IGNORED

Berzerk 2600 vs. 800

sanny

I found 2600 version to be less sophisticated, not that any version arcade included is complicated in any big way.

But yeah, the computer version is a lot slower.  It looks to have a 2 frame delay between moves where 2600 might be 1.

Though I played 2600 in the JS emulator on Atarimania so it was probably using the NTSC version.

Other annoyances about the computer version - exiting a screen is annoyingly slow and even more so if there's speech beforehand.

And you shoot a robot and it takes near 1/4 of a second to decide that you've hit it and it should explode.

Arcade version speed - I'd put somewhere in between the two.

Wasn't a huge fan of Berzerk on the 800 (or arcade), the only reason it got a play was the speech, loved the speech, made me think I had an arcade machine in the house. Maze games were 10 a penny back then, and Berzerks hook (for me) was purely the speech and the way you could lure robots to blow each other up. As always, it's all personal..

My local had one - I think I played it once ever.  Although an early colour game and one of the first with speech, it was otherwise too simplistic for my liking.

Also, we had Shamus around the same time and it felt like a big step backwards seeing Berzerk.

Taking the cake though, it has a shockingly bad joystick compared to other 8-directional types of the time.

• Like 1