IGNORED

Intellivision Programmer's Questionnaire - 2022

Intellivision Programmer's Questionnaire - 2022  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What programming language do you use?

• IntyBASIC (BAS)
    • Assembly Language (ASM)
    • Other (please post a comment with your preference)
  2. 2. I chose my preferred programming language because ...

• BAS: I love BASIC!
    • BAS: Assembly Language is too hard.
    • BAS: I am not a programmer by trade, so BASIC seems easier to learn.
    • BAS: I hate Assembly Language.
    • BAS: IntyBASIC offers the features I need.
    • BAS: The IntyBASIC SDK makes programming games simpler.
    • BAS: There isn't a comparable Assembly SDK to make programming more accessible.
    • BAS: I already knew BASIC, so I'm comfortable with it.
    • ASM: I love Assembly, it gives me full power of the machine.
    • ASM: I hate BASIC.
    • ASM: That's what I know, and I can't be bothered to learn anything new.
    • ASM: IntyBASIC doesn't do everything I want.
    • ASM: The IntyBASIC programming model is different from mine.
    • ASM: I have my own Assembly Language library already that works for me.
    • ASM: I don't like "SDK" and frameworks that try to do stuff for me.
  3. 3. What media do you ultimately target with your games?

• Emulation (ROM) - Any emulator
    • Emulation (ROM) - jzIntv specifically
    • Hardware (PCB) - Old-school 16K classic "Mattel" cartridge
    • Hardware (PCB) - JLP (From LTO)
    • Hardware (Flash) - LTO Flash! or CC3
    • Hardware (PCB) - Anything or everything out there.
    • Hardware (PCB) - Other (please post a comment with your preference)
  4. 4. If your target platform supports "special features," which ones do you actually use?

• On-board non-volatile memory (Flash RAM) -- for save-states, high-score tables, etc.
    • On-board extended memory (Cartridge RAM) -- for additional game variables, etc.
    • ROM Bank-switching -- for extra-large games.
    • On-board hardware-accelerated functions (math routines, etc.).
    • Digital Rights Management (DRM) hardware encryption -- to protect ROMs from unauthorized copy.
    • None, I'm not familiar with what those are.
    • None, I try to keep it "old-school."
  5. 5. If you use jzIntv as part of your development environment, which features do you actually use?

• Just the emulator to run and test my game.
    • Simple online debugger (breakpoints, watches, register and memory peek & poke, etc.)
    • Advanced source-level debugging (all online debugging features, plus source file and symbol mapping)
    • Custom color-palette.
    • Custom input/keyboard mapping (hackfile).
    • Snap screenshots (e.g., to review or fix graphics and design, or to illustrate in-game graphics).
    • Record video (e.g., for troubleshooting game-play behaviour, or to show trailers of in-game play).
    • Record audio (e.g., for troubleshooting sound-effects, or to share music tracks with users).
    • Switch between NTSC and PAL hardware emulation (i.e., to test on both frame-rates).
    • Expanded GRAM.
    • Emulation speed rate control (e.g., "macho" flag).
    • JLP hardware acceleration features.
    • EMU-Link file I/O support.
    • Emulated ECS tape controls.
    • "Cheat" codes.
    • Record voice samples.
    • I have no idea what any of these things are!
  6. 6. Which of the following features do you consider "standard" in modern Intellivision home-brew development?

• 42K memory map.
    • Cartridge RAM (for game variables).
    • Flash RAM (for save-states).
    • Bank-switching (for extra-large games).
    • 60hz frame-rates.
    • Voice synthesis (i.e. with an Intellivoice add-on).
    • 6-channel audio (i.e. with an ECS add-on)
    • Cartridge hardware-acceleration features.
    • In-game music and sound effects.
  7. 7. Which of the following programming libraries/features do you use or would use if they were available in your language of choice?

• Pseudo-random number generator.
    • Hand-controller decoder (i.e., it will debounce and decode, and trigger events without having to poll manually).
    • Music player/tracker.
    • Sound effects engine.
    • Timers for triggering periodic or timed events.
    • Sprite motion engine (i.e., set velocities in X/Y axes and their positions are updated automatically).
    • Smooth scrolling.
    • Text-to-speech.
    • Sprite animation engine (i.e., give an array of picture cards and a frame-rate, and the sprite is updated automatically).
    • Optimized physics functions (projectile trajectory, convergence, acceleration, friction, gravity, etc.).
    • Optimized trigonometry functions (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.).
    • Collisions engine (i.e., define regions or bounding-boxes, and it will trigger events automatically when objects collide).
    • An Integrated Development Environment (IDE, like Visual Code, XCode, Eclipse, etc.).
    • Locally scoped or lexical variables (e.g., local to a subroutine)
    • Parametized subroutine calls (i.e., like standard BASIC subroutines with input argument variables).
    • Parametized function calls (i.e., like standard BASIC subroutines, with input argument variables, that return a value).
    • Software sprite engine (i.e., for moving objects drawn in the background).
    • Bloxel bitmap routines (i.e., using Colored Squares mode and treating the screen as a bitmap of "blocky pixels").
    • Strutctured programming (i.e., Gosub instead Goto, encapsultion of functionality, etc.).
    • Nothing, I just need access to the hardware and a compiler or assembler, and I can do everything myself.
  8. 8. The primary reason you program Intellivision games is ...

• for fun! fun! fun!
    • to get my name "out there."
    • to help others with their own projects.
    • for the challenge.
    • to keep busy during summer vacation, train commute, rainy days, etc.
    • It keeps quiet the voices in my head.
    • as a side job for spare cash (beer money, pay rent, medical bills, gambling debt, vices, etc.)
    • as part of reverse-engineering research or historical preservation efforts.
    • other. (Please post a comment with your reasons.)
  9. 9. As a programmer, I am actively working -- or plan on working -- on the following type of games ...

• Classic game ports
    • Original property (possibly inspired by, but not reproducing, classic games)
    • Shoot 'em ups
    • Real-time strategy (RTS)
    • Puzzle and logic
    • Dungeon crawlers
    • Educational
    • Classic adventure (like the old Lucas Arts or Sierra games, etc.)
    • Side-scrollers
    • Platformers
    • Christmas or Holiday themed
    • Board game ports
    • Maze
    • Arcade action
    • Survival horror
    • Party games
    • Sport simulations
    • Enhancements, additions, or "hacks" to classic games
    • Not games: Compilers, frameworks, libraries, and other development tools
    • Not games: Reproduction or preservation of vintage hardware or software from the early Intellivision days
    • Other (please post a comment with your preferences)
  10. 10. As a programmer, I think Intellivision games should ...

• be original titles.
    • cover more ports of the classic titles.
    • have fluid sprite animation and motion.
    • include multiple levels, stages, scenes, etc.
    • have cool & original music and sound-effects during game-play.
    • have custom graphical title or splash screens.
    • include cut-scenes or interstitial screens to add interest to the game.
    • have interesting story, theme, or characters that give the game depth.
    • support two players (co-op).
    • support two players (pvp).
    • support save-states.
    • be easier to play for casual gamers.
    • be harder and more challenging for hardcore gamers.
    • have cool easter eggs for the player to discover.
    • be funny, whimsical, quirky, or otherwise plain old fun.
    • be serious and tackle weighty subjects.
    • be cheaper than they are now.
    • be more expensive than they are now.
    • be grouped into distinct price or quality categories.
    • support a variety of genres, categories, or styles.
    • focus only on the most popular genres, categories, or styles.
    • be published in glossy boxes with extra "feelies."
    • Other (please post a comment with your thoughts on Intellivision games)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/31/2022 at 03:59 PM

Welcome to the second not-quite-annual Intellivision Programmer's Questionnaire.  The last time we did this poll, we all got a kick out of discovering the trends in our community.  It's now time to see how we've progressed.  In that spirit, I invite every Intellivision programmer to review the questions and provide their honest answers.

It does not matter if you are actively working on a project, or haven't touched the compiler in a few years.  It does not matter if your are new to the platform, a veteran, or just playing around with the IntyBASIC programming books -- if you intend to write some code for our little console, we want your feedback!

When a question asks for a single answer, just pick the one most appropriate.  When multiple answers are requested, make sure to select all that apply.  I encourage you to be honest and thoughtful, for your sincere feedback can only make this community stronger.

The poll will run until the end of July to give everybody plenty of time to post their answers.  To avoid unduly influencing answers based on popular choices, all answers will remain hidden until the poll closes.

If you have any questions or if you think something needs to be fixed or added to the poll, just post a comment below.  You are all encouraged to discuss this topic and provide general feedback to the programming community below.

For reference, the previous poll from 2018 can be found here:

Thank you all in advance!

- dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
Added link to previous poll.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

For #8 and #9, I chose "other" because a LOT of the code I write for the Intellivision is research or reverse engineering code.  These include the Kiosk Multiplexer, the ECS's UART, and KC related hardware.

Ah, thanks!  I completely forgot about the very valid research or historical preservation use case (you, Joe Z., decle, Ron The Cat, etc.).  I'll see if I can update the poll to include that option as well.

Updated:

• To #8 I added:
    • "as part of reverse-engineering research or historical preservation efforts."
  • To #9 I added:
    • "Not games: Compilers, frameworks, libraries, and other development tools"
    • "Not games: Reproduction or preservation of vintage hardware or software from the early Intellivision days"

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

Ah, thanks!  I completely forgot about the very valid research or historical preservation use case (you, Joe Z., decle, Ron The Cat, etc.).  I'll see if I can update the poll to include that option as well.

Updated:

• To #8 I added:
    • "as part of reverse-engineering research or historical preservation efforts."
  • To #9 I added:
    • "Not games: Compilers, frameworks, libraries, and other development tools"
    • "Not games: Reproduction or preservation of vintage hardware or software from the early Intellivision days"

-dZ.

Awesome, thanks!

Not a big deal, but when the final count is done, add 1 to each of the new items since I can't go back and change my answers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zendocon said:

My one "other" answer was for a list of things I'm developing.  I count my Bump & Jump level editor and "A Better Mousetrap" ("Super Pro" Mousetrap upgrade) as legit projects.

Cool.  So, what would you suggest would cover them in the list ...? How about "enhancements or hacks to existing titles"?

49 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

Awesome, thanks!

Not a big deal, but when the final count is done, add 1 to each of the new items since I can't go back and change my answers.

Aha!  Good point.  By the way, I myself cannot see the answers either until the close date.

dZ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zendocon said:

My one "other" answer was for a list of things I'm developing.  I count my Bump & Jump level editor and "A Better Mousetrap" ("Super Pro" Mousetrap upgrade) as legit projects.

I added the following choice to that question:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

I added the following choice to that question:

That's a good name.  The old Burgertime level editor is another example of a non-game project that belongs in that category, plus all of the "Super Pro" projects from @intvdave

I'm not sure whether my Portable Intellivision Development Environment falls within SDKs, as it's a whole dev environment with no special dev tools of its own.  The same goes for PIDEjL/PIDEGS, two front-ends I developed for playing/making games within my PIDE.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:22 AM, DZ-Jay said:

Yes, we would probably never have seen Conversational French or the other KC software if it wasn't for all their efforts.  Many thanks to all involved.  The same goes for reverse-engineering the Tutorvision and adding support to jzIntv, as well as virtual ECS tapes.

In addition, I admire the @decle emulators Studiovision and Li'l Bro ii.  I'm not sure whether those deserve their own category, or whether they would fit into one of the existing ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zendocon said:

That's a good name.  The old Burgertime level editor is another example of a non-game project that belongs in that category, plus all of the "Super Pro" projects from @intvdave

Yeah, I was also thinking about Dave’s work as well.

I'm not sure whether my Portable Intellivision Development Environment falls within SDKs, as it's a whole dev environment with no special dev tools of its own.  The same goes for PIDEjL/PIDEGS, two front-ends I developed for playing/making games within my PIDE.

I would classify those under “compilers, frameworks, and other development tools.”

To me, a fully integrated development environment is all of the above. ;)

At the very least, they fall under “other development tools.”

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Yes, we would probably never have seen Conversational French or the other KC software if it wasn't for all their efforts.  Many thanks to all involved.  The same goes for reverse-engineering the Tutorvision and adding support to jzIntv, as well as virtual ECS tapes.

Hear! Hear!

In addition, I admire the @decle emulators Studiovision and Li'l Bro ii.  I'm not sure whether those deserve their own category, or whether they would fit into one of the existing ones.

Nah.  I don’t even know if those qualify under “Intellivision development” anyway.

Still, I think they can fall under the “historical preservation” category, no?

dZ.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

Nah.  I don’t even know if those qualify under “Intellivision development” anyway.

Still, I think they can fall under the “historical preservation” category, no?

dZ.

Probably "historical preservation" I guess.  I would certainly consider it development myself.

• Like 1

So far, we've got ten participants in the poll.  I'm sure there are a lot more programmers.  I encourage all programmers to chip in -- it only takes a few minutes.  It would be neat to get the pulse of the community with regards to the current standing technology and development goals. :)

Please make sure to spread the word to any other Intellivision programmers you may know that may not have visited the forum in a while.

-dZ.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 6:18 PM, carlsson said:

I just posted a link from the FB group Intellivision Homebrew Games.

Thanks.

I also updated the first post with a link to the first poll from 2018.  Gosh, I can believe it has been almost 4 years to the day!

-dZ.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump!  Just reminding all Intellivision programmers, hackers, tinkerers, and technologically curious, to take some time and participating in the poll.  We're up to 14 participants, which is great, but I'm sure there are a heckuvalot more of you out there.  (The last time, 4 years ago, we had 17, and I know we've seen some new-comers in that time.)

There's no secret agenda, no special plan, and no real aim -- except perhaps to offer the community some insight into any developing trends. :)

And to those who participated already, thanks!

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...