IGNORED

New Game: Dungeoneer

Hi everyone,

I used to program on the Atari computers when I was a kid, I used BASIC back in the day but of course found it extremely limited.  Recently, I wanted to revisit the Atari and decided to learn 6502 assembler.  To help learn, I decided to build a game.  I'd like to share it with everyone here and see what you think.  I've attached the game (dungeoneer.xex) to this post.  You can find all the source code here as well if you're interested in how it was done: https://github.com/godlikemouse/atari-1200xl-asm

I'd also like to give a big shout out to Ed Salisbury who put together a YouTube channel that initially helped me get started.  You can learn more about that here:
http://youtube.com/MissionEdPossible

Thanks and enjoy!

screen1.png

dungeoneer.xex

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

31 minutes ago, tuf said:

So cool!  I'll be checking it out when I'm done with work.  Awesome that you returned to programming - I'd love to do the same myself.

Same here - did mostly BASIC with Atari, some very minor Assembly coding.  I can program C / C++ (did a Master's in Software Engineering), but I'm in Marketing.  I haven't coded in at least 20 years, and I wasn't good when I was proficient.

Goal was always to make games, this kind of stuff is inspirational and helps to motivate...I just need to learn more.

Good luck and also congrats to OP, well done!

• Like 2

Thanks @rdefabri, you should definitely give it a shot.  I really enjoyed learning how the system works at this level.  A few frustrations along the way of course, comes with making mistakes.  But overall, a great experience.  I hope you get the chance to build a game, I'd love to check it out :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Same here - did mostly BASIC with Atari, some very minor Assembly coding.  I can program C / C++ (did a Master's in Software Engineering), but I'm in Marketing.  I haven't coded in at least 20 years, and I wasn't good when I was proficient.

Goal was always to make games, this kind of stuff is inspirational and helps to motivate...I just need to learn more.

Good luck and also congrats to OP, well done!

I used to start working on so many games back in my 8-bit days-  Turbo Basic with some assembly, was redefining character sets, adding PM graphics etc.

A few months ago I had the idea to give it another go--   I'm a much better programmer now.      So designed a set of tiles for my 8-bit game.   But when I tried to code it, nothing was working--   changing the character set was giving weird results,  colors on screen are not what I set the registers to be,  it would crash.    I kept checking Mapping the Atari to figure out what I was doing wrong.   But it seemed like I was doing it right..   I ended up putting it on the back burner.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, godlikemouse said:

are you using any kind of custom BIOS or anything?  Also, what system are you emulating?

130XE normal BIOS, U1M, SIDE 3 although I'm not running the game from SIDE 3 just from the DOS prompt

Does it with PAL or NTSC selected

Edited by TGB1718

Nice Game !.  Like the wall Brick tiles, The same design of tiles probably can fit a game i'm working on. Can i get permission to use the same Brick wall tiles design in my game ?. Thanks. 

Edited by Grevle

17 hours ago, videofx said:

Super cool!

Thanks!

I always wanted to learn how to write a game in assembly language.

I will definitely learn fro your code!! :)

Thanks!

Bill

Thanks, also feel free to checkout the YouTube link.  That really helped me get going with this project.

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

130XE normal BIOS, U1M, SIDE 3 although I'm not running the game from SIDE 3 just from the DOS prompt

Does it with PAL or NTSC selected

It was originally built for NTSC, but I would assume it would run in PAL, probably just a little slower.  I would think that running the game directly would work just fine, that's odd.  Would you mind trying to instead using the "Load ROM" option from the menu and see if that helps?