IGNORED

"Life on Mars: Genesis" for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive teaser trailer (W.I.P.)

Kai_Magazine

EDIT: The pre-order has just started!

(Thank you to the admin for allowing us to edit the first post! ^_^)

You can now pre-order the game at a reduced launch price on our online store (pre-orders for Japan will be handled by BEEP Akihabara):

https://kai-magazine-software.fwscart.com/

The first pre-order batch will last until October 1st.
Everyone who pre-orders the game during the first batch (before October 1st.) will be included in the special thanks section of the game manual.

The estimated release/shipping date is November/December of this year (2022).

Shipments will be made in order of payment and will last for 2 months.

If you still don't have our previous Genesis/Megadrive game: "Metal Dragon" you can include it in the pre-order so you will save on shipping costs ^_^

Box contents:

-Region free cartridge (works on cosnoles from USA, Europe and Japan)
-Box with reversible cover
-Full color instruction manual
-4 postcards

Playable demo download link:

https://mega.nz/file/Phon3D7R#dB71o8x-1pIP4KiT_9e_kbRDKcXqeEyMW7gli6caJjs

Controls:
-Keep START pressed to access the status/map screen
-Kress START to change the secondary weapon (when at least 2 are available)
-A button to shoot the plasma rifle
-B button to jump
-C button to use the secondary weapon

Intro and first 20 minutes of game-play:

Thank you everyone with your previous support with Metal Dragon!

Edited by Kai_Magazine
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The pre-order has just started!

You can now pre-order the game at a reduced launch price on our online store (pre-orders for Japan will be handled by BEEP Akihabara):

https://kai-magazine-software.fwscart.com/

The first pre-order batch will last until October 1st.
Everyone who pre-orders the game during the first batch (before October 1st.) will be included in the special thanks section of the game manual.

The estimated release/shipping date is November/December of this year (2022).

Shipments will be made in order of payment and will last for 2 months.

If you still don't have our previous Genesis/Megadrive game: "Metal Dragon" you can include it in the pre-order so you will save on shipping costs ^_^

Box contents:

-Region free cartridge (works on cosnoles from USA, Europe and Japan)
-Box with reversible cover
-Full color instruction manual
-4 postcards

Playable demo download link:

https://mega.nz/file/Phon3D7R#dB71o8x-1pIP4KiT_9e_kbRDKcXqeEyMW7gli6caJjs

Controls:
-Keep START pressed to access the status/map screen
-Kress START to change the secondary weapon (when at least 2 are available)
-A button to shoot the plasma rifle
-B button to jump
-C button to use the secondary weapon

Trailer:

• Thanks 1

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

Ordered! Awesome!

BTW... as they have reversible covers... what does the other side look like then?

Thanks a lot!
There are 2 possibilities:

If you order the USA genesis version or the Japanese version, One side has the USA Genesis style and the other side has the japanese version.

If you order any European version, classic or modern (blue) you will have them both, one on each side.

just like with Metal dragon.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:47 AM, Kai_Magazine said:

Yes, we plan on contacting Evercade once the sales of this game slow down.

NOOOOOOOOOO.  That means my Evercade owning brother is probably going to get both Metal Dragon and Life on Mars on one cart for less than half the price I paid for just one of the games on the Genesis.  The same thing happened with Xeno Crisis and Tanglewood. That makes me just want to give up on Genesis after market games and get an Evercade instead.  I can handle the longer wait if it means I eventually get the games for way cheaper.

3 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

NOOOOOOOOOO.  That means my Evercade owning brother is probably going to get both Metal Dragon and Life on Mars on one cart for less than half the price I paid for just one of the games on the Genesis.  The same thing happened with Xeno Crisis and Tanglewood. That makes me just want to give up on Genesis after market games and get an Evercade instead.  I can handle the longer wait if it means I eventually get the games for way cheaper.

Interesting approach. I see your point and how bad this could be for future releases.

We will think about it.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yep, after a long and hard debate of approximately 3.5 minutes we decided "insertclevernamehere" (which is a pretty clever name itself) is right. 

Doing that, at least so soon would devaluate our games greatly and affect negatively on our sales and proffits, which are very low as they are all things considered (it's not the same making 2 milion units in the 90's than making 1500 units today. The costs are much higher for making such a low number of physical games).

So we should wait at least 5 years before we even contemplate "selling out" to cheap retail.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Kai_Magazine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kai_Magazine said:

Yep, after a long and hard debate of approximately 3.5 minutes we decided "insertclevernamehere" (which is a pretty clever name itself) is right. 

Doing that, at least so soon would devaluate our games greatly and affect negatively on our sales and proffits, which are very low as they are all things considered (it's not the same making 2 milion units in the 90's than making 1500 units today. The costs are much higher for making such a low number of physical games).

So we should wait at least 5 years before we even contemplate "selling out" to cheap retail.

What do you guys think?

Many thanks.  I don't resent people getting these games cheaper in a package eventually but some of them, like Xeno Crisis ended up on the Evercade way too soon.  I appreciate margins are tight for developers of games for older machines and I love that you exist and in large part do it for the love more than the money, but at the same time, you gotta pay the bills.  It would be nice if developers were upfront with future intentions towards their games so we could make an informed decision on whether to purchase the game for whatever classic console it is made for or whether to hold out for a cheaper alternative down the road.  Love Metal Dragon by the way.  I bought that last year and will be purchasing Life on Mars too.

On 8/10/2022 at 4:51 PM, Kai_Magazine said:

What do you guys think?

I think if @insertclevernameherewants to sell his copy of Xenocrisis for what he paid for it so he can afford an Evercade and a copy of Xenocrisis for it, there would be a thousand people lining up to buy it. I would look at the eBay prices of the out-of-print indie games on Evercade before assuming that it will hurt resale values at all.

I can give opposite evidence: I have bought ten indie games that I already had on Evercade, mostly from their original publishers, and when games like Böbl and SpaceGulls get a physical release I will be getting them too.

Consider the Nintendo Switch digital vs physical market: games that are released digitally are released for cheap, sometimes YEARS earlier than their physical counterparts. Yet even though the Switch limited release physical releases cost 3x or more the price of the digital release, they sell out and often quickly fetch 3x what the physical edition originally cost, or 10x what the digital edition that is freely available costs.

I think you should do what makes sense to you as creators. If you want more people to enjoy your games, releasing them on Evercade or other modern systems would be a good idea. If you want them to be enjoyed on real physical hardware, maybe keep printing them. I think making them both limited edition and on exclusive hardware benefits resellers and price speculators (and game pirates - look at the dozens of different bootleggers selling Xenocrisis on eBay alone!) and nobody else. But it is your decision to make, one way or another.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...