XB 256 is perfect for those who want to be able to compile their programs into homebrew cartridge form. Mechatronic XB 2 Plus has some interesting, though seldom used bitmap graphics routines. Myarc's XB 2.12 is pretty much the speed champ, although there are still a few bugs in it and it requires a Myarc 128K-512K memory card to work. Triton's SEB offers the majority of the GK-XB extensions from the GRAM Kracker (many of these can also be found in RXB, XB 2.7, and XB 2.9, with somewhat similar, independently developed routines in XB3). There is even an available port of Powertran Cortex BASIC out there if you happen to like programming in a TI-990-style BASIC.

That's a nice summary, as is @pixelpedant's follow up message too. No wonder I've found the landscape confusing, as there are so many extended basics! Glad this thread is here and brings clarity into the different basics which are available.

• Like 4

I bought SXB back when Triton was selling it. It remains my favorite for its familiarity if nothing else. Oddly, I don't use that many of the new or expanded calls and commands, mostly to retain compatibilty with TI's XB.
I do make good use of the added function keys for editing.

If this line is inserted into your program, it will check to see which version of XB is in use. Your program can check that and branch to code appropriate to whichever flavor of XB is running at the time. This retains "stock TI" compatibility yet allows access to the expanded feature set if it's available.

100 CALL VERSION(VERS):: IF VERS<120 THEN VER$="TI XB" ELSE VER
$="SXB"

Edit the line to check for your chosen XB's version number. I used the above line in my timer program to report the version on-screen as SXB or TI XB, then use either SXB's built-in CALL CLOCK or branch to a loader that installed an assembly clock routine that Bruce Harrison created for me.

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 4

For me,  XB 2.9 G.E.M.is the best Extended Basic Toolkit ever, and by far. Senior Falcon has perfectly listened to what TI Basic developers dreamed to have. He didn't lost himself with the development of weakly useful features, his XB256 goes to the essential and brings the most important (graphics and sound) commands and features that were really missing to the original TI Extended Basic, it also brings the so hoped speed and the capability to compile programs: A Must have.

In addition, the documentation is perfect.

A precision:  XB 2.9 G.E.M. also works like a charm with Fred's TI994W emulator.

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For me it is backwards compatibility with TI Basic and Console alone.

(It is a TI99/4A that I bought originally with XB cart, not the PBox or other devices)

If you need a crap load of other devices to make something work it defeats the purpose of what you are doing.

The hardest thing to do is maintain total backwards compatibility and still support new devices.

• Like 1

What kind of person your are? You are sickly incapable to accept that we can have different needs from yours. Sincerely, have fun with your RXB development, but please stop trying to impose your vision of things that doesn't correspond to most of us,  and using rude words each time someone is not agree with you, you finish to  bore most of us and became unpleasant. 

• Like 2

Every programmer has goals they try to meet when designing software. Here Rich is simply explaining the design philosophy that he used when creating RXB. Backward compatibility with an unexpanded console could be important to some people, while others prefer to use a system with more bells and whistles. Since the whole point of this hobby is to have fun, the only wrong answer is one that you don't find enjoyable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I may have expressed myself badly. I am not criticizing the philosophy of RXB which is just as commendable as the others. Like I already said, I wish Rich lots of fun developing his emulator. I only criticize him for trying most of the time to impose his emulator and to become biting when one tell him that we do not agree with him.

• Like 1

When I program in TI Extended Basic, I use an emulator and to be more precise I use two ones : TI994AW et Classic99. I find TI994AW and Classic99  complementary:  Among several advantages, the first one permits me to program and simulate the game at the speed it will run when compiled and the second permits me to see the blanking Sprites (so I can modify my programs code to reduce the blanking effect)

I also use the tools XB256/XB 2.9 G.E.M. for programming and compiling, Magellan to define characters and to draw screens, TI99dir for files management, HxD to hex edit files in some cases, ModuleCreator or EA5toCart to be able to use the program as a cartridge. I also use TIimageTool and HxCFloppyEmulator for floppies. Since some days, I use MuseCore4A.

The goal is always to be able to use programs on the real computer.

All these programs are great and I thank you again all the authors.

• Like 1

This is why I don't use any XB for programing, and I only use SXB when I need to move chunks of TI BASIC code around.  Otherwise, I prefer to program in forth, as I can embed simple forth machine code as I type (create) interpretive forth words or CALL my forth AL library for immediate use in X4th99, and deciding which choice to make is a matter of confidence in usefulness of the code I'm writing.  (Also one MB of SAMS for both TI-99/4A and SNUG TI-99/4P, but one is 8 bit and the other is 16 bit, so we know which one wins that race!).  Yes, there are also different flavors of forth to choose from (not nearly as many as XB)  In all cases, I try to make it easy for the new to forth programmer, as the dedicated forth programmer can do their own thing at any time they choose.

RetroBill (fdos)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

What kind of person your are? You are sickly incapable to accept that we can have different needs from yours. Sincerely, have fun with your RXB development, but please stop trying to impose your vision of things that doesn't correspond to most of us,  and using rude words each time someone is not agree with you, you finish to  bore most of us and became unpleasant. 

Ok any post you attack me and this is getting abusive and you need to be civil please.

And RXB is a XB cart not a EMULATOR if that were true then XB 2.9 and SXB and XB3 and every other variant is a emulator.

• Like 1