IGNORED

STNICCC 2000 remix for Jaguar (2nd and WIP)

42bs

11 minutes ago, 42bs said:

IMHO the new PC style thinking of FPS makes no sense, since redraw during displaying the same screen results in scrambled display. I tried to blit the final screen to the display buffer, but for this the bus is to slow. So, there is not just tearing as with modern gfx cards.

Anyway, it outperforms 3DO ?

yes of course I know that, but it's just for a benchmark. To compare the time taken to render the exact same scene (1800 frames). The other bench test would be to determine if all frame can be rendered in 1 single VBL (60fps "rock solid" as we say).

5 hours ago, DEATH said:

on my Jaguar with the Skunkboard the screen background is not black (it makes a kind of white and pink grid)

I can confirm it. But have no idea. Maybe Skunk changes the ram timing..

The CLS is just writing zeros for DRAM, so no source reading involved.

As for the sound, I have a stereo jack in my Jaguar and have clear right and left channel. With 60Hz or 50Hz.

20 minutes ago, 42bs said:

I can confirm it. But have no idea. Maybe Skunk changes the ram timing..

The CLS is just writing zeros for DRAM, so no source reading involved.

As for the sound, I have a stereo jack in my Jaguar and have clear right and left channel. With 60Hz or 50Hz.

*lol* SKUNK does not touch CLUT[0] but JagGD and ROM.

So after "clearing" the first entry, the background is black.

• Like 1

ok, after doing some tests I realized that there was a lot of dust on the contact of the right channel ..... everything is ok now.
But not against it really seems to be a difference in the music between 60 and 50Hz. From 1'10" at 60Hz the sound seems slightly distorted, out of tune. You have to listen to the music for a long time, until the end. Hard to compare the 2 versions.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DEATH said:

From 1'10" at 60Hz the sound seems slightly distorted,

Ok, maybe I have to listen it side by side with a  version playing on PC. "In theory" is the music player 100% independent of 68k or GPU, but it needs the bus so.

Compared to the original the Jag version is running a lot faster. Doing a quick youtube investigation the video ( STNICCC 2000 demo by Oxygene, 2000 | Atari ST Demo ) starts at 0:38 and ends at 4:10 - so about 3 minutes 30 second. Don't get me wrong what you have done is nice :) it just reminds me of Benny Hill :)

Edited by Seedy1812

35 minutes ago, Seedy1812 said:

Compared to the original the Jag version is running a lot faster. Doing a quick youtube investigation the video ( STNICCC 2000 demo by Oxygene, 2000 | Atari ST Demo ) starts at 0:38 and ends at 4:10 - so about 3 minutes 30 second. Don't get me wrong what you have done is nice :) it just reminds me of Benny Hill :)

To be fair, the ST has no Blitter and runs at 8MHz, whereas the Jaguar uses a Blitter and a GPU with 26.6MHz. So the Jaguar _must_ be at least 3 times quicker.

Plus the MOD player runs completely in the DSP.

22 hours ago, 42bs said:

*lol* SKUNK does not touch CLUT[0] but JagGD and ROM.

So after "clearing" the first entry, the background is black.

Good to finally know that this is what causes those vertical stripes on a fresh display buffer.  I have seen this off and on while programming on the skunk, and never made this connection.  Now I know to always clear clut1[0] when my programs start to avoid this.

I would not say it is the fault of the firmware. If one uses the CLUT, one should initialize it correctly. Assuming certain values in registers is ok for special stuff like the size coding, but for a real thing.

• Like 1

Using DDA instead of Bresenham to calculate the edges, it runs now _always_ with 60FPS.

I get 5200 poly/s  or 86 polys/frame. I see no glitches, but might get "blind" meanwhile.

Bresenham includes to many branches it seems. And the single divide (two if Gouraud will be added) does not count much.

Now should give it a break.

jagniccc.zip

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seedy1812 said:

I don't know if this is a bug with me using Virtual Jaguar or the LSS Player but the mod sounds corrupted. This happens after 3 mins 11 seconds into the track ( loops every 4 min 12 secs )

I need to check. Did listen so often now that I turn off the volume meanwhile.

Edit: Right. Strange?!?

Edited by 42bs

29 minutes ago, Seedy1812 said:

I don't know if this is a bug with me using Virtual Jaguar , the LSS Player or the mod but it sounds corrupted. This happens after 3 mins 11 seconds into the track ( loops every 4 min 12 secs )

I mentioned it a little earlier in the comments. Try in PAL mode

7 hours ago, 42bs said:

Using DDA instead of Bresenham to calculate the edges, it runs now _always_ with 60FPS.

In the source codes included with the Graphic Gems collections was a line drawing algorithm called LINE.C. It looks like Eric Smith had separated it out and was going to use it for something. Maybe you should consider throwing that in there after running it through the risc compiler and see how that one does.

Edited by JagChris

4 hours ago, JagChris said:

In the source codes included with the Graphic Gems collections was a line drawing algorithm called LINE.C. It looks like Eric Smith had separated it out and was going to use it for something. Maybe you should consider throwing that in there after running it through the risc compiler and see how that one does.

do you mean This  @Eric R Smith ?