IGNORED

Using BBS and downloading files

NewcomerTI

On 5/29/2022 at 12:40 AM, NewcomerTI said:

There is other documentation that says to just hook up 2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 7 to 7 since at this time only software X-On and X-Off is needed.  I'll attempt this for the connection to see if there is a change.... 

The TI ring buffer (serial interrupt buffer) is ~255 bytes, so standard xmodem with 128 byte blocks is your best bet for Telco.  This also means that software handshaking should (in theory) never come into play, since the buffer should never reach the threshold needed to trigger a CTRL-S (and CTRL-Q) , at least with standard block sizes.

My bet is on the "phone line" or some translation issue, that hopefully Arcadeshopper can verify with his testing.

The last time I tried my modem with our supposed POTS line, I could not even achieve a connection at 300. 

• Like 1

Second RS232 card didn't communicate with the modem, no characters reported back to the screen, PIO worked though.  Found out that in other PEB system communicates with Midi Master to play through my keyboard so the data is flowing through the card - must not have the proper eprom written to it for my modem to echo back the commands i typed to it.  Opened clamshell and the Corcomp date was April 18, 1984 and eprom had a date of 3-16-1984, so it is likely suspect of needing a new eprom...
So after replacing/reseating the original card the downloading to the system did the same as before.

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

I am able to download fine using TIPI-mxt over telnet..  even through emulation ;) 

will set up a modem here and try telco on this end..   I only have the one phone line though, so I'll connect up modem to modem and try it that way.. 

have you tried MXT? 

I'm unfamiliar with the TIPI-mxt term.  What is  MXT ?? I don't see that as an option in download in Telco but maybe I'm missing something important that I haven't touched on yet...

No, I don’t have that program. Is it available and somewhere posted that I can download it for my system?  I have downloaded some from this forum that were CS1 recordings and they read on the data to transfer them to my TI system, and others that were *.dsk extensions that I got to transfer from the forum…

Be aware there are multiple versions of MXT out there.  I think there is both 40 and 80 column versions depending if you have a 9918 or 9938 VDP for a RS232 based system.  There is also a version for the TIPI that uses the telnet protocol.  If you do not have a TIPI, then make sure you find the RS232 based version.

Beery

• Like 2

Retrieved the MASS43 file from the FTP whtech site to transfer to the TI and attempted the Mass Transfer download. The MXT file transfer didn't successfully download the file.  The MXT program properly loads on the TI and I was able to get through the menus to attempt the file transfers, however the whole file didn't make it and was truncated or in other words never made it through with the file. It shows up as the correct size but when "ran" it doesn't... comes up with a syntax error and when "list" is entered only one line appears to be in the program.   I will try another dial up with the pc and the mac at times to see if either of those will download the file...

Edited by NewcomerTI
Needs more explanation

Found a copy of Fast Term and set up some parameters and logged in to 'the keep' but I'll need more documentation to get to the download menu which seems buried in the control keys or function keys.  Anyway if any one has the documentation for the Fast Term terminal program that would help...

Ok I set up a modem and dialed in back to back with the modem and it gets a few blocks in and errors out.. It may be a feature of the xmodem protocol on the BBS that is the problem. I'll see what I can figure out and get back to you

I know I've downloaded from the BBS in the past fine, however most of the time I use zmodem and a pc terminal.. not the 4/a.. 

Greg

52 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Ok I set up a modem and dialed in back to back with the modem and it gets a few blocks in and errors out.. It may be a feature of the xmodem protocol on the BBS that is the problem. I'll see what I can figure out and get back to you

I know I've downloaded from the BBS in the past fine, however most of the time I use zmodem and a pc terminal.. not the 4/a.. 

Greg

tested term80, mxt and both are doing it..  SO either a handshaking issue or just the BBS's transfer protocols having an issue. I'm going to test more.. 

I'm not using the right cable either, I just threw a black box handshake thing on the line that got it close enough to use as a terminal. 

Thanks Greg for looking into the issue.  I dialed in on the Mac and it gave the same condition of only downloading the 128 bytes,  I also attempted with the pc and with all the scanrios it has been pretty consistent with gettin the same result and only the 128 bytes.  I did do a pc telnet session and got one of the files to download then did a MFM over from the PC to the 4/a, additionally I am able to telnet on the Mac without any problem with logging in but I don't see a feature of downloading in terminal so I need to do some more investigative work to see how this is done...then I would need a transfer cable to go from the usb of the Mac to the 4/a if for some reason you're not able to correct the issue on the BBS. 

Just some info.........

I know a very long time ago when I ran QuickBBS, a MS-DOS (not MDOS) based BBS, I had to use a doorway program to handle file transfers. The default XMODEM (YMODEM/ZMODEM were there as well) file transfer method did not work for the TI-99/4A XMODEM protocol.  When my 9640News BBS was still accessible a couple of years ago running Mystic BBS software, I went through and made sure the XMODEM and XMODEM-1K protocols would (and did) work.

Beery

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 9640News said:

Just some info.........

I know a very long time ago when I ran QuickBBS, a MS-DOS (not MDOS) based BBS, I had to use a doorway program to handle file transfers. The default XMODEM (YMODEM/ZMODEM were there as well) file transfer method did not work for the TI-99/4A XMODEM protocol.  When my 9640News BBS was still accessible a couple of years ago running Mystic BBS software, I went through and made sure the XMODEM and XMODEM-1K protocols would (and did) work.

Beery

the fact that it works on a telnet session but not on modem leads me to handshaking issues  but the jury is still out

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a copy of the Hidden Reef ‘Allfiles’ (list describing all the downloadable files) on hand…I’ve tried to download this file to see what was in the 4A midi files folder - it downloads but it is not a d/v 80 file - I’ve attempted it several times and it says it’s transfer is successful each time but the file is either truncated or in a different format than described;  so I can’t see it or obtain a hard copy of the list of files there on the Hidden Reef…