IGNORED

UAV (Brewing Academy) Video Upgrade - XL vs XE

I have a question with respect to the Brewing Academy's UAV (Ultimate Atari Video) Upgrade.  It's mainly out of curiosity more than anything.  I'm very happy with the product but am just looking to understand something.  My question is this, I have multiple XL machines and multiple XE machines.  All machines have UAVs installed in them.  I'm using a monitor cable (Hercules Workshop) that connects to the S-Video port on the back of the TV.  The displays on all XL and XE machines look great, however, the XL machines show very subtle vertical bars across the screen in certain situations.  Such as, when the color of the screen is blue, they are more pronounced.  Has anyone else encountered this?  The XE machines look perfect on the display; no bars anywhere.  As I said, the UAV definitely produces a great display in all cases and the vertical bars are subtle, but I'm just curious as to why the XL machines would not produce the same perfect picture (ie. no vertical bars) as the XEs.

Thanks

Not saying that this is it, and I'm not sure how it affects UAV installs, but as I understand it from reading around here, the reference voltage for the color signal is 'marginal', and IIRC is not regulated.  So, fluctuations (due to changing loads) can affect the color.  I don't recall if UAV is affected by this or not.  I'm also not saying that that is what is causing your vertical bars, but I believe it one possibility.  Others that know about this or UAV more in depth can hopefully assist as well.  I know that the UAV has pads for additional power/ground.  You don't indicate how you have the ground/power made (power from 4050 socket, power from supply section, grounds, etc).

Also, if you have any differences in how you have the UAV installed in XL vs XE, (mounted in place of 4050, mounted on top of 4050, etc) may have an effect (if different) as well.

I don't own any XEs. They just aren't machines that I'm interested in. For that reason, I have nothing to compare to, but I've never noticed any vertical bars in the displays from any of my machines. I'm curious if you use the same display for all of your machines, or if you've noticed these vertical bars on multiple displays. I'd be curious to see some images of these vertical bars, as well as your displays from your XEs, just so I can compare them to mine and see exactly what you're talking about.

Show us some examples.

• Like 1