IGNORED

Tempest 4000 on other platforms and the Paddle controller.

Hawkangel

I understand that Tempest 4000 on the Atari VCS makes use of the Paddle on the modern Atari VCS joystick. For those of us without an Atari VCS,  Tempest 4000 has been released on PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and MS Windows. 

It got me thinking, what is the possibility of using a Paddle controller by either modding the official controllers/analogue stick for the mentioned platforms above or using a 2600 Paddle with the appropriate connectors? 

For example, imagine the left Joycon on the Nintendo Switch being modded with a Paddle instead of an analogue stick or an Xbox One or Windows PC using an official 2600 Paddle via some kind of adapter. 

I know a lot of people on this board are good with electronics so I’d love to hear any suggestions. I was willing to give this a try if it hasn’t been done already or if anyone has any suggestions. 

4 hours ago, Hawkangel said:

It got me thinking, what is the possibility of using a Paddle controller by either modding the official controllers/analogue stick for the mentioned platforms above or using a 2600 Paddle with the appropriate connectors?

There would be little point in say replacing the left Joycon on the Nintendo Switch controller with a paddle as they both do the same thing, vary a resistance the only difference is that instead of a L-R or U-D movement you are rotating. Plus,  I have never actually used on but they do not look big enough to take a standard size potentiometer. Finally, considering that the version of Tempest for a specific console would probably be written to use the standard controller for that console making an alteration may effect the response of the game, not to mention that if the modification requires removal of the original joystick then you have relegated to modified controller to use for just the one game, whereas leaving it as standard means it can be used on all games. 

As for using an original 2600 Paddle with another system have you tried both an internet and forum search  as I am sure that has been done before, at least for use with PC emulators.

I would love to see the VCS' Classic Controller get better general PC driver support, and that seems like the best current solution if it ever happens. I think even if someone didn't like the Classic's twist specifically having that driver support would make it easier for other solutions as well.

• Like 1

Two options worth considering:

1) Get a 3D printed mini-steering wheel add-on for your modem day gamepad and add a paddle to it.  I've created a tutorial on this and show Tempest from Atari Flashback being played on my Xbox One with my wireless controller at the 28 minutes 13 seconds point of this video:

2) Buy a mouse/keyboad adapter for your modern-day console and use an arcade spinner controller with buttons that has PC mouse protocol to play Tempest.  That's really the most genuine way to play.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 1:09 PM, ave1 said:

Two options worth considering:

1) Get a 3D printed mini-steering wheel add-on for your modem day gamepad and add a paddle to it.  I've created a tutorial on this and show Tempest from Atari Flashback being played on my Xbox One with my wireless controller at the 28 minutes 13 seconds point of this video:

2) Buy a mouse/keyboad adapter for your modern-day console and use an arcade spinner controller with buttons that has PC mouse protocol to play Tempest.  That's really the most genuine way to play.

Thank you so much for the reply! This is the kind of response and solution I am looking for! I’ll look into buying one of those Xbox controller 3D printed mini wheels. Bless. 

• Like 1