IGNORED

New Game: Dungeoneer

On 5/31/2022 at 10:39 AM, TGB1718 said:

I'm using Altirra on Windoze, 130XE (does it with NTSC or PAL selected),  Atari XL/XE OS V2, U1M, SIDE 3 and US Doubler 1050 emulation

basically the same setup as my "real" hardware

Thanks for the info @TGB1718 however, I noticed that whenever I try and add a virtual device to the emulator it requires an associated firmware.  Do you know where I can find the firmware so that I can mimic your setup and see the issue first hand?  Thanks again.

16 minutes ago, LatchKeyKid said:

The New Retro Show covered the game today on youtube and I saw it there.  Just wanted to pop in and say that I oved the art style!  Any chance you'll de-make it for the 2600?  :)

That's awesome!  Thank you so much for the heads up, I just checked out that channel :)  I've recently been asked to do the same thing for another Atari console as well.  I can definitely look into it and hopefully without too much trouble, I'll be able to port it.  Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend put this on an .atr for me so I don't have to deal with the APE loader.

I have to say this is fantastic. Exactly my type of game. Love this! Hoping you can add a lot more levels. If you decide to do an official release on disk or cart with more levels, I'll be first in line with my money. :)

John

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Dungeoneer on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:
 (WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cx2k said:

A friend put this on an .atr for me so I don't have to deal with the APE loader.

I have to say this is fantastic. Exactly my type of game. Love this! Hoping you can add a lot more levels. If you decide to do an official release on disk or cart with more levels, I'll be first in line with my money. :)

John

That's great, thank you so much for the support.  I'm so glad you enjoyed the game.  I'm currently working on adding more levels.  I'll look into doing a cartridge release as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Dungeoneer on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:
1190027578_20220610-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.795059c74ac108845e58a34a82a12e2d.jpg

Awesome, I'll do my best to be there.  I'll also announce this on my socials to get other people to join in and check it out if I can.  Thank you very much :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I've just finished a major overhaul to Dungeoneer and added RLE which shrinks the overall size of the binary as well as quite a few quality of life and bug fixes.  You shouldn't see the start up garble that was seen previously now.  The transition issue where the player ended up off screen should now be fixed.  The issue where the spider crawls out the door as been fixed.  A few other fixes that can be read about here: https://github.com/godlikemouse/atari-1200xl-asm/releases/tag/v1.2

I've attached the latest v1.2 binary to this post.  Thank you everyone for checking it out and please do let me know if you run into any issues and I'll try and fix them.

dungeoneer.xex

• Like 8

3 hours ago, godlikemouse said:

Hi Everyone,

I've just finished a major overhaul to Dungeoneer and added RLE which shrinks the overall size of the binary as well as quite a few quality of life and bug fixes.  You shouldn't see the start up garble that was seen previously now.  The transition issue where the player ended up off screen should now be fixed.  The issue where the spider crawls out the door as been fixed.  A few other fixes that can be read about here: https://github.com/godlikemouse/atari-1200xl-asm/releases/tag/v1.2

I've attached the latest v1.2 binary to this post.  Thank you everyone for checking it out and please do let me know if you run into any issues and I'll try and fix them.

dungeoneer.xex 20.75 kB · 14 downloads

Nice game, def. playable. Consider adding a 'continue' so you don't have to do the whole game over again if you die...

vlcsnap-2022-06-24-16h44m44s673.png

1 hour ago, massiverobot said:

Nice game, def. playable. Consider adding a 'continue' so you don't have to do the whole game over again if you die...

Like all the other Atari 8-bit games?  Oh wait...

Isn't having a challenge part of the point?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, massiverobot said:

vlcsnap-2022-06-24-16h44m44s673.png

Thank you for playing my game and for the feedback.  I purposed omitted any save features, pass code and continuation simply because the game itself is quite short.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

We play Dungeoneer in the actuall HSC-round, so I took a closer look at it.

When I enter level 2 or 3, there is no man visible and I die as soon as I move. The next man appears and I can go on playing.

This happens on real hardware (PAL-XEGS) and Altirra in PAL-mode. When I switch Altirra to NTSC everything seems to work well.

dung1.thumb.jpg.caee4e1d58127dab8ae3983911b6762f.jpg

With PAL, there are no spiders in the following levels, neither.

I have tried V1.2 from this topic and V1.2 from fandal.

Edited by MichaG

8 hours ago, MichaG said:

We play Dungeoneer in the actuall HSC-round, so I took a closer look at it.

When I enter level 2 or 3, there is no man visible and I die as soon as I move. The next man appears and I can go on playing.

This happens on real hardware (PAL-XEGS) and Altirra in PAL-mode. When I switch Altirra to NTSC everything seems to work well.

dung1.thumb.jpg.caee4e1d58127dab8ae3983911b6762f.jpg

With PAL, there are no spiders in the following levels, neither.

I have tried V1.2 from this topic and V1.2 from fandal.

Hi @MichaG, sorry you ran into this issue.  Dungeoneer was specifically developed for NTSC.  PAL mode will change colors, frame rates, etc. and could generally cause issues across the board for this game.

• 2 months later...

neat game, was able to loop it (finish all the levels and restart at level 1) twice. I think I found a bug, not sure. When you loop the levels, the spider gets faster - that's normal, game says so. But when you game over after that, and start a new game, the speed of the spider doesn't reset back to its original speed.

1 hour ago, TheRaven81 said:

neat game, was able to loop it (finish all the levels and restart at level 1) twice. I think I found a bug, not sure. When you loop the levels, the spider gets faster - that's normal, game says so. But when you game over after that, and start a new game, the speed of the spider doesn't reset back to its original speed.

Thank you for playing my game.  I've tried to reproduce the issue you've described and I've been unable to do so.  Just to verify, are you playing the latest version of the game v1.3? https://github.com/godlikemouse/atari-1200xl-asm/releases/tag/v1.3